Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Die Macher» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions After First Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first play tonight. With 4 newbies, we took approximately 5+ hours, not counting a dinner break, setup, rules and practice turn. We picked it up pretty quickly, and for a game of this complexity, there weren't tons of rules mistakes. The worst was using small cubes for both meeting markers AND media markers, so that we were able to buy way more media than we should have been able to and we ran low on meeting markers. Around the second turn, we noticed the mistake and were able to recover.

Rules: On the 7th round, are you supposed to do the contribution cards? We did, figuring that the money was useless but rolling for extra Party Members was worthwhile.

Is the "No coalition" tile only used in short games?

A key issue can't be swapped - you must use a Shadow minister card to remove the "key issue" marker first, correct?

When forming coalitions, everyone has a chance to voluntarily agree to a coalition before anyone can force a coalition, is that correct?

When playing a contradictory card on a secured National Opinion card, does it just remove the securing card or does it remove both the secured and original?

This is more of a strategy question: Our scores were approximately 380, 300, 280 and 260. The winner was the only player to start the game taking the full +12 Party Membership. We never got close to catching up to him in membership and this put him in a great financial position for the rest of the game. Is this a well-known strategic rule? "Always start by taking +12 Party members"? It seemed to give him a fairly permanent advantage.

Overall, everyone enjoyed the game and even the one least impressed said she was never bored even though it was an extremely long game. I do think playing with 5 would be better - I had very a very similar platform to the winner (I came in second) and the last two players had similar platforms. I had a hard time catching up to the leader because what was good for me was good for him. It seems that a fifth player would inject a little variety to the issues and make it less likely to fall into two "camps" as we did. I should have forced more coalitions with him, but I kept trying to win on my own so I could catch him.

We did have trouble with the graphics, as it seems everyone has . I bought mine used and the previous owner sleeved all the cards and I HATE sleeved cards. Hard to shuffle, hard to stack in piles without them sliding all over. Otherwise no component gripes.





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rockhpi wrote:

Rules: On the 7th round, are you supposed to do the contribution cards? We did, figuring that the money was useless but rolling for extra Party Members was worthwhile.


No, from the rules:

Round 7
This round is very short. Immediately after Round 6, proceed to step 6.3 Score Current State for the last election.

Basically, all you do in round/state 7 is score the votes.

rockhpi wrote:

Is the "No coalition" tile only used in short games?


It is used in both. The final state has no-coalitions since it is only scored.

rockhpi wrote:

A key issue can't be swapped - you must use a Shadow minister card to remove the "key issue" marker first, correct?


Correct.

rockhpi wrote:

When forming coalitions, everyone has a chance to voluntarily agree to a coalition before anyone can force a coalition, is that correct?


No, coalitions are formed in play turn order. So, player two can force a coaltion on player 3 event if player 3 and 4 wanted to voluntarily join up.

rockhpi wrote:

When playing a contradictory card on a secured National Opinion card, does it just remove the securing card or does it remove both the secured and original?


Yes, contradictory card removes the secured card. That's the only way to remove a secured opinioon.

I don't think any starting position guarantees victory. imnsho.

BOb
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
rockhpi wrote:

Rules: On the 7th round, are you supposed to do the contribution cards? We did, figuring that the money was useless but rolling for extra Party Members was worthwhile.


No, from the rules:

Round 7
This round is very short. Immediately after Round 6, proceed to step 6.3 Score Current State for the last election.

Basically, all you do in round/state 7 is score the votes.
I used the following file to great effect.
DMsteps.pdf
It allows you to check off each step for each round in the game as you do them. And specifically for the last round it has Xs in the steps that are not performed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:

Yes, contradictory card removes the secured card. That's the only way to remove a secured opinioon.


Let me clarify a bit -A secured issue has two cards. Do you play one contradictory to remove the top securing card and then another to remove the issue entirely or does 1 contradictory card remove BOTH the cards in the secure group?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rockhpi wrote:
pilotbob wrote:

Yes, contradictory card removes the secured card. That's the only way to remove a secured opinioon.


Let me clarify a bit -A secured issue has two cards. Do you play one contradictory to remove the top securing card and then another to remove the issue entirely or does 1 contradictory card remove BOTH the cards in the secure group?


1 removes both.

BOb
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rockhpi wrote:
When forming coalitions, everyone has a chance to voluntarily agree to a coalition before anyone can force a coalition, is that correct?


Nope. Player 1 could offer a coalition to player 3, then if player 3 declined, player 1 could force a coalition with player 2. All of this happens before any other player gets a turn in the form coalitions phase.

Quote:
This is more of a strategy question: Our scores were approximately 380, 300, 280 and 260. The winner was the only player to start the game taking the full +12 Party Membership. We never got close to catching up to him in membership and this put him in a great financial position for the rest of the game. Is this a well-known strategic rule? "Always start by taking +12 Party members"? It seemed to give him a fairly permanent advantage.


The best choice in the opening selections is heavily dependent on the values of the initial scoring regions. If the first region is very valuable and the 2nd/3rd/4th are not, then +12 party members is a very bad choice.

The income from +12 party members only gets applied 3 times, so it's only 36 money. In a money-tight (low value regions) game, that can be quite nice. In a money-rich (high value regions) game, it's not so spiffy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.