Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the time has come, for me to pass on this honored tradition, to the next deserving individual.

In a return to tradition, I have selected someone from a different country (just on the Northern border but a different country , just the same). I knew right away who I wanted, because she has been so friendly and helpful amongst the spare parts and thrifting communities. I have never seen her posting anything unpleasant or mean spirited here at the Geek.

I know she was quite surprised to have been selected but please give a hearty welcome to a citizen from the Great White North, and fellow bits (tokens) collector ... JustPeachy:

I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
To echo my nominator: WOW! I am surprised, nay shocked, to be GotW so early in my BGG “career”! And then there is my inclination to avoid a lot of attention. But with a little reflection, I decided to go for it. Might be fun!

And to echo kingmaker fan again: So if you don't frequent the thrift community, your probably saying "Who?" right about now. I understand! I spend most of my time on BGG on the thrift list, with a perusal of the front page and the Settlers of Catan page to round things out!

The first game I remember buying was Moviemaker. No “International” in the title in those days! The game was reduced in price because it was open and the dice were missing. Even then I had an eye for a bargain! I played that game as often as I could find friends to play it with me. Later on I played a lot of card games – mostly Cribbage and Kaiser, and some board games like Trivial Pursuit, Careers and Scrabble. A few years ago I was working at a Calendar Club/Go the Game Store where the management held a staff meeting. Some of us were given games to learn and demonstrate. I got a copy of Settlers of Catan. It was a bit more complicated than the games I’d played before, but I set it up and figured it out. (It seems so easy now!) After the meeting we got to keep the game we demonstrated! I became quite a fan of the game. One day while searching the web for images of the game I stumbled across BGG. I actually created an account just so I could view the pictures in the larger size! And now look at me!

Two truths and a lie:

#1 I picked my user name because of my love of fruit and in particular peaches.

#2 I had a root canal without anasthetic. It was no big deal.

#3 I have a serious caffeine addiction. I try to quit but it always sucks me back in!

(Ok, I couldn't figure out how to do the poll so if someone wants to create it as an item to the list - Thanks!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoopy congratulations JustPeachy, enjoy your week.

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations JustPeachy, have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
I picked my user name because of my love of fruit and in particular peaches.
I had a root canal without anasthetic. It was no big deal.
I have a serious caffeine addiction. I try to quit but it always sucks me back in!
      107 answers
Poll created by Military Muskrat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations JustPeachy, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Have a great week!

My guess is that #2 is the lie...that or you have a tolerance to pain that is quite impressive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

kingmaker fan wrote:
...because she has been so friendly and helpful...

What a great reason to be chosen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super hoopy congrats to you and hope you have a fun week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice! Nice parting shot, David.
CONGRATULATIONS
, Peach!

After doing my due diligence, I note, without surprise, a decided lack of wargames. But then, female wargamers are a rare and wonderful breed, and I think none the less of you. Although I was taken back by the sight of Blitzkrieg in your list, and will therefor zero in, laser-like, on it as the theme for my interrogation questions.

d10-1 OK, dish - how'd it get there?
d10-2 Have you ever tried to play it?
d10-2A If so, What did you think?
d10-3 I note that it is in your For Trade list; have a look at my collection and maybe we can make a deal (I'll pay the post).
d10-4 If you had to play a(nother) wargame, what would you try?
d10-5 Is Saskatoon Saskatchewan the greatest place name in the Anglosphere, or what?

TC is thrilled (as you can tell) and adds his heartiest congratulations as well.

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, your at the reins now, lets see where this adventure takes us!

Some questions:

What is your favorite thrift find of a game?

What is your most treasured bit (token)?

So what color do you pick when purple isn't available?

What is your thrift grail game?

That'll do for now!

Edit: Oh, and Snowball and Alley Cat say Hi!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hai everybody! Thanks for all the congrats! I think it's going to be a great week... I'm a little late replying because I worked today and I don't have a smartphone. I'd like one, but I don't want to pay the fees, so my dumbphone will have to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
Excellent choice! Nice parting shot, David.
CONGRATULATIONS
, Peach!

