Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished another calculus quiz - my fastest time yet! Even better, 100%. I am, however, puzzled by one of the questions.

f(x)=7 sec(x), from [-pi/4, pi/4]
I had to find the first derivative to find the critical point, then use the boundaries and critical point to find absolute minimum & absolute maximum. Not too hard. I plug f and f' into the calculator, evaluate at -pi/4, 0, and pi/4, and get results of 9.899495, 7 and 9.899495.

Only problem is, I can tell from how the answer slot is labeled that they're not looking for a decimal. I found a similar problem in the book that showed the max of sec(pi/4) as √2. I tried evaluating 7√2, sure 'nuff = 9.899495.

What puzzles me is how to evaluate sec(pi/4) to get the radical of √2 as an answer. Is it something in the trigonometric identities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
sec(x) = 1/cos(x)

Since cos(π/4) = 1/√2 (you probably remember this from trig),
sec(π/4) = √2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
Pi/4 is 45 degrees.
The sec is the hypotenus to the tan of the angle.
The tan of 45 degrees is 1
So the sec is the root of ( 1 squared plus 1 squared )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
sec(x) = 1/cos(x)

Since cos(π/4) = 1/√2 (you probably remember this from trig),
sec(π/4) = √2

Ha! My trig is ~12 years old. I did a lot of brushing up in the first two weeks of this course but remain weakest on trig. I'd be completely lost if Chem (last summer) and Physics (fall) hadn't started the brushing up.

I missed the part where cos(pi/4) = 1/√2.

The unit circle in my book's appendix shows that for 45 degrees = pi/4 = (√2/2, √2/2). Given this is a unit circle, cos(pi/4) is the x coordinate, yes? So then

√2/2, multiply by √2/√2 to get 2/2√2, cancel the 2's to get 1/√2?
And then, since sec(x) = 1/cos(x), the secant(pi/4) is √2/1 = √2?

Thank you!!

eta:
DK - I was all set to ignore the √2 video then watched it. It wouldn't have helped, but it was actually very interesting and fun to watch. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Re the video: I never knew that about A4 paper. That makes so much sense! Why the heck are we using 8 1/2 x 11? Which of course is measured in inches and is a whole other discussion . . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Your first mistake was picking up your calculator by default. Most of this stuff can and should be done on paper and/or in your head if you know what you're doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
CSoren wrote:
eta:
DK - I was all set to ignore the √2 video then watched it. It wouldn't have helped, but it was actually very interesting and fun to watch. Thank you!

Numberphile is a great and fun YouTube Channel.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Your first mistake was picking up your calculator by default. Most of this stuff can and should be done on paper and/or in your head if you know what you're doing.

Agreed, which is why I'm trying to learn how to do it that way. I don't just want the right answer, I want to know I got it correctly. I'm glad you and other BGG'ers have been generous in helping when I've gotten stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It was "Trigculus" as the NAME "name" of that Palin kid. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.