Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up MoM in a trade and looked over the rules last night. I'm planning on playing it next week with 3 others (myself as the Keeper and 3 Investigators). I'm planning on playing the 1st scenario since it seems the smallest and shortest. I figure since it's our first time playing, I don't want to drag it out too long.

Is there anything I need to know to look out for? Any often forgotten rules that I might need to be aware of? Common blunders? I've heard some disappointing comments about the game and want to learn from the veterans before I make any mistakes. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeper:
- Don't read ahead, especially the event cards! Be as surprised on your first play through as your players.
- Remember you are not a GM trying to make a fun night of role playing, you are an evil house trying to destroy the interloping investigators.
- A threat saved is a threat earned, always have enough to activate likely to occur Mythos cards.
- Cards are life
- Know what cards you intend to play and which ones you simply cannot (and stop looking at them for now).
- Never tell the investigators "I have no cards to play left, go ahead." Keep them guessing.

Investigators:
- Do... Not... Deviate... From... The... Clue... Path... They are your first priority and everything else is secondary.
- Keep near enough to allow relaying of the keys. Have reasons to split up.
- Remember that puzzles hold important things, but if it's not a clue, it's secondary (see first point)
- Run!
- Announce when an Investigator is starting to move and wait for the (new) Keeper. Then pause after each step/action for the same reason... Remember you're all learning.
- Duke knows more than baked beans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Keeper:
- Don't read ahead, especially the event cards! Be as surprised on your first play through as your players.

This is the only one I would disagree with. It's often essential for the keeper to know what is coming up on the event cards in order for him to have any kind of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Keeper:

This is the only one I would disagree with. It's often essential for the keeper to know what is coming up on the event cards in order for him to have any kind of strategy.

I actually believe it's unfair to read ahead on them, at least for a first playing.

After you have a table who knows that something bad happens on event 2, then it's fair for everyone to know.

So if you look ahead, I would say you're obligated to share that information with your players.

No reason to rob new players of their first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Keeper:

I actually believe it's unfair to read ahead on them, at least for a first playing.

After you have a table who knows that something bad happens on event 2, then it's fair for everyone to know.

So if you look ahead, I would say you're obligated to share that information with your players. Since you don't want to do that...

I would say the best thing to do is simply to ask your players what they would prefer. Tell them that with only you knowing what comes on the events it will give you a small advantage, but will help preserve the story for them to experience. Then let them decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:

Quote:

5) Event Step
During this step, the keeper places one time token on top of the Event
deck. If the number of time tokens then equals the time number on
the back of the top Event card, then the keeper resolves the card. To
resolve an Event card, the keeper discards the time tokens on it, flips
the card over, reads the appropriate text aloud, and resolves its effects.
The face of each Event card lists up to three different effects, which
vary based upon the keeper’s story choice marker. When resolving an
Event card that has multiple effects, the keeper only reads aloud and
resolves the effect matching the letter on his matching story choice
marker (for example the “1A” section if he has story choice marker
“1A”).
The keeper and investigators may not look at the face of an Event card
until it is resolved.

Emphasis added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
From the rules:

Quote:

5) Event Step
During this step, the keeper places one time token on top of the Event
deck. If the number of time tokens then equals the time number on
the back of the top Event card, then the keeper resolves the card. To
resolve an Event card, the keeper discards the time tokens on it, flips
the card over, reads the appropriate text aloud, and resolves its effects.
The face of each Event card lists up to three different effects, which
vary based upon the keeper’s story choice marker. When resolving an
Event card that has multiple effects, the keeper only reads aloud and
resolves the effect matching the letter on his matching story choice
marker (for example the “1A” section if he has story choice marker
“1A”).
The keeper and investigators may not look at the face of an Event card
until it is resolved.

Emphasis added.

I don't care.

Emphasis added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with BT here. I find it is still possible to win as a Keeper without knowledge of the Events, as everyone is as surprised by what happens the first time around.
Granted, reading them gives the Keeper an advantage. But this advantage is not the make-or-break point for him.
Also, do not forget that usually the Events are positive for the Keeper anyway...

