Joshua Chen
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Starting Technology: Engineering
Government: Despotism
Start Bonus: The Roman capital begins with any free basic building or a free unlocked upgraded building.
Abl 1: The Romans advance up the culture track whenever they construct a wonder, or conquer a city or village. They do not advance for settling cities.
Abl 2: New Roman cities begin with any free basic building or a free unlocked upgraded building.

I've only tested this variant once. The first ability was made slightly weaker than it is in the original version, for balance; we found that getting a great person/culture card and a building was a bit too much (although not game-breakingly so) for settling a city.

Tell me what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H.
Germany
flag msg tools
abl. 2 seems to be quite difficult to understand for me. they can have ANY base building but only unlocked advanced buildings, meaning the advanced version must be unlocked???

alltogether, i don't like it too much to be honest. i guess the romans are just fine the way they are and i don't feel any need for an alternative version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hohmann
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
Super Mario Kart Fan
badge
www.BoardgameMonkeys.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont get either why you want to change the Romans. Do you think they need a boost?

I would like to see new Civs instead of alternatives of already existing civs.

I have to agree with Chris here. I like the original Romans more, which doesnt mean that your ideas are bad.
Engeneering is a powerfull tech to start in addition to the free unlocked upgraded building (maybe an aquaduct).
But the starting tile of the Romans lacks grassland for that tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Chen
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
This wasn't meant to be a fix, just something to change the flavor and make games more interesting.

Their 2nd ability is like that of the Spanish, in that you can only build a free upgraded building if you've already unlocked it. Meanwhile, you can build any free basic building, unlocked or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.