Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure these have been answered before, but there are almost 800 threads of rules questions! That's too many to search page by page, so please forgive me.

We had these questions while playing but I think we figured them our correctly. Could you please verify that these statements are correct?

mintcamel The Command location is the only way to launch unmanned vipers.
limecamel Players in the Brig still draw all their skill cards.
grapecamel The Hangar Bay is the only location that allows damaged vipers to be repaired.
lemoncamel Raptors are only used on the cards that allow you to "Risk" them.
orangecamel A sympathizer is sent to the Brig (because one or more resources are in the red) can then perform a skill test to leave the Brig. That player claims victory or defeat with the humans.
goldencamel Only players with the Pilot trait can launch (and pilot) vipers from the Hangar Bay but any player can launch vipers from Command.

Now the questions:

d10-1 How do we deploy new cylons when they attack but there are no more cylon ships in the reserves (because all of them are already out on the board)
d10-2 If a card says "Keep this card in play" but does not have the word "until" or any other note on how to remove it, does it stay in play permanently? We failed our first skill test (I do not recall the card name) and were not able to look at loyalty cards for the entire game.
d10-3 Can civilian ships ever move?
d10-4 Players piloting vipers can take an extra action so long as the second action involves the viper, right? Could the turn be 1-move then 2-attack, or 1-move then 2-move? Could you perhaps provide me with a sample turn of what a pilot can do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Could you please verify that these statements are correct?

grapecamel The Hangar Bay is the only location that allows damaged vipers to be repaired.
lemoncamel Raptors are only used on the cards that allow you to "Risk" them.
orangecamel A sympathizer is sent to the Brig (because one or more resources are in the red) can then perform a skill test to leave the Brig. That player claims victory or defeat with the humans.
goldencamel Only players with the Pilot trait can launch (and pilot) vipers from the Hangar Bay but any player can launch vipers from Command.

Yes, all of those are correct.
Quote:

Now the questions:

d10-1 How do we deploy new cylons when they attack but there are no more cylon ships in the reserves (because all of them are already out on the board)

You don't due to component limitations. Current player has their choice of which ones to place when there aren't enough to place them all.

Quote:
d10-2 If a card says "Keep this card in play" but does not have the word "until" or any other note on how to remove it, does it stay in play permanently? We failed our first skill test (I do not recall the card name) and were not able to look at loyalty cards for the entire game.

Yup, whole game in that case.

Quote:
d10-3 Can civilian ships ever move?

Civs can be moved using the Communications location.

Quote:
d10-4 Players piloting vipers can take an extra action so long as the second action involves the viper, right? Could the turn be 1-move then 2-attack, or 1-move then 2-move? Could you perhaps provide me with a sample turn of what a pilot can do?

No, most pilots get the same as everyone else, one move and one action. Starbuck is an Expert Pilot and she gets a bonus action if she started her turn in a viper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:

...unless that player's other Loyalty Card is "You Are A Cylon", of course. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have misunderstood the Moving and Actions when Piloting section on page 26 of the rulebook.

I see now that the first "action" as I called it is just the movement phase. The actual Action is the option to move again or attack. So a turn could be two movements or one move and one attack. A turn could never be a card action followed by move/attack or two attacks.

Is that correct now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's right, except this part "a card action followed by move or attack". Move always comes before action, so you could move, then play a card action, but you could not play a card action and then move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
So a turn could be two movements, one move and one attack, or a card action followed by move or attack, but never two attacks.

Is that correct now?

Not quite. Unless you are using the cards from Pegasus that allow themselves to be played as a movement action (e.g. Preventative Policy), then you cannot play a card and then move or attack.

For instance you cannot launch a scout and then make an attack. That is two actions, and you only get one when you're in a viper (unless you are Starbuck starting your turn in space or someone play an Executive Order on you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
Yes, that's right, except this part "a card action followed by move or attack". Move always comes before action, so you could move, then play a card action, but you could not play a card action and then move.

Oh duh! I'm not sure why I said that. I've fixed my post now to what I actually meant to say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my confusion here was from the Hangar Deck that says take another action after launching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
I think my confusion here was from the Hangar Deck that says take another action after launching.

Ah yes. So in that case, for instance, you move from somewhere to the Hangar Deck. For your action you use the Hangar Deck action to launch. You then get a bonus action, which could be moving, attacking, or playing a card action.

If you started in the Hangar Deck, then you would just not get to use your Movement step. You can't save it for later once launched or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:

This is almost true. Apollo's CAG ability also allows unmanned Vipers to be launched, and Cylon Attack cards usually require unmanned Vipers to be launched.

The rest are true though there are one or two quibbles about the effects of things added by the expansions, and one of the base game destinations lets you repair damaged/destroyed Vipers.

Quote:
Now the questions:

Your questions have already been answered, but I thought I'd give more detail on this one.

