Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I know you aren't supposed to play the exhibit card in the castle if you don't have a legal exhibit, but what happens if someone messed up and did this?

I have the Adel Verpflichtet Avalon Hill edition and don't recall seeing the answer.

Wouldn't seem fair to the others to redo the castle selection. Does that person just not to do anything? Anyone know how this situation is handled?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would think that person just does not get to do anything.I have the hoity toity version and I know it says that you cannot select the exhibit card if you do not have an exhibit to play but it does not say anything about what happens if someone does.The only fair thing would to be that person loses out on doing something else in the castle because making everone choose again would not be fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If they choose again they have a big advantage, knowing if thieves or detectives have been played, and how many are displaying. You need a solution that penalizes as few people as possible, but the maker of the mistake must be penalized more than others and certainly not rewarded.

I'd say if you choose exhibit and cannot exhibit you do nothing. Even if you're the only one or the only one of two and thus a "zero card exhibit" places first or second you do not advance any spaces. That's a bummer, but it's not crushing, and you did make a mistake.

If the non-exhibiting exhibitor is allowed to re-choose a castle role they can choose thief if there are no detectives, or choose detective if they see thieves, or choose thief if there are detectives if there are enough exhibitors to make the haul worth sending the thief to jail. Not only is this wonderful set of choices a huge advantage, you would be making the choice knowing precisely what the outcome would be, which is the opposite of how this game is supposed to work.

Certainly you can't have everyone re-choose their castle options, as they have already revealed the intention they brought to the castle. They'd be forced to repeat a choice they've revealed or switch to their second choice. Re-choosing penalizes everyone *but* the maker of the mistake.

In a typical game of HT any given player will experience a few turns where the get nothing - when they're outbid, when thieves collide, when they play detective when there are no thieves. One more turn of nothing is not much of a penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best solution here is that the culprit must exhibit his entire collection. Because it's not a set, the exhibitor won't advance on the track at all, but this does ensure that any thieves played will not be going away empty handed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.