Runewars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Summer card: redeployment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Yesterday we played Runewars and the summer card 'Redeployment' came up. It allows you to take back an order card (The one played in spring). Everybody took their order card back. Then I think we did something that wasn't correct. We all took the supremacy bonus on the next order card we played (regardless of whether it was higher than the previously played card). I think this was incorrect because the rules refer to the highest order card played this year and not the one in front of you from previous seasons... correct?

If I am correct about being incorrect, suppose I play the same order card in summer as I did in spring. Will I get the supremacy bonus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Maylott
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supremacy bonus is determined by the orders currently in front of you.

If you have returned your spring order, then your summer order will be your first order and so will earn you a supremacy bonus.

In a similar situation, there is also a spring event in which players may not return all their order cards from the previous year. The supremacy bonus only applies if the current order is higher than all of your existing orders, whether they are from this year or last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psmaylott wrote:

I concur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
psmaylott wrote:

Source? This is, as far as I can tell, not what the text in the rulebook says. It refers to the highest numbered card used this year. Just because the card is no longer in front of you that does not mean you didn't use that card this year.

Page 12 in the rules: "When resolving an Order card, if it is the current player’s highest numbered card used this year, then he may use the Supremacy Bonus ability on the card in addition to the primary ability."

psmaylott wrote:
In a similar situation, there is also a spring event in which players may not return all their order cards from the previous year. The supremacy bonus only applies if the current order is higher than all of your existing orders, whether they are from this year or last year.

The card you are referring to is "Long Winter". That card specifically states that this is the case. I therefore think that it is not a good example to prove the point. Perhaps it is better proof for the opposite. Why would the card need to mention that if that is the default behaviour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Brother wrote:
psmaylott wrote:

Source? This is, as far as I can tell, not what the text in the rulebook says. It refers to the highest numbered card used this year. Just because the card is no longer in front of you that does not mean you didn't use that card this year.

Page 12 in the rules: "When resolving an Order card, if it is the current player’s highest numbered card used this year, then he may use the Supremacy Bonus ability on the card in addition to the primary ability."

That's part of it right there; if you take the card back, it's no longer considered "used"; it's in your hand.

Another one is later on the same page:
"This means every Spring players will be able to take advantage of
their Order card’s Supremacy Bonus because they do not have any
other Order cards in play
." (bold emphasis mine).
There, it talks about the reason you get it is because there are no others in play, which is the exact same situation as if you pull it up in Summer.

Keep in mind, the main rules are written with the idea of "normal effect" - normally, you can't remove cards, so playing them means they are going to be down. FFG games rarely have a "memory" element for things like this, and so once it's off the table, it's basically like it was never played.

You can probably send a rules question to FFG if you want, but I am 99.9999% sure that Corey will confirm this is the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a response back from Corey on this one:

Q: If you pick up and order back into your hand, such as via the Favor of the Spies Guild card or the Redeployment summer card, does that card still count as having been "played" for future supremacies? IE, if I had played #8 in the spring, and then Redeployment comes up in summer allowing me to pick up #8, would my Summer order get the supremacy bonus? (My feeling is "yes", that only cards on the table affect supremacy, and that there wasn't intended to be a memory element of "what had been played earlier but was since picked up".

A: Only cards on the table count for supremacy.

So if you pick up the card with Redeployment, it no longer affects your Supremacy (and thus whatever you played in Summer would get Supremacy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.