Subject: Maps with orchards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysztof Rzymkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started thinking about creating maps with orchards on them for scenarios 10 and 15. It kinda bothers me to just imagine them.
This is a rough sketch for scenario 15 "let's hubba-hubba":

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you used too many trees and the map looks weird. If I remember correctly ASL orchards only have 4 trees per hex. I would try somthing similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Rzymkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I see my memory was correct. I don't know how you created the image, but if you increased the distance between trees by about 50%-70% you may get a better result.

Having said that I claim no artistic ability whatsoever, so others may like it more as is than as I suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Rzymkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. That looks better indeed.
Here's a second draft:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yepp, much less crowded. Looks good.

It would look much better if the whole map had more non-orchard hexes, but that can't be helped, the scenario is what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Rzymkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a next iteration.
I've retouched out the crossroads and added hex & board numbers.
I would be nice to add some gameplay-irrelevant graphics somewhere between the trees. I'm thinking about adding benches or bushes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Rzymkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried a new layout of the trees.
Still 4 in a hex, but also vertically and horizontally aligned in line.
Which one do you like better (this on or previous)?

After I settle on the layout I'm going to move on to Scenario 10 - The orchard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orchard map v4 looks best imo. More space in the centre of the hex just seems to make the map look a little less busy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about how orchards play.

Do they block LOS? Ever? You can see across the whole of two and half maps worth of crchards in sceanrio 10?

Routing units ordinarily can stop when they get to cover. Is moving one hex into an orchard sufficent? Seems like no, takes two orchard hexes to get a +1 fire modifer, so maybe must rout through to at least a second orchard hex?

In scenario 10 both sides have units that start "between" the enemy, that is enemy units on their west and east flanks. If forced to retreat by a unit to your east, can you rout to the west? Even though you are not allowed to move towards an enemy unit within your LOS? (May come down to first qustion about LOS...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone, I'm back! You may have noticed that I switched my microbadges and took down the one that said "limited access to BGG for awhile."

Mike,

These are excellent questions:

Quote:
Routing units ordinarily can stop when they get to cover. Is moving one hex into an orchard sufficent? Seems like no, takes two orchard hexes to get a +1 fire modifer, so maybe must rout through to at least a second orchard hex?

Two hexes of orchards (counting the target hex) will give you a modifier so, if you started adjacent, you would only have to move one hex to make the distance 2 and therefore have a positive modifier.

You are right about the general principle. You need to rout in such a way as to get cover and as soon as you get cover, you may stop. Orchards provide cover if you are at least two hexes away.

Quote:
In scenario 10 both sides have units that start "between" the enemy, that is enemy units on their west and east flanks. If forced to retreat by a unit to your east, can you rout to the west? Even though you are not allowed to move towards an enemy unit within your LOS? (May come down to first qustion about LOS...)

You are right again - you can't rout toward units that you can "see". That means that units in the orchards in that scenario that are surrounded are going to be eliminated if they have to rout. That seems harsh, but remember, they only have to take that rout check if adjacent or in the same hex (they are not in open ground if they are two hexes away in the orchards). I think this is appropriate for "surrounded" situations and fits what happened in that battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jim! I was getting frustrated with that scenario, but now I'm eager to get back to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.