Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: An explorer or traditionalist -- who you are? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
I believe this question has been asked thousands of time but I'd like to ask it again, for my sake, as recently I find myself playing the games I am familiar with; new games or the games I've never played once or twice, rarely -- if ever -- hit the table. No Retreat, that arrived few months ago, still awaits to have counters punched; Sekigahara -- hasn't yet removed the wrap from the box! Instead, I've been playing heavily Twilight Struggle (dozen of games), FAB: The Bulge (20 games) and Unhappy King Charles (dozen of games) -- the games I play most often and I still enjoy the most; these are the games I explore to the greatest depth and analyze the possible strategies, just for the joy of it. When given a choice, I prefer to play Hannibal:Rome vs Carthage instead of No Peace Without Spain (no offence to the latter intended!). Am I becoming old grumpy war gamer? Or is it just that with a time one develops a preference for the quality over quantity (again, no offence intended!).

And you? Would you define yourself as an explorer i.e. you prefer to play and learn new games? Or you're more of a traditionalist type: there's a fistful of games you enjoy and you keep playing those without caring too much about shiny new releases from the publishers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no black or white, only shades of grey. In that vein, I think I am 40/60 Explorer/Traditionalist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I think one of the reasons I 'gave up' on ASL (or at least decided I would sell off my own collection) was that it was demanding a monogamous relationship with me and I wasn't ready to settle down.

I guess that makes me an explorer but I have a few games I am more likely to play - Combat Commander/UKC etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a wargame slut--I can't be faithful to any one game (or handful of games). I'm always attracted to the new "shiny objects" and want to take them out for a spin. Yes, I keep coming back to some solid stalwarts (ASL included), but that doesn't mean I won't constantly be eyeballing the latest and greatest. Just can't help it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:
I'm a wargame ...

Oh please, oh please, please, please come back and edit your post! You know which word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pattern of my game playing is similar to my pattern of reading: I go with my interests of the moment (the year), which sometimes bring me to bring out games with which I'm well acquainted, and sometimes send me on new-game kicks which can last a long time. And every so often, I'll have the urge to learn a new system which a year before, or three years before, I had decided I wasn't going to bother with.

That's why I tend to overbuy ('hey, I might really want to play this sometime in the future'), and very rarely sell ('never know when I might want to home in on this one again').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
And you? Would you define yourself as an explorer i.e. you prefer to play and learn new games? Or you're more of a traditionalist type: there's a fistful of games you enjoy and you keep playing those without caring too much about shiny new releases from the publishers?

Not sure I'd use the term 'traditionalist' for what you're describing, but in any case, that's me. I try and stay highly selective and only buy games that I'm convinced I'll enjoy for the long run and that will actually get lots of repeated play. I want a svelte set of games, not a bloated collection of shelf toads. The key for me is to not get all starry-eyed and fool myself about what the real-life prospects are for any title under consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruinrefugee
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
JoelCFC25 wrote:
grouchysmurf wrote:

Not sure I'd use the term 'traditionalist' for what you're describing, but in any case, that's me. I try and stay highly selective and only buy games that I'm convinced I'll enjoy for the long run and that will actually get lots of repeated play. I want a svelte set of games, not a bloated collection of shelf toads. The key for me is to not get all starry-eyed and fool myself about what the real-life prospects are for any title under consideration.

For whatever reason I REALLY have a soft spot for Battles for the Ardennes, as well as what I view as the classics that I had growing up: Tactics II, Afrika Korps, the Panzerblitz family, and SL.

I've more recently backfilled some other oldies (Anzio, TRC) but also dove pretty extensively into new stuff -- esp. if it's quick and relatively light (sometimes with cards, preferably not) or if it's ASL-related. So let's say 55-60 percent traditionalist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like learning new games. But I also like many older games. I see no reason that I can't play both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
75% explorer, 20% traditionalist, 5% protester.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people I know aren't explorers, they're full-on cultists of the new. Games aren't even 3 months old before they've moved on to the next thing.

Personally, I like to replay games to get a feel of the nuances of the design. However, the gaming habits of others leave me with copies of games like The Caucasus Campaign and Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975, games I'm eager to play more, but without opponents to play them.

At the same time, I love the old games. It'd be great to get some of my old Avalon Hill or SPI games out AT ALL. But the local environment makes that liklihood all but impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of both. I have a regular game of World in Flames going - something that has been true for probably 3/4 of the past 20 years!

But I love to try new games - new approaches, new subjects, new everything. But that should be "new to me" not just "published in 2012" - I'm happy to try an oldie but goodie that is new to me, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Some of both. I have a regular game of World in Flames going - something that has been true for probably 3/4 of the past 20 years!

