Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us who never played the original but may be interested in getting a copy (if it looks fun) can anyone point me to some videos of what the game plays like? There's none on here and I can't find any on Youtube either. Weird for such an old and popular game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Stabliser
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We didnt have youtube back in the day, maybe theres an old cinefilm of an ogre game somewhere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stabliser123 wrote:
We didnt have youtube back in the day, maybe theres an old cinefilm of an ogre game somewhere

:-) One would think that the old-timers are still playing no? Else why all this fervor over the Kickstarter of the new edition?

Maybe they're trying to hide the evidence that they're still playing it? ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't have them fangled vidiotizers when this came out.
We had flipbooks, and we liked it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ozor
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
I was just on here looking for the same thing. Would be nice if someone would go over the rules and play a quick game.

I actually preordered this site unseen and hope I like it. Im a wargamer newbie and the premise of this game sounds awesome. Now just need to find some close by to pay with. The wife struggled through Strike Force One :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original microgame is pretty bare bones. Even with GEV or other expansions I don't know how interesting a video it would make. It's not all that complex and its "wargameyness" is limited to artifacts of the microgame genre: hex maps, combat results tables and combat ratios.

In a nutshell, you have an asymmetrical battle between a giant semi-intelligent tank armed with missiles, cannons and machine guns and a force of more or less conventional armor, hovercraft, artillery, missile launchers and ground troops. The OGRE tries to cross a barren crater filled landscape and destroy the enemy command post before the opposing force can shoot off its treads and/or weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
The original microgame is pretty bare bones. Even with GEV or other expansions I don't know how interesting a video it would make.

The best fan video would either be of Ogre Deluxe (1987) with stand-up counters, or Deluxe Ogre/Deluxe G.E.V. (minis on hex map).

Of course, SJG could always do a vid of gameplay with Designer's Ed...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm having a hard time not getting caught up in the hype, would love to see some video play too. So far, IMO, most games this old that get resurrected are really a nostalgia thing as far as the popularity goes, and the game itself is just OK. Not plunking down $100 until I see/know more for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think you plunk down $100 on Ogre because of other people's nostalgia or love of the game play. Check your game store, club, or convention, someone has Ogre. You can learn and play in an hour. Get the rules online and play with the VASSAL module.

There's a lot of support on KS, but it's still only 1100 people. Looking back at all the announcements this was never intended to be a mass-market product. What's clear from Kickstarter is that there are a couple thousand people out there who *really* like Ogre, not that there are tens of thousands who kind of like Ogre. That's a big difference.

It's very easy to try the game, you should do that!

I don't plunk down a hundred on anything I haven't played. Reviews will get me to $40, or $60 if I have other good reasons to expect I'll like the game (designer, theme, series, etc). But past $60 I need to play it. Otherwise I look for it at a flea market or play at a convention or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to see some kind of video presentation of the gameplay.
I do not have the option to check out the game locally beforehand, so I am really dependent on online information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if anyone will post vid's, so I'll try to describe the play.

Ogre/GEV is a simple hex based wargame. In the most basic scenario, one player will field the Ogre, the other will select his conventional forces. In this scenario, if I remember correctly, he gets 20 infantry, and 15 armor units. The defender selects his armor from the available pool of heavy tanks, GEVs, missle tanks, and howitzers (howitzers costs two).

The defending player sets up his forces (with some constraints), and positions his command post (CP) - usually on the far opposite edge of the board from the Ogre’s entrance. The Ogre player starts the game my moving his Ogre onto the board.

The Ogre player’s objective is to destroy the CP, and the defenders objective is to stop him. The game-play consists of maneuver and combat, both sides trying to move in a way that maximizes the firepower on target, while minimizing the opponent’s attacks.

The Ogre has a slew of weapons - a MkIII Ogre has one main gun with a range of 4, four secondary guns with range 3, a couple one shot missiles (range 5), and flame throwers that are effective only against infantry. Additionally, his movement starts at 3 hexes per turn (and can be reduced by damage to his treads). Each of the Ogre’s weapons has an attack value, and a defense value. When the defender attacks, he declares an Ogre weapon as a target (or alternately the treads), compares his attack value to the defense value and determines the odds (eg. 5 attack vs. 2 defense results in 2:1 odds). Attacks on the Ogres tracks are a special case, and are handled differently. Once the odds are calculated, a die is rolled, and the combat result table referenced for the result. Results against the Ogre are either no effect (NE), or hit (disrupt results are ignored). The weapons have boxes on the status card to track damage. One hit will destroy the weapon. Results against the defender's units are NE, disrupted, or destroyed. Disrupted results effectively stun the unit for one turn (or kill one point of infantry).

The defender’s units attack values vary - each infantry point has 1 attack, tanks have 4, howitzers 8, ect. Ranges also vary, as do movement allowances, from 2 mps for the infantry and missile tanks, to 4mp for the GEVs (who move again with 3mp for a total of 7!). The howitzer can't move at all. The GEVs get a second move after combat, similar to exploit in other games. The missile units are slow moveing with a long range. GEV units are fast with a weak attack. Infantry slow with weak attack, ect.

The game-play is one of maneuver, as the Ogre player tries to exploit any weakness in the defender's setup/force composition. Because the Ogre has all his power located in one hex, a defender who engages the Ogre piecemeal will take heavy casualties. Because of this, a defender is counting hexes, and trying to predict the Ogre's move in the following turn. He maneuvers to engage 'in force'. Units generally can’t stack, and thus terrain ‘traffic jams’ are a consideration. The Ogre can move through a defenders hex, but take treads hits (while killing or disrupting the unit). The Ogre player is trying to foil the defenders ‘traps’, and destroy units piecemeal as much as possible. The Ogre is fast - fast enough to outrun infantry, and the missile tanks, so feints are possible.

There is no time limit. In the basic game, the board is not that large, so if the Ogre beelines toward the CP, it takes about 10 turns to arrive. The defender might decide to attack the Ogres treads to reduce his movement. It takes 15 hits to reduce the Ogre MkIII's movement from 3 to 2, and another 15 to reduce it to one, ect. Early on in the game, the defender will decide if his tactic is to slow the Ogre’s movement (giving him more time), or try to hit weapons to reduce the Ogre's firepower. Because the game can be short, the tension is high. The game duration is about 30 minutes to a couple hours. The rules are simple – about 4 to 6 pages, and fairly clear.

Again, this is the basic scenario. More advanced scenarios add more forces, more interesting maps, and special conditions. There is a lot of variety, such as laser towers, on-board cruise missiles, trains, and other special units.

Take a look in the files section, and examine an Ogre's log sheet. Things will make more sense. I've probably made it sound more complex then it really is. The game is really very simple, with high tension, and lots of decisions - the recipe for a great game.

Also, check out this page...

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/articles/

Hope this helps.

(edited to correct grammar errors)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Video of Ogre play is now available. The video demonstrates that I don't know how to make videos and, frankly, don't know how to play Ogre well. Still, sample game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.