David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems games of Mega Cities between experienced players turns into a luck draw fest in the last quarter of the game. Each player continues to draw 4 cards hoping to get at least one card of a route that is already completed. To me, this actually detracts from the strategy of the previous 45 minutes and the game becomes too luck based at this point. So I would like to suggest a rule change. As the rules state, every time you draw new destination tickets, you must draw 4 and keep at least 1. In this form, the odds are pretty decent you will get a route that is finished. My variant: The first time you draw new tickets, you must keep 1 of 4. The second time you do it, you must keep 2 of 4. The third time, 3 of 4. From then on, you must keep all 4. This would prevent the luck based draw fest at the end of every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
It is more likely that your group is broken by groupthink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what is the answer to the draw-fest that I've heard others say Mega-Cities can become? Just end the game hoping you've already banked more points than the opposition? Block aggressively in the game itself? Mega-Cities seems to polarize opinion, so I'm interested to hear more about how to avoid this aspect, which has always deterred me from giving it a chance. Many say the same thing about Switzerland becoming a draw-fest, but others claim it's the players not the game, so the answer lies in how you play - but what should people be doing different to avoid house-ruling it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just draw tickets at the beginning of the game. Count up the point values of the tickets just drawn, whoever is higher declare them the winner, then put the game back in the box.

Just kidding; in 2p you can block like normal and so forth, but yeah with 3+ it gets pretty impossible to block all the possible combinations of tickets. I've played them all, and I would agree that Mega cities and Switzerland are the most end-game mad ticket grab variants of all of them. Switzerland even has multiple duplicate tickets (with the same country to country routes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the OP is more or less right - with more than 2 players it's kind of broken, unless you like end-game ticket-draw madness. That would also explain why there are quite a few fans think mega-cities is a good cut-throat 2P game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion is that you retain 1 card only; no more, no less. One card only, and I would also like to see it go back to a choice of 3 Destination cards instead of 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben F.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't agree that it is broken. If you have good network, clearly ticket draws are a prime strategy. However, there is the very real possibility of getting burned hard when you take the chance. So I see it as a fair gamble. On the other side of the coin, if you have lousy tickets and have completed them, going out quick can burn opponents that have drawn. So I feel that there is a balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer99 wrote:
My suggestion is that you retain 1 card only; no more, no less. One card only, and I would also like to see it go back to a choice of 3 Destination cards instead of 4.

We always play with 3 destination tickets only (regardless of the map or expansion). Four is too many and creates the situation described above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.