samuel beaupain
Netherlands
amersfoort
utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
STOP IT!
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried to make the game harder by rolling a cthulhu dice in addition to the mythos card and aplying these results:
Yellow: Close the souvenir shop till the clock next strikes midnight or add 2 doom tokens
Tentacle: Two monsters apear.
Elder Sign: Destroy an Elder Sign.
Cthulhu: Add 1 doom token plus 1 doom token for each devoured character.
Eye: Nothing

What do you guys think of this variant?

(edit; added picture)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samuel beaupain
Netherlands
amersfoort
utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
STOP IT!
mbmbmbmbmb
We are now test playing another variation on this. Instead of closing the shop, we place a monster on the shop. And itmust be defeated before using the shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
I like it. I've been looking for an excuse to buy that thing and I think you just gave me one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samuel beaupain
Netherlands
amersfoort
utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
STOP IT!
mbmbmbmbmb
I already had the dice but the game sucked. So I needed an excuse to use it for something else.
;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estevao Puggina
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, nice idea man, very. It is a dice game so, for sure the cthulhu dice will improve it.

I have two die and based on your idea, I just extended this rules to a more complete set, take a look.

Main Rules

⚫ You must hade two Cthulhu dice to play with this variant

⚫ Give both cthulhu die to the first player, he is now the “Dice Carrier” and due this, the player is considered “Tormented

⚫ The Tormented player is incapable of use clue tokens for the entire round

⚫ Every time the clock strikes midnight and you reveal a mythos card containing the texts:
------ There is no immediate effect today
or
------ No Lingering effects take place today
The Dice Carrier rolls the Cthulhu die and apply the results to ALL players in game

⚫ Next time the clock strikes midnight, the player with the die passes it to the player at his right, that player is now the current Dice Carrier, and he immediately rolls the die and apply the results

Cthulhu dice roll Results

T : Tentacle
Y : Yellow Symbol
EY : Eye
ES : Elder Sign
CH : Cthulhu

T + Y : Souvenir Shop closes
Y + Y : Nullify the Tormented effect
T + T : A Monster appear
CH + Y : Loose 1 common and 1 Special Item
ES + T : Destroy one Monster in play
ES + Y: Gain 1 Clue token
EY + Y : Interrupt and cancel all Magic cards, also Magics cannot be used this round
CH + T : Suffer all Terror effects of all Adventure cards in play area
EY + T : The current investigator (only) loses all Special Items and gain 1 Ally and 1 Magic card
CH + EY : Reveal another Mythos card and resolve its effects alongside the current one (the die can be rolled again if requested by the card)
ES + EY : Add one additional Adventure card to the play area
ES + CH : Destroy 1 Elder Sign already on Cthulhu (if able)
EY +EY : Lock the Red die, the Yellow die and one Green Die (if some dice is already locked leave them at its current position, if for some reason they unlock, lock it again by the roll effects)
ES +ES : Add 1 Elder Sign to the Cthulhu!
CH +CH : Add 3 doom tokens to the doom track

Gameplay

⚫ The cthulhu dice adds flavor and hard difficulty to the game. All players are saved or penalized by the dice results and the “tormented” player became vulnerable and weak forcing other players to take fierce actions for help and win the game.

That's it, thanks for the inspiration = )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the doubtless legions of Cthulhoid gamers who adore the Cthulhu Die artifact and find the Cthulhu Dice game underwhelming at best. So I always welcome just this kind of creative re-deployment.

I like the penalty distribution in the OP variant. But I'm not of the popular opinion that Elder Sign needs to be a lot harder (especially with the forthcoming expansion). So rather than making that Cthulhu Die roll every midnight, I've decided to apply it as an additional cost paid on the demise of an investigator. I think that the standard rules insufficiently penalize investigator "devourings."

My scheme works especially nicely with the Cthulhu result: there's a one in twelve chance that a total of at least three doom will hit the track (1 for the investigator death, plus 1 + n, where n is at least one). That means there's a non-negligible chance that an investigator being devoured will result in the immediate awakening of the Ancient One.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
With the expansion, do you close ALL the entrance cards on a Yellow roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.