Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to lie to you. That was awesome.

Although it would have been even more awesome if ...
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Martin Sheen was the director. Just to really bring that West Wing feeling home.

Actually, right at the end of the movie I was expecting ...

That the dude was a virgin, and he'd kill her to end it.

I'll probably have to watch it on video so that I can try and figure out all the references (in the cubes). I caught a fair number, but they all went by so fast.

$7 well spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lives up to the hype for me, Just got back from it. A really good movie! Give it a big opening weekend please!

I watched it surrounded by a mom with a stable of what may have been 10-12 year olds. The mom and kids talked like they were at home on the couch. And a guy beside me who from his comments of "whoooa... holy shit... whhoooooaaa" gave me the impression that he had never seen a movie before.

They all watched it through the lens of a normal horror movie it seemed, and didn't appreciate the 'deeper' stuff that was going on. And this movie isn't terribly deep. It wasn't like we were watching Jacobs ladder or the Hunger here.

Great movie, tons of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Joss Whedon knows how to put some really groovy stories together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Joss Whedon did this? I'm... marginally more interested in it all of a sudden. I mean, the commercials looked kind of intriguing, but I couldn't say why so I brushed it off as just being vague enough to keep people interested... but now I might actually consider seeing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
Joss Whedon did this? I'm... marginally more interested in it all of a sudden. I mean, the commercials looked kind of intriguing, but I couldn't say why so I brushed it off as just being vague enough to keep people interested... but now I might actually consider seeing it.

I totally concur!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:

They all watched it through the lens of a normal horror movie it seemed, and didn't appreciate the 'deeper' stuff that was going on.

Yeah, if you don't watch horror movies you'll miss some jokes. Reviews from people who don't watch horror movies are a bit puzzled/negative. It reminds me of when I went to see Penn and Teller in Vegas -- the folks next to me in the cab line (leaving) hadn't really seen any magic acts. P&T weren't what they were expecting, at all. You can't appreciate the meta humor if you don't know the meta.

Cabin in the Woods isn't that bad. It spells some stuff out explicitly, but it does just wink at a lot of it (or puts it in the background).

Apparently the end credits (which I didn't stick around to see) give names to a lot of the monsters (when crediting the actor), and some of them are funny.

I don't expect a big opening weekend, but I think it will become a minor favorite, maybe a cult hit. I'll certainly watch it again on Netflix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience pretty much echoes Brian's. The best moment for me in the film was when

somebody randomly intoned in the deepest possible voice, "okay, asshole, turn off the phone," and it actually wasn't me saying it for once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I of course love horror movies and watch many.

My two friends however approached it as a regular horror movie (they seemed rather unaware of the work of Joss Whedon or the concept of self-awareness and self-reference within a particular genre) and described it as mostly random stuff happening. The concept, as it was revealed through the movie, was pretty straight forward (and at the same time clever) for me and the content made it fun; my friends however had very critical "and what was up with..." questions.

I'll most likely be adding it to my Blu-ray collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:

I don't like (on the verge of hate) horror movies, I like some 'suspense' movies. This looks like something I'd dislike, but the Whedon name has me very curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it rather gory or not?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not at the extreme end of gore, but there is plenty of gore, and implied gore, and attempted shock value. I believe that, for me, there were no actually shocking or remotely frightening moments in the film. The movie is essentially a wink and a nod to the horror genre, rather than part of it. I'm sure an 8-year old would disagree entirely with this theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
We went to see it at the last minute today, and it took me a while to think about it to really appreciate it, but I did. My favorite part was when

Super Grover flew in at the end and rescued the survivors from Oscar the Grouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Saw it yesterday, and I really dug it. There's an awful lot to chew on!

Clearly, the movie seems to be "sequel-proof", with such a definitive ending. But a prequel showing how the monsters were captured/created could be hip.

I'm left wanting to know what all of the references were. I remember them mentioning other countries' programs which failed. What movies were referenced, here? I get the impression that there isn't an inch of film which wasn't inserted purposefully, so I'm sure all of the asides and throwaways were dripping with source material.

