Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Small Box Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
I have been enjoying this game more and more recently and am thinking about an expansion.

Trouble is, my table is too darn small for Dunwich Horror and i find playing on the floor uncomfortable.

So my question is this:

How is it playing the game just with small expansiosn? Am i missing major things without DH/KS/IH? What order should i get them in? I also think once i have exhausted a small expansion i should remove the cards from it before starting the next one?

grateful for any thoughts

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
I have been enjoying this game more and more recently and am thinking about an expansion.

Trouble is, my table is too darn small for Dunwich Horror and i find playing on the floor uncomfortable.

So my question is this:

How is it playing the game just with small expansiosn? Am i missing major things without DH/KS/IH? What order should i get them in? I also think once i have exhausted a small expansion i should remove the cards from it before starting the next one?

grateful for any thoughts

thanks

A small expansion is going to spice things up without too much change. The big expansions just add more and give you more real estate.

I think your plan is sound. Even though I had most of the expansions before I started introducing any of them, my plan was to play the game a few times with just that expansion to really get the flavor from it. I then removed the cards from that expansion before moving to the next.

Once you know what you like, you can add in stuff from multiple expansions to get the exact taste you are looking for.

As far as an order, really just get what interests you. Most people will recommend Dunwich as your first big Box with Innsmouth a closer second. Most will recommend King In Yellow first, with Lurker usually get the 2nd nod, though the Dark Pharaoh is better now with the revised edition out. The only thing you should hold off on is Miskatonic as it is an expansion to the expansions and better integrated when you start mixing expansions.

As to the table space, I had the same issues. My solution was to buy a bigger house with a bigger kitchen and then to get a bigger kitchen table. Seriously. Well, I also had a kid on the way and wanted to move, but the kitchen furniture was selected with this game (and Memoir Overlord) in mind.

As a temporary solution, Dunwich doesn't need to be on the table with Arkham if you go that route. I used to set it up on a little table to the side. you can also condense the game by stacking decks on the board or getting organizers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entropy Mu
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It might also be a decent idea to check out the big box expansions for all the stuff they add that isn't tied to the board. Adding new investigators, AOs, encounters and investigator cards is great, and you tend to get more of that stuff in the big boxes. I'm not sure what order they'd rank in that scenario, but Kingsport probably gets closer to the other two big boxes because of all the extra stuff it adds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the day several years ago when I first added Dunwich Horror to our Arkham experience, I have never played the game with just small box expansions.

I would have to say that you are missing a TREMENDOUS amount by not having the big boxes. You're missing out on the majority of the characters, the majority of the Ancient Ones, the majority of the monsters and the majority of the Common and Unique Items, and the majority of the boards! You're also missing the much greater suspense and challenge which comes from using even one of the big boxes.

Dunwich Horror should definitely be the first big box you get. More than any other expansion it is essential for the base game. I'd then suggest Kingsport before Innsmouth, since Innsmouth provides by far the greatest challenge increase and should be saved until last.

As to small boxes, KiY is the favorite to get first, but the revised CotDP is my personal favorite. I'm not a fan of the Lurker or Black Goat, but they do have Gate Bursts and are the only small box expansions which possess that mechanic.

If you want the pure expansion experience, then yes, remove each expansion before introducing a new one. There are those who for that reason play with only one small box and one big box expansion at a time.

Personally, I've found the combination which pleases and challenges me the most to be ALL the big box expansions, plus CotDP. My group wins less than fifty percent of the time, but we have a lot of fun playinglaugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real "game-changers" seem to be the Injury/Madness cards from Dunwich, Gate Bursts (from most expansions) and the new Ancient Ones.

I'd recommend the new Dark Pharaoh as a first small-box expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Having thought about it, i could actually fit in one big box expansion, and one only (my table has a drawer which is flush to the surface and the additional board could be rested on the top quite stably).

But my question is this:

let's say one day i end up with all three big-box expansions. COuld i use, for example, the Innsmouth horror expansion board as the only additonal board, but use all the other cards from the other expansions?? I know that i could use all the items etc. without trouble, and obviously the encounter cards would not be used - but what about Mythos, other world etc.?? how much hassle would it be for me if i decided that i no longer want to use the IH board, but wanted to switch to KH for a month?? would i need to go through all the decks and strip out anything which was specific to the boards not in play? How many is this likely to be??? loads, just a few??

Grateful for any views

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
COuld i use, for example, the Innsmouth horror expansion board as the only additonal board, but use all the other cards from the other expansions?? I know that i could use all the items etc. without trouble, and obviously the encounter cards would not be used - but what about Mythos, other world etc.?? how much hassle would it be for me if i decided that i no longer want to use the IH board, but wanted to switch to KH for a month?? would i need to go through all the decks and strip out anything which was specific to the boards not in play? How many is this likely to be??? loads, just a few??

The big box expansions tend to be more modular. So yes, you could use Innsmouth as the expansion on the table and all the Madness/Injury cards from Dunwich and all the Epic Battle cards from Kingsport and whatever else you wanted.

Mythos cards are typically tied to the board itself since gates and clues are trying to be placed upon them. Most of the Arkham encounters should be OK but obviously you can't use location cards that don't exist. You could keep all the Other World encounters in as they have a "fail-safe" mechanism by doing the "other" encounter when things don't match. But you will hit the "other" encounter more often than not if the expansions' other worlds are not in play. Just about everything else should be OK including all investigators, Ancient Ones, and everything else.

The other option is to also leave everything mixed and decide before the game what expansions you are going to use. If you don't want to use Dunwich, just ignore any card drawn with a Dunwich barn symbol, and re draw a replacement. This way you don't have to worry about spending time pulling apart the decks each time. And if you forget to look at the symbol and nothing odd happens, just keep playing. But if it tries to do something that doesn't work, realize you have an expansion card and redraw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks - That is a very useful answer. I would rather have a "clean" gaming experience and strip them out to match the board but this sounds like a good option. Will probably need to do just the Other World cards for the reason you say though.

Having won my first game last night (third attempt) I can unfortunately feel myself being slowly consumed by madness, and can see this ending in me buying all expansions

Take a sanity check (-8) [8], if you fail, lose $250 and you are delayed for the next several years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can, and should use any and all of the cards that the big and small-box expansions add.That's how you end up with towering stacks of everything.
There's no need for separation.New Arkham encounters, for instance are all tied to the main board. Same with all the other cards. (items, spells, skills, allies, etc)

You simply redraw any Mythos cards that indicate a location on an expansion board you're not using. Also, if you draw gate encounters that indicate an other world not on the expansion board in play, simply resolve the "other" encounter on the card.

We play with with all the card components, rotating expansion boards for each session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.