Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game the other day and enjoyed it somewhat, I'm sure my friends would like it as the gameplay is fairly intuitive, however for me its lacking in the narrative departement. It's just hack'n'slash.

Games my friends like:
Arkham Horror (but would prefer something with a stronger narrative/roleplay and bit more streamlined/simpler design.)
Tale of Arabian Nights

Any suggestion for narrative/roleplaying ride in boardgame form?
(competition part is not important)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Adventure Game side of things, Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game could be perfect! It's not a dungeon crawl though.

It's a bit like Tales of the Arabian Nights in that the narrative doesn't always make sense and it can feel a little more like the game plays you rather than the other way around (though I think the decisions in this feel a bit more meaningful than in Tales). But it's HEAPS of fun!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegs wrote:
For the Adventure Game side of things, Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game could be perfect! It's not a dungeon crawl though.

I'm not that specific on dungeon part, any adventure game fits nice.

Is your recommendation for co-op or competitive variant? Which is better?
(because my geekbuddies comment one or the other)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We love Talisman. It's as much an RPG as you make it. Simple rules, fun and random stuff happening to you, and an epic feel as you conquer the world.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
Tegs wrote:
For the Adventure Game side of things, Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game could be perfect! It's not a dungeon crawl though.

I'm not that specific on dungeon part, any adventure game fits nice.

Is your recommendation for co-op or competitive variant? Which is better?
(because my geekbuddies comment one or the other)


To be honest, I've only played it in competitive mode so can't really comment on co-op. I'm just not that big a fan of co-ops in general. But I've certainly heard that it works well co-op.

The other thing is that the highest player number I've played with is 3 and the majority of my games have been 2 player. I've heard that downtime can be an issue with higher player numbers. So I'd suggest that when you're playing with 2-3, or maybe 4, competitive is great, but if you have a larger group co-op is probably a better way to go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aradraug
Czech Republic
Novy Jicin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a dungeon crawl, but superb adventure with heavy roleplaying is Android
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aradraug wrote:
Not a dungeon crawl, but superb adventure with heavy roleplaying is Android

and dense rules.

yes I know.
I own it. I fear of opening the box and try to decipher it.

will keep in mind, though it's kinda on the bottom part of "must decipher the rules before I can play" pile.

I'm looking for something a bit simpler.

stormseeker75 wrote:
It's as much an RPG as you make it.

That probably goes also for D&D adventure games I take it?

Looked at my geekbuddies comments - definitely a try-before-you-buy game. I'll check if somebody at my club has it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Samo, not sure if you have realized how much of a toolkit the D&D adventure games actually are. If you browse the variant and file forums, you will find examples of how to introduce a stronger narrative into the games, ranging from superflypete's complex adventure campaign to my own card-based system that has every special tile tell it's own little tale of terror:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/63108/castle-ravenloft...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65462/chromaticdragons...

From my roleplaying days, I get the sense that "roleplaying" fluorishes with a combination of gamers who are willing to participate positively and a simple rule set. The D&D games are certainly simple, so all you need is something that will encourage your players to immerse themselves in the unfolding story.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game = Nothing but storytelling. I would still enjoy a game of this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Android is phenomenal.

Do your research though so your expectations are accurate.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
Samo, not sure if you have realized how much of a toolkit the D&D adventure games actually are. If you browse the variant and file forums, you will find examples of how to introduce a stronger narrative into the games, ranging from superflypete's complex adventure campaign to my own card-based system that has every special tile tell it's own little tale of terror:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/63108/castle-ravenloft...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65462/chromaticdragons...

From my roleplaying days, I get the sense that "roleplaying" fluorishes with a combination of gamers who are willing to participate positively and a simple rule set. The D&D games are certainly simple, so all you need is something that will encourage your players to immerse themselves in the unfolding story.


Wow. Neat. I'll forward this to the guy owning the game we played.
Pete's adventure seems exactly like something I would want out of the game.

I'll check if there's something for other two games as well.

-------------------------
On a related note - anybody played/owns this: Battlestations ?
This is another game, that allows for campaigns, though it's probably more RPGish as D&D adventures.
Another one on my owned but unplayed pile. I managed to fall asleep every time I tried to read the rules (and I've read my share of RPGs). blush
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill seems like an obvious suggestion. It isn't "balanced", so to speak, but if that doesn't bother you in Arabian Nights or Arkham Horror, I don't imagine it will be a problem here.

Perhaps mansions of madness, though it is a bit fiddly (though less fiddly than Android).

I do like Android, but it felt like the mechanics got in the way of the story, especially in the first game - if players don't mind a bit of a slog in game 1, it will probably pay rewards. On the other hand, if Arkham ran in to similar problems, this may have similar issues.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Mansions of Madness This game is very story driven, with one overlord or bad guy and heros/ there are clues, encounters all kinds of fun stuff.

