Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2128585/Group-25-fir...
Has casued anotheer rant about eld and safty, yet no one seems to have picked up on the real issue here.

Why were 5 fire engines and 25 fire fighters dispatched to rescue a drowning sea bird, is this really a good use of expensive and scarce resources? Moreover why did the RSPCA or the wardens not deal with a minor and trivial incident, why did any of them think this was worth the fire brigades time?

Me I agree with the fire brigade spokesdman, a seagull is not worth even a slight risk to a fireman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree wih everything the OP said. The bird was not worth the fuel used by the trucks to get there, never mind fire fighters.

But, regarding emergency services and safety regulations in general, when did Britons become such pussies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

I agree wih everything the OP said. The bird was not worth the fuel used by the trucks to get there, never mind fire fighters.

But, regarding emergency services and safety regulations in general, when did Britons become such pussies.

When no win no fee laywers made it too expensive to allow anything even remotly risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What language is this thread written in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
quozl wrote:

Without the words 'GOP' or 'Obama' in it I agree it can be tricky to translate.

Humans still don't get the fact that wild animals die. Even more fun is the fact they often die for the same reasons. So all they are doing is denying reality when they waste valuable resources on some stupid bird that will end up breeding more stupid birds for the rescuers to have to go and save.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
quozl wrote:

Without the words 'GOP' or 'Obama' in it I agree it can be tricky to translate.

I know, we really should make everything about America.

So lets try, what have the presidential hopefulls said about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Has casued anotheer rant about eld and safty, yet no one seems to have picked up on the real issue here.

So you really think the real issue here is that they get called out to wildlife situations and not that they stand around and watch people die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So you really think the real issue here is that they get called out to wildlife situations and not that they stand around and watch people die?

Eer no people were in danger. So the issue is they get called out to pull a bird out of a three foot deep duck pond at huge expence, when no lives were (at any point) in danger. Indeed this action (potentialy) endangerd life by taking up the time of the emergency services with a totaly trivial matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
By Meow Command!
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you read the whole news story? Multiple people have died while rescuers watched due to the ridiculous regulations that won't let people do their job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Did you read the whole news story? Multiple people have died while rescuers watched due to the ridiculous regulations that won't let people do their job.

And did you notice I did not ask about those, I asked about this specific incident. Indeed can't you see why I might find it offensive to try and draw a comparision between a drowning bird and a drowning human?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
What about the elves? :what:

Allways wonderd that myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
It a seagull. Shoot it with a BB Gun and be done with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
It a seagull. Shoot it with a BB Gun and be done with it.

Sadly I think thats illegal in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elf and safty approve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Those were the days..
‘I still have a few, proper glasses with dimples and handles, none of this straight glasses nonsense. ’

re the fire fighters.. what a bunch of useless cowards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently firefighter deaths in the uk have apparently risen in the last decade or so, and the daily mail isn't above making stuff up on this issue.

(I remember one report where they claimed someone died due to health and safely, where someone had indeed died, but health and safety had stopped them retrieving the body in dangerous conditions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Apparently firefighter deaths in the uk have apparently risen in the last decade or so, and the daily mail isn't above making stuff up on this issue.

(I remember one report where they claimed someone died due to health and safely, where someone had indeed died, but health and safety had stopped them retrieving the body in dangerous conditions).

Yes, they are the Fox News of newspapers and their reporting is very sloppy. Their science and health sections are hilariously bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was not a matter for the fire service - it was a police matter. The fire service does not issue rifles nor train firefighters how to shoot them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McPhee
Scotland
Glasgow/ Elgin/ Ullapool (Garve)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Yes, they are the Fox News of newspapers and their reporting is very sloppy. Their science and health sections are hilariously bad.

They are beginning to slack though, a whole article with no reference to homosexual gypsy asylum seekers taking all our jobs... And then causing/curing cancer? Standards are fair slipping.

I wonder if the fuckwits who phoned out the fire brigade for a seagull should maybe be expected to pay for the cost of the operation, and possibly also the opportunity costs. The uk is becoming a nation of mollycoddled idiots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommcphee wrote:
Halfinger wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

They are beginning to slack though, a whole article with no reference to homosexual gypsy asylum seekers taking all our jobs... And then causing/curing cancer? Standards are fair slipping.

I wonder if the fuckwits who phoned out the fire brigade for a seagull should maybe be expected to pay for the cost of the operation, and possibly also the opportunity costs. The uk is becoming a nation of mollycoddled idiots.

Yes I think they should. Or if the Mail is so conceanred about the safty of seabirds make them pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.