Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to hear this from some people. I hear that 2 has less planetary management is more conflict oriented, and shorter????

What's the story, folks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been a loooong time, but I do still have this game and want to play it again sometime soon. I do recall it seemed more bloody and faster to play - but that also may have had to do with the group of gamers I played it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
TI2 is definitely more "combat" oriented. There are still diplomacy and political aspects, but they aren't nearly as prominent, because all the objectives of the game deal with conquest and spreading your empire.

The economy of TI2 is a lot more straightforward, but there can be a lot more downtime as a player does ALL their movement (and battles, if I recall) before the next player goes.

I think TI3 is a lot more flexible and dynamic. TI2 may be a bit faster, but it's not as "deep". I think they are both fun games, though I haven't played TI2 in awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
To an extent, my review of TI3 does such a comparison. TI2 was really the game I anted but it wasn't the game I got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still prefer TI2 over TI3. But that might be because I played hundres of TI2 games and only played TI3 twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had made an econ form with the SOP on the back. I took new players through the first turn and by the end of the turn they had the game down.

IMHO but recognize YMMV TI3 was a step backwards. I sold the base game long ago but still have my TI2.

The way I used to do it was to randomly pass out the home systems. Then we would place the center system face up. Then we would shuffle the other tiles and deal them out upside down. Each player was allowed to look at there 'hand' before placement started. Then we built the rings of tiles leaving blank's where the home system's would go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
This review of TI is about TI, TI2 and TI3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.