Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of Tannhauser. I love the theme and the artwork and I understand that if I buy now then I will get the revised rules which addresses much of the criticism levelled at the game. I really like painted miniatures, and though I'm okay at painting I'm way too slow, so the pre-painted minis is a big plus to me.

But here's the catch. I have Earth Reborn. I've never played it partly for two reasons. Firstly, I bought it second hand the the previous owner had a go and painting the minis and made a mess - I'm quite anal so I have an outstanding task to give them a half decent paint job before playing. Secondly, I prefer the Tannhauser them much more than the Earth Reborn one.

But all that considered, as far as I can tell, the two games are similar, and based on the reviews and feeback, Earth Reborn is the better game by a long way.

So given that I have Earth Reborn, is it even worth me looking at Tannhauser. Should add, that money isn't an issue but at the same time I don't want to waste it on a game I won't play because ER is so much better.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that you are looking for comparison here, but alas, I have never tried Earth Reborn.

I have played Tannhauser many times and find the game very good indeed. It's fast paced, packed with tight tactical decisions and looks outstanding. It's only downside is the price, certainly if you collect it all.

I would also be interested to know how other people think Earth Reborn compares. If it's even better - it might need to become a must buy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info - tempted to just buy it anyway.

Just that I have a few games on my list, so if Tannhauser is going to be too similar or inferior than ER then I will put the money towards something else.

Would be interseted to know the relative complexities.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, based on two of the reasons you gave for not playing Earth Reborn, it sounds like you'd play Tannhauser more. What are the other reasons you havent played Earth Reborn?

I strongly considered picking up Earth Reborn, because it's the type of game that i like the most and i dont mind painting miniatures, especially after tackling Space Hulk. ER has a lot of things in its favor, but ultimately, i decided to stay w/ Tannhauser & expand because it has so many options for expansion. The replayability in TH is far greater than ER - many more characters, character equipment setups, and maps. Eventually, TH will grow old if they stop releasing characters & maps; also, there is really only room for 1 game of this type with the people i play with and when the time comes to replace it, I'll get ER - if it has broadened its diversity by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

How essential are the expansions. I don't buy many expansions as a rule as I think (in general) they are poor value for money compared with a full game. Not against it, and if I enjoy the game then I will expand. But I don't like games which suck you into to spending more and more money.

So assuming I were just to go for the base game, will it have reasonable life before I feel the need to expand?

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a full game in Tannhauser without expansions - EXCEPT - the scenarios provided in the book assume that you have some expansions. There are many ways to play Tannhauser, without using the scenarios given in the rulebook and you can easily create your own.

If you like the base game, you will find it hard to resist buying some of the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah Terry
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:

So assuming I were just to go for the base game, will it have reasonable life before I feel the need to expand?

I played the original core game with only the Yula and Gorgei Expansions for nearly two years. So I think that if your really like the game and get into createing your own scenarios you'll have plenty of replay value without expanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just have the base game you can play through the FFG Summer Campaign scenarios

(found here on :

Miah Terry
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

wonderful blog!)

http://miah000.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/ffg-sumer-campaign-rev...

The only thing "extra" you will need is another Blusturm agent but this is purely for an objective and so any spare counters for Eva will suffice.

The game really shines with "story" scenarios and as long as you can keep finding/writing them then you are golden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.