After doing my due diligence, I note, without surprise, a decided lack of wargames. But then, female wargamers are a rare and wonderful breed, and I think none the less of you. Although I was taken back by the sight of Blitzkrieg in your list, and will therefor zero in, laser-like, on it as the theme for my interrogation questions.

d10-1 OK, dish - how'd it get there?
d10-2 Have you ever tried to play it?
d10-2A If so, What did you think?
d10-3 I note that it is in your For Trade list; have a look at my collection and maybe we can make a deal (I'll pay the post).
d10-4 If you had to play a(nother) wargame, what would you try?
d10-5 Is Saskatoon Saskatchewan the greatest place name in the Anglosphere, or what?

TC is thrilled (as you can tell) and adds his heartiest congratulations as well.

Have a great week!

d10-1I had to go look through my contributions to find out why I picked it up. What a trip down memory lane! I picked it up with Kingmaker because they were only 50 cents each and I thought maybe I could trade them or something. Obviously I haven't yet!
d10-2 He he no I haven't tried to play it. I bought it partially unpunched and it's still in that condition.
d10-3 Will do at some point!
d10-4 Oh I dunno, something shiny with lots of nice colourful pieces!
d10-6 Oh yeah it's pretty cool!

And a mreow back to TC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingmaker fan wrote:
Well, your at the reins now, lets see where this adventure takes us!

Some questions:

What is your favorite thrift find of a game?

What is your most treasured bit (token)?

So what color do you pick when purple isn't available?

What is your thrift grail game?

That'll do for now!

Edit: Oh, and Snowball and Alley Cat say Hi!

Oh, there are so many choices but I think I'm going to say Pandemic because it was still in shrink and I was just so shocked to see it there.

Most treasured bit... umm, I'll say the cool movie cameras from International Movie Maker for nostalgic reasons!

Purple is not really a common colour in games so I often have to pick something else! It depends on the colours available - I will usually go for bright, deep colours over the pale ones.
Edit: played The Golden City yesterday. After the friends took white and blue I took black. Was in that kind of mood. Must've worked - I won!

Right now I really really want to find a Ticket to Ride game. Any version would be cool!

And mrow to the cats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Wow, so cool to "know" another GotW!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Join The Ravens of VGG- Wyrdstone, Gold & Glory Awaits!
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Congratulations meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats .

a) Have you ever been to Spain or The Netherlands?
b) What game in my collection would you like to have in yours?
c) What game in my collection you dont like?
d) If you could save just three of your games... what games would you keep and why?
e) Brunetes, blondes or redheads (boys or girls, whatever your taste is)?

Happy week as GW pal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats JustPeachy! Nice cat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there. You also live in the easiest province to draw. Congrats and enjoy the week.

Do you attend the annual ToonCON gaming convention in Saskatoon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Just,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naivete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone who has a copy of "International Movie Maker" deserves to be GotW!

Congrats and enjoy your week!

PS - do you ever play International Movie Maker anymore? It was my favourite game when I was a kid and I have great memories of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelete wrote:
Congrats .

a) Have you ever been to Spain or The Netherlands?
b) What game in my collection would you like to have in yours?
c) What game in my collection you dont like?
d) If you could save just three of your games... what games would you keep and why?
e) Brunetes, blondes or redheads (boys or girls, whatever your taste is)?

Happy week as GW pal.

a) Nope. Never been off the continent actually.

b) Hmm, maybe Agricola. Never played it and too expensive to take a chance on! I think the FLGS has a library copy... maybe some day.

c) I don't think that's a fair question to answer since I've never played any of the games in your owned list! wow If I can expand into your previously owned games, I would say BANG! Just didn't like it.

d) My Settlers collection. (Yes, all of it)
Phoenix because it's hard to find
Blokus Trigon good for three and out of print I think.

e) the boyfriend has dark brown hair so that's what I'll say...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luds wrote:
Congrats JustPeachy! Nice cat!

Yes, she thinks so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.