But I love to try new games - new approaches, new subjects, new everything. But that should be "new to me" not just "published in 2012" - I'm happy to try an oldie but goodie that is new to me, too.

What he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
JoelCFC25 wrote:
I try and stay highly selective and only buy games that I'm convinced I'll enjoy for the long run and that will actually get lots of repeated play. I want a svelte set of games, not a bloated collection of shelf toads. The key for me is to not get all starry-eyed and fool myself about what the real-life prospects are for any title under consideration.

I'd like that to become my motto in life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the same set of games but that does not stop me from looking at and purchasing the new games with shiny whistles and bells and they are the ones that are still unplayed. I really wish I had more self control. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, I'll step up. I'm the guy; do your worst.

I'm continually looking at the horizon. I'm the kid, who the second he starts playing with a toy, has his eye already enticed by that other toy not presently in his hands.

I'm sure I have enough wargames to keep me occupied until the second coming, and yet I keep being seduced by the BGG and ConSimWorld hype about that new to-die-for must-have wargame.

Explorer: 99%, Traditionalist: 1%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
usrlocal wrote:
Explorer of systems. Traditionalist within systems. If that makes any sense.

It does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
A fascinating question. I keep buying new games, but I keep playing old favorites!

I've recently taught two people to play EastFront and now they're hooked!

I've been focusing on playing Combat Commander and eschewing other tactical systems - not because CC:X is better than all the rest, but because I've got everything CC:X and regular opponents!

I've taken up PBeM on VASSAL and have games of HIS, Unhappy King Charles, and Twilight Struggle going.

I'm no curmudgeon or luddite though. I'm happy to try new games, but I've become more selective about devoting my time - I'd rather play something I know than something new simply because it's new!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, usually, follow some wargaming systems: GBoH, BAR, La Bataille, CoH, RSS & LoB, WiF, OCS, TCS, GTS, but sometimes I'm attracted by "that" wargame, for the particular historical period or for the counters' graphic or someone talk me about or just only because it arouses my interest.
But, more important, for my time economy and playing "professionality", reading too much rules and play too much different games can be "educational", but my knowledge of a system can't be satisfying for myself.
I love to know every single aspect of a game, to play it at best!
I leave/abandon a wargame only if it tired me and rarely happen.

So ... I'm Traditional-explorer.

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Volfield wrote:
I like learning new games. But I also like many older games. I see no reason that I can't play both.

The time or rather lack of it, to be more precise? :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:

This is me, too. I like the look of a lot of games but then I look at the ones I already have that already aren't getting played because of my playgroup's flakiness. Maybe if I played, say, three times a week I'd be more inclined to chase a shiny new thing but as it stands I'm pretty happy with what I have and I'll pick up one new game here and there. And I have a pretty small collection that's mostly old crap I don't play anymore because my tastes have changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I have only been wargaming for a little over a year. Recently I have been more torn between wanting to try new games and wanting to really become acquainted with what I already own.

At first, it was exciting to be looking up all these new games, browsing rulebooks, finding good deals online so I could expand my small collection. But now, I want really dig deep into some of these games. How could I really ever experience all Paths of Glory or Empire of the Sun has to offer unless I play them regularly and devote some serious time to learning their intricacies?

And yet... there are so many other interesting games out there I haven't even yet played. I own Rommel in the Desert, but I haven't played it or any other block wargame yet. New games are being released with exciting new mechanics too.

So, I think I want to be more of a traditionalist, but I also get excited about new ideas in wargames.

Traditionalist: 40%, Explorer: 60%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
As an absolutely brand-new wargamer (in fact, I can't really even call myself a 'wargamer' yet since I've only got one game: Commands and Colors: Ancients...) I don't know which, if any, category I fall into.

All I can say is that I am VERY excited about starting out down this road and I am also already feeling the lure of other games even before I've even begun with my first one.

Hmmm, this could become a worrying trait couldn't it? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
thechangingman wrote:
As an absolutely brand-new wargamer (in fact, I can't really even call myself a 'wargamer' yet since I've only got one game: Commands and Colors: Ancients...) I don't know which, if any, category I fall into.

All I can say is that I am VERY excited about starting out down this road and I am also already feeling the lure of other games even before I've even begun with my first one.

Hmmm, this could become a worrying trait couldn't it? shake

Welcome to the dark side of the hobby Martyn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have more fun reading new rules and exploring new game systems than commiting to a single game system in order to get all its juice. The only one I am committed to is ASL, and for the rest I usually play less than ten times a game (twice or thrice) before reading a new set of rules.

I guess I like the 'literature' in the rules.

Traditionalist: 20%, Explorer: 80%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.