Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shards of the Throne» Forums » Rules

Subject: About flagships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Olof
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
So I just bought shards and I've been meaning to play it soon with my buddies.
I'm just wondering about the rules regarding flagships, technology in particular. Which technologies apply to them?
I read in the FAQ that nano tech and type IV drives do, I haven't seen an explanation to why this is and because of that I'm left asking what other techs apply.

So in conclusion: which techs and or other rules have I overlooked about the flagships?

Thanks in advance

Klurig, long time lurker, first time poster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Allegedly, FFG have said that that FAQ ruling is in error and that no tech applies to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravity Drive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Gravity Drive, Lightwave Deflectors, and Duranium Armor do. The new L1z1x racial tech does. Nano Tech and Type IV Drives depends whether you want to use the FAQ from August or the one from February that doesn't highlight the change, and mismatches the question and answer on Scenario Objectives.

Assault Cannon and other DN techs don't apply, even to the L1z1x Flagship with the stats of 2 DNs and the Bombardment ability. An Admiral adds an extra die, but not extra movement. This is particularly strong with Jol-Nar and Norr Flagships.

For your first game, you'll have to tell people at least a dozen times that Flagships can only be built in your HS. Mentak cannot use their racial tech to rebuild a Flagship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Olof
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for all the replies. Is there anything else that might be good to know about these beasts?

Can't wait to try them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The Yin flagship is very clunky with the way its ability works. It's best to discuss it for 10 minutes, then play test it that way. If it feels right, keep it that way. The ability speaks only of participating in Space Battle, but the FAQ includes PDS fire, creating a contradiction.

It may also be a good idea for all the players to tell each other their Flagship abilities and combat stats, just in case. It sure would suck for Letnev to max out their Sustain Damage, just for the Mentak to negate it all.

Read the FAQ and threads on the Ghost flagship. Basically, it can't use its own wormhole, moving through it, or Gravity Drive adjacency. If it stays behind though, the rest of the fleet does get the Gravity Drive boost.

The Nekro flagship is also the densest combat unit in the game, for the low low price of 9 resources.

Strategy-wise, building without activating is the optimal way to build your flagship, so it can get in on the action faster. Further on that point, Warfare II secondary may get used more often. Also, let the table know about the new AC that gives 1 VP for destroying a Flagship or War Sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
Allegedly, FFG have said that that FAQ ruling is in error and that no tech applies to them.

The latest version of the FAQ confirms this; Nanotech and Type IV drive do NOT affect Flagships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.