Unhappy King Charles!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Callander -- activation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Playing the card Army of the Solemn League and the Covenant: the rulebook says:

Additionally, in Late 1644 the Parliament Player can Activate Callander and two Covenanter Brigades (...). Callander starts in Carlisle or Berwick upon Activation in the same way as Leven. Both Callander and Leven may command Parliament Brigades, but no Parliament General may command Covenanter Brigades or Subordinate Covenanter Generals

The questions are:

[1]. When exactly Callander is activated? With the first card played by the Parliament? During the recruitment phase? With any Parliament card played during the Campaign Phase?

[2]. Can I leave him off the board, if I don't wish him to enter the map (for example, to avoid interception and possible major/decisive victory)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
Playing the card Army of the Solemn League and the Covenant: the rulebook says:

Additionally, in Late 1644 the Parliament Player can Activate Callander and two Covenanter Brigades (...). Callander starts in Carlisle or Berwick upon Activation in the same way as Leven. Both Callander and Leven may command Parliament Brigades, but no Parliament General may command Covenanter Brigades or Subordinate Covenanter Generals

The questions are:

[1]. When exactly Callander is activated? With the first card played by the Parliament? During the recruitment phase? With any Parliament card played during the Campaign Phase?

[2]. Can I leave him off the board, if I don't wish him to enter the map (for example, to avoid interception and possible major/decisive victory)?

(1) When you choose to activate him under the activation rules in that Campaign Phase. You will have to play a card to do so (there being no equivalent of the Solemn League card which activates Leven).

(2) Yes (it says "can" not "must"), but there is no mechanism for him being available in later turns. He's off in the Highlands a'hunting the deer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Charles Vasey wrote:
(1) When you choose to activate him under the activation rules in that Campaign Phase. You will have to play a card to do so (there being no equivalent of the Solemn League card which activates Leven).

All right, how do I read the words upon Activation in the same way as Leven that refer to the activation of Callander? Leven, when he enters the game, can be activated for free i.e. his activated with the card of the Solemn League. Isn't Callander activated in the same manner e.g. I discard a Royalist event to place a PC marker and move Callander from Berwick to... erm, to anywhere, I can't recall any names from the remote North.

Charles Vasey wrote:
(2) Yes (it says "can" not "must"), but there is no mechanism for him being available in later turns. He's off in the Highlands a'hunting the deer.

He's gone when the turn 'Late 1644' ends, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
Charles Vasey wrote:

All right, how do I read the words upon Activation in the same way as Leven that refer to the activation of Callander? Leven, when he enters the game, can be activated for free i.e. his activated with the card of the Solemn League. Isn't Callander activated in the same manner e.g. I discard a Royalist event to place a PC marker and move Callander from Berwick to... erm, to anywhere, I can't recall any names from the remote North.

Charles Vasey wrote:

He's gone when the turn 'Late 1644' ends, right?

"Callander starts in Carlisle or Berwick upon Activation in the same way as Leven." It addresses where he starts and where he comes from, there is no card to "freely" activate him, but then there is no card to "freely" activate Leven. There is a card that activates Leven at the cost of one card.
I don't see any rule that supports an activation without special card by either Covenanter leader so on my reading, no, he isn't activated on a discarded Royalist event.

The rule only permits his entry in 'Late 1644' correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Charles Vasey wrote:
I don't see any rule that supports an activation without special card by either Covenanter leader so on my reading, no, he isn't activated on a discarded Royalist event.

Please, good sir, excuse my ignorance, stubbornness and lack of command of English which, most probably, is the root cause of all the problems I have with understanding that goddamn rule. Here's an excerpt from the rulebook (again!); the excerpt refers to the Solemn League mandatory card:

The Parliament Player places the five Covenanter Brigades in Leven’s Command Box and then (...) immediately Activates Leven for movement upon placement of these Brigades. Leven starts in Carlisle or Berwick (...). This placement is considered normal movement (although the placement itself costs no Movement Points), so it can trigger Interception (...) or Battle. If Leven fights a Battle and loses or draws, his Activation is over as normal and he is kept off the map. He may attempt entry again on a later Activation in the same way.

And later:

Callander starts in Carlisle or Berwick upon Activation in the same way as Leven.

Leven is activated 'freely', only by playing the mandatory card; other units that come as the reinforcements are placed on the map and require an operation card to activate them. So it is a free activation after all.

[1]. The following words, to what they exactly refer to: He may attempt entry again on a later Activation in the same way. Do they refer to the geographical locations in which Leven may be placed, should he fail to enter the board when the mandatory card was played? Or they refer to the immediate activation once he's placed on the board?

[2]. The words in the same way as Leven, from the paragraph on Callander entry, what do they exactly refer to? The geographical location -- I'd say not as the locations are directly named in the very same sentence (i.e. it says explicitly one places him in Carlisle or Berwick). So what do they refer to? The activation taking place after the placement?

From what you say I interpret the rules as follows: Leven is placed on the board when the mandatory card is played. He may be placed in Berwick or in the other space and is immediately activated -- this activation is free in that sense that no operation card is required for that purpose. He may either move or, for instance, bombard Carlisle, should the player will to do so. Callander, on the other hand, enters the theater of war in a way that is not exactly the same, as I understand -- you need at least a two-point card to place him either in Berwick or Carlisle; it's more in the spirit of placing a general from the reinforcement box -- you may place him in any space containing 'free' brigades by playing an appropriate card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I answered this already and I can only answer it as I read it;

Callandar requires an Ops card to activate him. He can only activate and enter in Late 1644.

If you read it another way then you should follow your instincts.

Has your question now moved to Leven?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Charles Vasey wrote:
Callandar requires an Ops card to activate him. He can only activate and enter in Late 1644.

Thought as much, an Ops card which definitely is the same way as Leven.

Charles Vasey wrote:

Nope, he was quoted just for a reference -- thank you very much for your patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
Charles Vasey wrote:

Thought as much, an Ops card which definitely is the same way as Leven.

Charles Vasey wrote:

Nope, he was quoted just for a reference -- thank you very much for your patience.

On the contrary thank you for yours. The Scots are one area where I and the team do mull over "complicating" matters. But I think we would want to do more than just store the Scots off map. Perhaps a simple sub-system for Montrose? I hesitate to add more time to a game that I play in sub-four hours but others find takes them six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.