flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

1. Internet
2. Word of mouth
3. Other

Quote:
what's the best, most convenient way to keep myself updated with the latest wargames/boardgames?

Boardgamegeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YH Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
Swords & Stationery
badge
Swords & Stationery
mbmbmb
BaSL wrote:

Quote:
what's the best, most convenient way to keep myself updated with the latest wargames/boardgames?

Boardgamegeek.

I see what you did there

I also subscribed to YT channels like Pugknows Productions and The Dice Tower. I've been watching them for a while now and they have consistently regular updates on RPGs and BGs, which is a great way to keep myself informed.

-edit- Oh. I just noticed there's an Introduction sub-forum for new users. Oops blush

-edit2- Uh oh. I deleted my first post, thinking it would delete the thread. Apparently not. I have much to learn lol. (Can this thread be deleted? I'll post it in the right forum. Sorry!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hello!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
lowyhong wrote:
BaSL wrote:

Quote:

Boardgamegeek.

I see what you did there

I also subscribed to YT channels like Pugknows Productions and The Dice Tower. I've been watching them for a while now and they have consistently regular updates on RPGs and BGs, which is a great way to keep myself informed.

-edit- Oh. I just noticed there's an Introduction sub-forum for new users. Oops blush

-edit2- Uh oh. I deleted my first post, thinking it would delete the thread. Apparently not. I have much to learn lol. (Can this thread be deleted? I'll post it in the right forum. Sorry!)

The blush is not necessary. You are new and it's all good. Welcome!

For better or worse you cannot delete the whole thread because that would delete the repsonces of other users.

The new user forum would probably be pretty helpful and Tricks of the Geek is also worth checking out.

Good luck, and again welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
lowyhong wrote:
BaSL wrote:

Quote:

Boardgamegeek.

I see what you did there

I was wondering where the first part went! Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YH Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
Swords & Stationery
badge
Swords & Stationery
mbmbmb
Cheers bros, thanks for being so welcoming to the new kid in town . In preparation for my upcoming initiation of board games, I have decided to give MegaMek a try, as I will also be buying the Battletech 25th Anniversary Introductory Box set. This is going to be my first foray into the Battletech board game; I love the Mechwarrior games, and I cannot wait to jump into this.

Having said that, I just got my ass royally handed to me by the AI, but at least now I have a better grasp of the rules. I'm so pumped to give this (the boardgame, not MegaMek) a go with my friends when I finally get my hands on it \o/

By the way, this is a list of board games that I plan to buy. Can you guys take a look and see if there's anything to add on that you think I'd like? I actually asked the guys over at the GOG (Good Old Games) forums for some opinions, and they've been very helpful, but they could have missed something out too.

Zpocalypse (gonna back this one on Kickstarter!)
Arkham Horror
Earth Reborn
Battletech 25th
Descent: Journeys in the Dark
Space Hulk
Dust Tactics
Doom
Conflict of Heroes
Super Dungeon Explore
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
Eclipse
Twilight Imperium
Pandemic
Last Night on Earth
Full Metal Planete
Incursion
Federation Commander
Attack Vector Tactical
Squadron Strike
Dungeons & Dragons
Flash Point
Mage Knight
Advanced Squad Leader
Mansions of Madness
Hybrid
Neuroshima Hex
Carcassone
Pathfinder Beginner Box
Kill Doctor Lucky (I love casual games that don't involve too much luck)

I'm hard pressed to say exactly what it is I like, and what I don't like, since my exposure to board games is still not as wide as the other bros around here have. But, I can say I've never really been a fan of CCGs, and I'm a bit scared to approach games with too many counters. I really like tactical games, and miniatures are nice. Is there anything I could have missed out in that list?

PS. I know that a lot of games in that list are OOP. Shame though, I arrived too late to the party . Attack Vector Tactical just sounds so awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend that everyone give Dominion a shot and based on the games you highlighted I would recommend you take a look at Claustrophobia, Star Trek: Fleet Captains, and Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YH Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
Swords & Stationery
badge
Swords & Stationery
mbmbmb
Not really interested in Dominion, but thanks

I added Fleet Captains to the list (Eclipse is already there ). I love Star Trek, and STFC looks like it has some solid gameplay. I'm on the fence regarding Claustrophobia though. It looks like a very fun game, but I'm looking for a game that supports more than 2 players, and from what I understand, Claustrophobia has only one 3-player scenario. Same with Dungeon Twister, which also looks interesting but I'm guessing is best played with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lowyhong wrote:
...Eclipse is already there ).

My bad... blush

lowyhong wrote:
I love Star Trek, and STFC looks like it has some solid gameplay.

I tend to gravitate towards games that are driven by solid mechanics and this game had that but the way the theme was implimented is superb. I normally see through the theme and just see the mechanics. Not so with ST:FC. I really felt like I was in it. I highly recommend playing some Star Trek music while you play (it adds a lot to the experience).

lowyhong wrote:
I'm on the fence regarding Claustrophobia though. It looks like a very fun game, but I'm looking for a game that supports more than 2 players, and from what I understand, Claustrophobia has only one 3-player scenario.

Claustrophobia is a great game in many ways. I really wish it played more than 2 players. If you decide to look for a 2 player game you should definetaly give this a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lowyhong wrote:
Not really interested in Dominion, but thanks

That is a shame. shake

If you still want to try a deck building game you might try Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin. The mechanics in Thunderstone are not as elegant as Dominion but they add a groovy dungeon crawl theme and the Advance edition seems to have done some good things to improve the mechanics as well.

It's not Dominion but it may have to do since you seem like more a thematic/AT kind a dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YH Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
Swords & Stationery
badge
Swords & Stationery
mbmbmb
@Redward thanks a lot mate you've been very helpful . I've decided to pick up a 2P game after all, but I'm on the fence between Claustrophobia and Dungeon Twister 2. Which of the two have more solid, less random gameplay mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lowyhong wrote:
@Redward thanks a lot mate you've been very helpful . I've decided to pick up a 2P game after all, but I'm on the fence between Claustrophobia and Dungeon Twister 2. Which of the two have more solid, less random gameplay mechanics?

I havn't played Dungeon Twister so can't give a comparison.

The following review helped convince me to buy claustrophobia:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/567476/comparison-to-claustr...
As a side note I personally hate Ravenloft.

Here is a video review for Dungeon Twister: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/739/dungeon-twister-2-prison/...

I would guess that Claustrophobia would be the better of the two games but Tom makes Dungeon Twister look pretty appealing as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.