Also, though sometimes it falls to tactics, try Descent: Journeys in the Dark there is an opportunity for it, though not as story drivven as the first one.

good luck
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Do your research though so your expectations are accurate.

Please correct my expectations.

my researched stumbled, rolled a 1 and hit a brick wall, hence this thread.

Edit: only now I realised this is referring to Android. Yes, I know this is the case. Have set up appropriate expectations, only need the will to read the rules and find 2 other people to do so (the last one's easy as I'm in gamer's club)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Betrayal at House on the Hill seems like an obvious suggestion. It isn't "balanced", so to speak, but if that doesn't bother you in Arabian Nights or Arkham Horror, I don't imagine it will be a problem here.

Good call, I know somebody at the club owns it.

(Uhm, yeah it appears I've forgotten most of the relevant games, though I did research on them once ...)

on Mansions of Madness - Bathoth seems like a better package.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegs wrote:
sgosaric wrote:
Tegs wrote:
For the Adventure Game side of things, Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game could be perfect! It's not a dungeon crawl though.

I'm not that specific on dungeon part, any adventure game fits nice.

Is your recommendation for co-op or competitive variant? Which is better?
(because my geekbuddies comment one or the other)


To be honest, I've only played it in competitive mode so can't really comment on co-op. I'm just not that big a fan of co-ops in general. But I've certainly heard that it works well co-op.

The other thing is that the highest player number I've played with is 3 and the majority of my games have been 2 player. I've heard that downtime can be an issue with higher player numbers. So I'd suggest that when you're playing with 2-3, or maybe 4, competitive is great, but if you have a larger group co-op is probably a better way to go.


I played this 4 player co-op last night; a LOT of fun!...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:

On a related note - anybody played/owns this: Battlestations ?
This is another game, that allows for campaigns, though it's probably more RPGish as D&D adventures.
Another one on my owned but unplayed pile. I managed to fall asleep every time I tried to read the rules (and I've read my share of RPGs). blush


Battlestations is Amazing. My friends and I always want to get a game in but we're too busy. It is a lot like an RPG (and we usually have a lot of Role-playing) in that there is a Gamemaster trying to hinder (or help depending on how he feels) the crew of the ship. It's a little bit tongue-in-cheek (at least, that's how we play) but it is lots of fun.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BDSb wrote:
Battlestations is Amazing. My friends and I always want to get a game in but we're too busy. It is a lot like an RPG (and we usually have a lot of Role-playing) in that there is a Gamemaster trying to hinder (or help depending on how he feels) the crew of the ship. It's a little bit tongue-in-cheek (at least, that's how we play) but it is lots of fun.

Do you know if it's hard to design a campaign or is it better to buy one?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
!!!! IMO, it is one of THE MOST thematic games I have. Lots of choices, and 'feels' right. It can be rules heavy (if you let it) but the payoff is huge!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark is one of the most amazing dungeon crawls I've ever played and I would highly recommend it. It is also somewhat of an RPG game so...

And if your friends like those kind of games have you ever considered playing an RPG with them? Something like Dungeons & Dragons (3.5 Edition)?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Military Muskrat wrote:
And if your friends like those kind of games have you ever considered playing an RPG with them? Something like Dungeons & Dragons (3.5 Edition)?

Have played when we were students and had time. I'd love to play Eberron campaign, but don't have the time to DM. As we don't have time for this, we play Arkham Horror. laugh

Descent seems a bit too baroque and too combat oriented (not sure if true, just my first impression).

spaztian
Which is this awesome game?
Battlestations? Android? D&D adventure series? Fortune and Glory?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Mansions of Madness. It's a great game!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gorski

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Betrayal at House on the Hill
Each game it its own mini-story with 50 of them. Even during the first of the game that doesn't reveal the story is creepy stuff happening to your characters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Citadel of Blood. But it's a print and play game (unless you can get the original copy on ebay or something). If you're feeling crafty, you can make it on your own using Todd's new redesign artwork.

The game uses paragraph system which basically is strong on the narrative side. And not to forget that it's a dungeon crawler game.

If you want something similar but with a wider scope (instead of exploring dungeons, you go on an adventure), check out Barbarian Prince. Also print and play, and make sure to use the latest Todd's redesign work.

- Damien

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
BDSb wrote:
Battlestations is Amazing. My friends and I always want to get a game in but we're too busy. It is a lot like an RPG (and we usually have a lot of Role-playing) in that there is a Gamemaster trying to hinder (or help depending on how he feels) the crew of the ship. It's a little bit tongue-in-cheek (at least, that's how we play) but it is lots of fun.

Do you know if it's hard to design a campaign or is it better to buy one?


It shouldn't be hard to design your own campaign, but the main point of a board game RPG is to let the GM save time on such things.

I've played this with my boys a few times. It is fun and very tongue-in-cheek.

Get one of the scenario books. My son has the Pirate one (won't let me look at the scenarios) and wants to run some games soon. He thinks they are much more interesting than the standard ones that come in the box set.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.