Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am coming back to playing the game after a long hiatus and have recently purchased the deluxe edition to replace my first printing of the game. As the title says, is there a way to play with regards to optional rules and cards that is widely accepted these days? I am especially interested in knowing whether the China card optional rule and / or the optional cards are a must in games these days... Sorry if this has been covered in previous threads, I just didn't have the heart to go through all of them

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General consensus that I've seen is:

-Play with all the optional cards and the game is quite balanced.-

Some still give +1 or +2 Influence to the US at the start of the game, but that is less common than the above way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that playing with the new optional cards in the deluxe edition and without the Chinese Civil War variant is well-balanced for good players, playing with CCW and without the optional cards is also balanced but can result in a less interesting game, playing with CCW and the optional cards tips the game towards the US and is also not recommended, and the original setup with neither CCW or optional cards is sligtly tilted towards the USSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheshire Katz
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In games among my friends, the consensus has become all the optional cards and +1 US in Saudi Arabia. We've been very satisfied with the balance and complexity these houserules offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cheshirekatz wrote:
+1 US in Saudi Arabia.

Whut?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.