Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is off topic, but this seems like the most appropriate place to ask. If not, feel free to ask the mods to move it.

I've been thinking about making video reviews for board games. Although I am computer savvy, I am completely ignorant about cameras. I'm not really sure what features to look for or how to judge picture quality based on the blurbs on the box. I will probably have to do some shooting "on location" and since I am a baseball & basketball coach, I might want something for games as well. Would it be best to get something that is "self shooting" or would something that plugs into the USB on my laptop be OK? Since I will be sharing with the public, I want something of good quality (maybe slightly better than average). However, I don't really expect to use the camera very often, so I don't want something spendy nor top of the line. Any suggestions or helpful hints are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been shooting video for a long time, both as a hobby and professionally, and you really can't go wrong with one of the name brand consumer video cameras available now. Check Best Buy, B&H or some of the others. Since you're computer savvy, a decent editing program is a must. Some like the windows movie maker, but it's not my cup of tea (I learned film splicing in school, then went on to tape to tape editing, then learned on the high dollar non-linear systems).

Everyone's different, but since I'm planning to buy a new camera in the future sometime, here's what I'm looking for:

USB connectivity. So I can transfer the video directly to the computer.

Flash Drive memory. No moving parts, no tape to get eaten, etc., also makes transfering via USB simply a 'drag and drop' operation.

Comfortable in my hand. This is a big one. If it's not easy to hold, your video will show that.

Stabilizer option. This technology has come a long way since the old days, and is really nice on the newer cameras.

External microphone input. I also would like to do some more video reviews, and frankly, the camera mic just sounds like crap from across the room.

Those are my opinions, but some things you might want to watch for. As far as price, I've seen some pretty nice ones in the $500 and under range. Right now I'm leaning toward either a Canon or a Sony, mainly because I think they have better lenses, and thus a better picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Somewhere
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And read reviews for cameras that you're interested in. Those can help you decide what you will eventually buy. I've passed up on bargains because newer cameras should be better (apparently not always better). Read what kind of technical help, or customer service the camera maker offers when something is wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.leytoncameras.com/index.php?currency=GBP&route=pr...

used that camera during my masters degree for speech recognition. seemed very good for the price.. essentially it is a very good video camera, or an ok high speed camera, or an ok hi-def camera..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl_S Gamer
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I've been using the same video camera for many years and it's starting to show its age. it still takes nice video bu I will soon be looking for a new cam, too. My old one just doesn't have the required features, even though the video quality is just fine. I'll miss it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.