I also wonder who it was that was sabotaging the facility's endeavors. At first I thought that they were meant to be cold administrators of Hell, and so God was interfering. But in the end they seem to be almost kind of good guys, in their own fashion. So who laced the pot and rigged the circuits?

Speaking of pot, I think that the coffee cup bong got the loudest reaction from the beach/college crowd that we saw the movie with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
I don't like (on the verge of hate) horror movies, I like some 'suspense' movies. This looks like something I'd dislike, but the Whedon name has me very curious.

I loved Cabin in the Woods. I don't like horror or suspense unless there is something else going on like good action, humor, or plot. Cabin has all of that. It is closer to Buffy than Jaws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:

I also wonder who it was that was sabotaging the facility's endeavors. At first I thought that they were meant to be cold administrators of Hell, and so God was interfering. But in the end they seem to be almost kind of good guys, in their own fashion. So who laced the pot and rigged the circuits?

It appeared to me that the explosives failed because the stoner (Marty?) was playing with the wiring. In that case, they didn't mean upstairs as "The Powers that be" they meant it literally, "the people above us." I don't think it's fully explained.

The pot just seems like a mistake, which the Chemistry Dept gal (Amy Acker) admits to later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Bankler wrote:
Holmes! wrote:

It appeared to me that the explosives failed because the stoner (Marty?) was playing with the wiring. In that case, they didn't mean upstairs as "The Powers that be" they meant it literally, "the people above us." I don't think it's fully explained.

The pot just seems like a mistake, which the Chemistry Dept gal (Amy Acker) admits to later on.

Ah! That makes sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved this movie. It was an amazing homage to horror movies.

SPOILERS AHEAD. WILL RUIN THE MOVIE FOR YOU IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN IT. (I know people know what the spoiler tags are for, its just... these will extra ruin the movie for you.)

I also thought he was going to be the virgin at the end.

I'm going to have to buy this movie, because I want to see all the monsters in the cubes and their "tokens" in the begining and the names on the white board. I know you have the "Hellraiser" guy from the puzzle and he was great. For some reason I also loved that robot scorpion.

The absolute best part has to be when he sees the Merman though. For some reason that name stuck out on the whiteboard to me."C'mon" has to be the greatest dying line since "Clever girl" in Jurassic Park.

Here's a link to a shot of the Whiteboard, for anybody who is interested.

http://screencrush.com/white-board-the-cabin-in-the-woods

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a screen capture of the whiteboard in the AICN interview with the director. Lots of spoilers, of course.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55082
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cabin in the Woods is this years Inception. It's the movie you absolutely must see and absolutely can't talk about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hrhtomas wrote:
Cabin in the Woods is this years Inception. It's the movie you absolutely must see and absolutely can't talk about.

Pass. Watched redlettermedia's review - good enough. I know I wouldn't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this today.

Great movie.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Anderson
United States
Schertz
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would nearly classify the movie as a sub-genre of horror; the slasher film.

It meets the two biggest requirements:
1. Gratuitous use of blood-effects or "gore"
2. GBS (gratuitous boob shot) when a woman bears all with no implication to advance the story or develop a character.

It was a refreshing twist on the genre, and I did enjoy it, even admire its efforts for using such a cliched setup in a unique and original way.

As horror movies go, I give this the highest praise and say "I would actually watch that again."

disclaimer: My wife makes me go see every horror movie that comes out, so I have "some" frame of reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
docandy31 wrote:

It meets the two biggest requirements:
1. Gratuitous use of blood-effects or "gore"
2. GBS (gratuitous boob shot) when a woman bears all with no implication to advance the story or develop a character.

It was a refreshing twist on the genre, and I did enjoy it, even admire its efforts for using such a cliched setup in a unique and original way.

As horror movies go, I give this the highest praise and say "I would actually watch that again."

disclaimer: My wife makes me go see every horror movie that comes out, so I have "some" frame of reference.

Your wife forces you to watch movies with gratuitous boob shots. You have my deepest condolences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leesa
United States
louisville
ky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the movie my daughter wants to see. The hubby and I actually went and saw The Raven. it was OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docandy31 wrote:

I understand your theory but disagree with this statement.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.