On a pilot's turn, they get a movement step and an action step just like anybody else does (when Starbuck starts her turn already piloting a Viper, she gets a second action even if she's no longer piloting by that point). What makes pilots different is that they can use an action to activate the Hangar Deck to launch into a Viper, in which case they get an extra action immediately after launching, and that they get extra options for their move/action while piloting:

While piloting, a character can either move to any location on Colonial One or Galactica (except the Brig and Sickbay) by discarding a skill card to change ships, just like any other character who's on a different ship than the one to which they wish to move. Or they can move their Viper one space sector in either direction.

While piloting, as an action, a character can use any action they could normally, or they can activate their current location - the Viper they're piloting. The Viper activation could be to move one sector, or to fire at one Cylon ship in their current sector.

A possible first turn for Boomer (who has no piloting-related character abilities) would be to move to the Hangar Deck, use her action to activate the Hangar Deck, launching into the port-rear space sector (the one next to where the civilians start with a launch icon), and gaining a bonus action which she uses to activate her Viper, moving to the rear space sector (where the civilians start).

On her next turn, with Raiders having activated twice in the meantime, and reached the starboard-rear space sector, she moves her Viper to join the Raiders and uses her action to activate her Viper to fire at one of them. If she had a Maximum Firepower card in hand, she could have used her action to play that instead, and taken up to 4 shots at the 3 raiders, with a good chance of destroying them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:

Just thought I'd clarify this. All characters who have piloting in their skill set can pilot Vipers. This means all of the pilots (unsurprisingly), but also Karl "Helo" Agathon, as he draws piloting. You'll notice amongst the components that those are the only four with a piloting token.

Everything else has been answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
wizcreations wrote:

Just thought I'd clarify this. All characters who have piloting in their skill set can pilot Vipers. This means all of the pilots (unsurprisingly), but also Karl "Helo" Agathon, as he draws piloting. You'll notice amongst the components that those are the only four with a piloting token.

Everything else has been answered.

This is why I asked. There are only 4 piloting tokens, so I assumed only those characters could pilot vipers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
While piloting, a character can either move to any location on Colonial One or Galactica (except the Brig and Sickbay) by discarding a skill card to change ships, just like any other character who's on a different ship than the one to which they wish to move. Or they can move their Viper one space sector in either direction.

This results in the viper being placed back in the reserves though, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

This results in the viper being placed back in the reserves though, right?

Yep. When a pilot moves to Galactica or Colonial One for any reason other than their Viper being damaged/destroyed (moving voluntarily, jumping the fleet, getting thrown in the Brig, etc), their Viper goes back to the reserves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto here, most of the Qs already answered, but just to add (no expansions considered. Request otherwise)....

wizcreations wrote:

Often overlooked, since Baltar doesn't draw a crisis card in the Brig, he won't get to use his special ability!

wizcreations wrote:

Generally Yes. But as a "loophole" to repair vipers without going to Hangar Deck nor using a Repair card, the Ragnar Anchorage desination card allows you to repair 3 vipers and 1 Raptor, damaged or destroyed.

wizcreations wrote:
d10-4 Players piloting vipers can take an extra action so long as the second action involves the viper, right?

Incorrect. Pilots in space also get to move on their Movement Step, and 1 action on their Action Step just like all the other players. Notes that if Starbuck starts off her turn in space, she gets an additional action due to her special ability.

wizcreations wrote:
Could the turn be 1-move then 2-attack, or 1-move then 2-move? Could you perhaps provide me with a sample turn of what a pilot can do?

for generic pilot starting his turn in space, these are all the things that can be done (leaving out expansion options)....

Movement step
--move from one space sector to an adjacent space sector
--discard one skill of your choice (the official FAQ states that despite Apollo's weakness, he gets to choose this card) to move to any location on Galactica (except Sickbay or Brig, as those are hazard locations denoted by the yellow borders) or Colonial One. His viper goes back to the Reserve.

Action step
--attack a cylon ship in the same space sector
--use an action on a skill card, such as Maximum Firepower or Launch Scout
--use an action on his character sheet (e.g. Apollo's CAG OPG ability)
--if President, can play a Quorum card
--if Admiral, can launch a nuke
--if unrevealed cylon, can reveal

EDIT: added last bullet point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help, everyone! I think this about sums up all of my questions after the first run.

I'm sure I will eventually have more questions once I see more Crises cards and character sheets, but until then, I'm set! Pretty soon I may ask which expansion should be purchased first...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Pretty soon I may ask which expansion should be purchased first...

Both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
for generic pilot starting his turn in space, these are all the things that can be done (leaving out expansion options)....

Movement step
--discard one skill of your choice (the official FAQ states that despite Apollo's weakness, he gets to choose this card) to move to any location on Galactica (except Sickbay or Brig, as those are hazard locations denoted by the yellow borders) or Colonial One. His viper goes back to the Reserve.

Action step
--attack a cylon ship in the same space sector
--use an action on a skill card, such as Maximum Firepower or Launch Scout
--use an action on his character sheet (e.g. Apollo's CAG OPG ability)
--if President, can play a Quorum card
--if Admiral, can launch a nuke

--if unrevealed Cylon, can reveal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question about Helo:
While Helo is stranded, does he still draw skill cards and participate in skill checks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he just can't move, be moved or take actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.