In terms of story, I do not understand how knowing in advance what will happen (mechanically) on the board does help create a more coherent or logical story. The story itself is secondary to the Keeper, anyway...

Edit:
Wow, guys, take hostility down a notch. BT is right, rules-wise. However you houserule is your prerogative, bleached_lizard. There are pro as well as contra arguments here. None is better than the other, so let the OP choose...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I've already looked at the cards? How do I unknow what I already know?! blush

Actually, my memory sucks. I'll totally forget by next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the same for me. I have already played 6 different scenarios, and hell knows I will be as surprised by the events next time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inform the players their turns will be taken slowly to give the new Keeper a chance to react with each step, since the Keeper has to compare the position of the player after every move to the conditions of the Mythos cards to play. So no skipping ahead through a turn, please.

A few owners use business-card holders (with four-to-eight slots) to hold the various Keeper cards, making it easier to keep track of all the stacks.

As Keeper, don't read the cards verbatim. Change the references to the current scenario so the players feel involved, 'the monster' can be 'the witch' or 'the zombie that just stumbled in'. It helps the atmosphere, really.

It will occasionally take many flips to find an appropriate card for combat resolution, this is normal.

Players should be aware of the random nature of combat. You can't ever depend on a particular skill being useful for any particular combat, even if it doesn't seem sensical. The card drawn will call out a particular skill which is what will be used, which may call for strength when throwing or firing a weapon, sometimes. Just have options.

Don't help or kibitz the player solving a puzzle, the Keeper will punish.

Players DO NOT GET TO PICK UP the NIFTY CREATURES! There is private information underneath for the Keeper's eyes only. The Keeper may let you know if all information is known later.

Players DO NOT GET TO PICK UP THE SPELL CARDS! Admire them lying there on the table tempting you to read them. They only look identical, the back is a random resolution chart you get to find out what actually happens when you risk it.

There ARE rooms Players CAN NOT GET INTO. All the important areas to win are available.

If you're players facing a large yard on fire with zombies, rush underground, it's your only chance. And it is slim and fading as you're reading this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

Since you already plan to play the Lynch Mansion, prepare the cards a day or two before your game session - sorting out all the various cards and monsters you won't need. You also should build the Mansions once or twice in order to get used to it.

Why? Because you will need plenty of time setting up the game when you meet with your friends - the first time I set up Lynch, it took me more then half an hour, the second time a little less, Inner Sanctum took me more then an hour, while I "only" needed about half an hour for Blood Ties which I prepared ahead ... ; if you play at your place and your friends visit you, prepare the game a day before and consider my first paragraph bogus.

About the Event-Deck - it is true that the rules tell you not to read the cards ahead; I did as I played the game a couple of times. And it really surprised me in the beginning as well. This is kind of fun. But actually this rules makes no sense, because over the time you will play the game a couple of times; and then you will learn and remember the cards more and more ...

What else ... Let me think ...

DOUBLECHECK THE SET-UP OF YOUR GAME. If you place items and clues on wrong places, the story may become broken and you as a Keeper have to skip a turn - yeah, that's right; if you mess up the set-up, then the game punishes you!

Last tip: If the players of the investigators are "good" and "quick", they will have managed to uncover the story of the Lynch-Mansion in about 10 round (or maybe even less? (fastest way to go: 7 rounds); the event-deck ends after 16 rounds; you are in no hurry with this particular scenario.

About the mythos cards: There are some that may be used only in certain rooms; "learn" them, understand them, study the map ahead and recognize those places; this is what I did wrong the first several times I played the game. So I became a "buzzkiller", because I slowed the game down a lot by trying to understand and fully "grab the meaning" of mythos cards.

As you see: The role of the Keeper is not trivial. But regardless of that, there is one most important thing:

Enjoy your (not only) first game-session.

All the best!
Mad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
And regarding the scenario you've chosen, I'd advise running objective 1B. It's generally the most interesting of the three objectives and is my default for introducing new players to the game.

Also, for a new group playing the scenario designed for new players, relay-dropping is absolutely not a necessary tactic, and pretending it is will likely just turn them off the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.