Subject: z-Man Support?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damean Rendell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this game recently and had a blast playing through the first three scenarios.

What I would like to know is if we can expect expansions for it. While new factions, scenarios etc would be great, one major concern I have with the game is the lack of characters, just 3 for the Norad side. I can see them getting a little boring after a few plays, which is a shame because everything else about the game makes for massive re-playability.

So essential, Any word about new material? or has anyone created any new characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deckard Cole
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
TheFlatline wrote:
Not really... but the mission generator once you finish all the scenarios (which are basically tutorials) gives you nearly infinite replay.

This was seconded in a video I watched (was going to link here but can't seem to locate it, sorry) with the designer where he, more or less, stated he included the scenario generator to negate the need for expansions. He didn't totally rule it out depending on the games success,
unfortunately the game has not done great from what I've read.

I have yet to make it anywhere near the end of the included scenarios so I have yet to look for any user created content. I will when that day comes though as I love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Léan -
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only recently 'discovered' this game, played it twice now, and the group I played with, all avid gamers, where astonished they had never heard of this gem before either. Somehow, it got snowed under, in the avalanche of releases each year.

Or maybe the game is misunderstood.

Let me explain. I know I almost cast it aside as 'possible purchase'. The reason: the box says it's 2-4 players, but from the initial bunch of reviews and session reports it looked as if this was another 2 player game, with some limited possibility for 3 or 4 players. Some kind of artificially created rule to make it 3 or 4 players (1 team of 2 against another team of 2 for instance). Since I barely ever get a 2 player game on the table and I genuinely dislike games that tack on 'team vs team' rules to be able to put 2-4 players on the box, instead of just 2 players, to boost sales, I almost didn't buy. Almost.

When I researched it more, I came to find that there's a lot of emphasis on 2 player variants, because of the 2 player scenario tutorials that come with the box. However, this game is far, far from being a '2 player only' game.

A friend of mine, who occasionally demoes for a company that distributes this game saw it their portfolio. He thought about asking a copy of it as payment, and he also dismissed it because he also thought it was 'basically a 2 player game'. I am going to show him otherwise tonight

Because the game shines with the generator. The generator looks like an afterthought, but I find it's actually the meat of the game. I played the first 2 player tutorial scenario and then I dived directly into the scenario generator, with somewhat stripped rules, to create a 3 player game. The latter was much better than the first! It definitely works extremely well as a 3 or 4 player game. Like any other 3 or 4 player game. Unfortunately, most people don't play beyond the first few 2 player tutorials. Which have an excellent story line btw, and are very much worth playing too. With emphasis on 'too'.

While I would already, only after 2 plays, welcome new factions and new tiles and new characters and new mission cards, I would be very satisfied without. The scenario generator is awesome, and does the job well.

To anyone out there: do not underestimate the scenario generator!

To the OP: there's no real need for user created content, unless you are aiming at new characters and such. There's always a need for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my top games of all time. And when I mention it to people, most have no idea what I'm talking about. It's sad, cause it deserves tons of praise and exposer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Léan -
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
This is one of my top games of all time. And when I mention it to people, most have no idea what I'm talking about. It's sad, cause it deserves tons of praise and exposer.

Indeed, it needs and deserves more exposure. If it sells better, we might get expansions after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've not bought this game but I will do sooner or later. I think maybe it's depth that is the issue. Many users of BGG prefer simpler Euros with Euro mechanics, even if they are hybrids (such as Eclipse)

It's a shame as I can see this game as forming a whole new set of expansions and even be a hobby in its own right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damean Rendell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's a shame as I can see this game as forming a whole new set of expansions and even be a hobby in its own right.

From what I have read of the rules and scenarios this was my thought as well (Like I stated I am only up to scenario three). My fear is that the rpg type elements (character development, skills, equipment etc) will be non existent and it will become a straight forward skirmish game....

I am able to make new scenarios sure but using Nick Bolter, James Woo and Vasquez game after game seems limiting... I can even make new characters however minis will be a problem but with no rules balance maybe an issue and require lots of playtesting....something I don't have enough time for.

Not that this will stop me playing the game, I love it so far and cannot wait till I get to visit with my brother to get it to the table again.

I can only hope enough people "discover" this game like I have and it gets the props I think it deserves and new material!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you understand all of the rules it definetly doesn't become a "skirmish" style game with no soul. The RPG is very much there and actually you will soon discover that each charcater in the game has their own little side story that plays into the scenarios.

My wife and i play this game quite a bit and have done so since its release. It is easily one of the best games created in the last 5 years and maybe 10. The problem is that it's theme seems a bit much for some and its perceived difficulty level can be a huge hurdle to get passed. When in reality it is not nearly that difficult of a game.

It's doubtful we will ever see more material for the game that is official but player made content is definetly possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn has a great ruleset but fails in the components department. Unfortunately, only Eurogames can be successful with that combination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
Earth Reborn has a great ruleset but fails in the components department. Unfortunately, only Eurogames can be successful with that combination.

Rubbish!

The components are what sold me on this game. The miniatures are some of the best I've ever seen, and I have extensive experience with miniatures. The miniatures are incredibly detailed and come pre-primed, in faction colors! No one can rightfully complain about the miniatures.

The tiles are well drawn, thick and linen covered! What more do you want from cardboard tiles?! While I have seen the complaints about the walls on location tiles, I don't agree. I have zero issues with seeing the walls when I play, because I use these things called light bulbs to illuminate my play area. No one can rightfully complain about the tiles.

The cards are on great stock, the art is very well done, and they too are linen covered. The only complaint I really have is they are a bit on the busy side. No one can rightfully complain about the cards.

The custom dice have a good size and weight to them and six of each are provided, thus no problems there. No one can rightfully complain about the dice.

The insert is one of the very best ever used in a game, period. Yes, it may take a little bit of time to figure out where everything goes, but there is help for that here on BGG and elsewhere, and once you know where things go, you know it forever. No one can rightfully complain about the insert.

The rule book and scenario book are full color and the paper used is more than sufficiently thick. They are extremely well written, especially considering they had to be translated from French. No one can rightfully complain about the books.

Finally, the box it comes in has wonderful, colorful art, is thick and sturdy and is also linen covered. No one can rightfully complain about the box.

So, where exactly does Earth Reborn fail with it's components?

Seriously, if this game fails at components, I want to know what game succeeds!

yuk

EDITS: Small changes to grammar and order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
CrispyMyth wrote:
Rubbish!

I need to say that more (^_-)v
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:

That has to be one of the most absurd statements I've read in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
kostool13 wrote:

I'm assuming it was sarcasm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
derrickec wrote:
kostool13 wrote:

I'm assuming it was sarcasm...

Yes, it could have been sarcasm. It is not clearly sarcasm however, since the statement can easily be taken at face value.

Many consider eurogames to have both good rulesets and components (if you like wood and meeples).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
My wife and i play this game quite a bit and have done so since its release. It is easily one of the best games created in the last 5 years and maybe 10.

Mike, does your wife normally like wargames? I play a lot of games with mine, but she's not a wargamer and it's the one thing holding me back. That and the theme. She's not into zombies or shooting games. But I'm thinking there's more to this game than just combat and she does like games with missions or goals.

She's no stranger to heavier games including Dominant Species, Merchants and Marauders, Through the Ages and Twilight Struggle. She's just not a wargamer.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.