Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Argo
United States
Durant
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about getting into Summoner Wars, but don't really know where to start. If anything, I'd like to have access to the original factions that came out of the first starter set, rather than the newer factions from the current Master Set. How difficult is it to acquire the older factions?

Pardon if this is a stupid question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Wallop !
mbmbmbmbmb
You're looking just in time as the original starter sets were just reprinted and easily available from plaidhatgames.com and/or your favorite other retailer most likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not difficult:
- Plaid Hat
- CoolStuffInc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much everything is available now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Argo
United States
Durant
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It actually was a stupid question, or at least an uninformed one. I was under the assumption that the original six factions all came in one box, like the Master Set, not as six mini-starter sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
erasercrumbs wrote:
I was under the assumption that the original six factions all came in one box, like the Master Set, not as six mini-starter sets.

That's not exactly the case, either. You have the Phoenix Elves/Tundra Orcs starter & the Guild Dwarves/Cave Goblin starter, which come with the paired decks, dice, instructions and paper maps.

The other faction decks (Jungle Elves/Fallen Kingdom/Cloaks/Vanguards all released prior to the Master Set; Mercenaries & Filth after) are available as supplemental decks that you would need to have either a starter or Master Set to play (correctly, anyway).

[edit] This also doesn't take into account any of the Reinforcement packs, which provide options (not necessities) to pairs of Factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Argo
United States
Durant
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just ordered the Orcs vs. Elves and Goblins vs. Dwarves starter sets.

Was that an okay start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way I started so...yeah, it's an ok way to start. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
erasercrumbs wrote:

Was that an okay start?

Yep all those factions are good fun. You get a lot of game in those little boxes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
erasercrumbs wrote:

Was that an okay start?

If you are starting from scratch learning the game, I think that those are the best factions to start with, particularly the Phoenix Elves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mb
Does anyone know if there are any plans to re-release the Phoenix Elves+Tundra Orcs and Guild Dwarves+Cave Goblins as standalone packs (a la the non-Master Set factions and reinforcements)? I just don't fathom needing that many boards/boxes, unless someone can convince me otherwise XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
devoidwolf wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any plans to re-release the Phoenix Elves+Tundra Orcs and Guild Dwarves+Cave Goblins as standalone packs (a la the non-Master Set factions and reinforcements)? I just don't fathom needing that many boards/boxes, unless someone can convince me otherwise XD

Last I heard this wasn't planned at any point. They want to keep them in the regular starter sets for people who are a bit more hesitant to dive right into the Master Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.