Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, this new title in the A&A franchise is to have a whole bunch of new plastic goodness in the box. This is all fabulous news!

At this point we know that this includes:

P-40 Warhawk for the U.S.
Tiger Tank, He-111. & FW-190 for Germany
AVRO Lancaster & HMS Hood for the U.K.
IS-2 tank for the USSR
IJN Akagi CV for Japan

However, it does lead me to ask, do these new pieces replace the current models(e.g the IS-2 replaces the T-34)? Or are they a supplement to add more variety to the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crsluggo wrote:
However, it does lead me to ask, do these new pieces replace the current models(e.g the IS-2 replaces the T-34)? Or are they a supplement to add more variety to the game?

Wizards of the Coast is leaving it up to the players.

The pieces from 1941 could easily be used when playing the 1940 games in place of or in addition to the pieces already included in those games.

Or they could be used to represent new, distinct units using house rules. For example you could design a new "heavy tank" unit that uses the IS/2 sculpt to make it distinct from the T-34 sculpt.

This is clever marketing from Wizards since this way the product appeals to both new players and experienced players who enjoy having more variety in their components.

You should note, though, that with only 32 plastic pieces per nation the 1941 game isn't going to come with very many pieces of each type. I wouldn't be surprised if there were only 6 or fewer tank pieces per power, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not unlike what they did in Europe & Pacific 1940 games... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Japanese Tiger tanks and British JS-2s.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
crsluggo wrote:

The pieces from 1941 could easily be used when playing the 1940 games in place of or in addition to the pieces already included in those games.

Or they could be used to represent new, distinct units using house rules. For example you could design a new "heavy tank" unit that uses the IS/2 sculpt to make it distinct from the T-34 sculpt.

This is clever marketing from Wizards since this way the product appeals to both new players and experienced players who enjoy having more variety in their components.

You should note, though, that with only 32 plastic pieces per nation the 1941 game isn't going to come with very many pieces of each type. I wouldn't be surprised if there were only 6 or fewer tank pieces per power, for example.

In the end I expect to see a "Global '39"version. This will probably (and hopefully) be the last in the line of A&A "standard" games. Afterwards they can perhaps again concentrate on releasing games such as Bulge, D-Day and Guadalcanal. I'm eagerly awaiting Stalingrad, Kursk, Iwo Jima, Fall Gelb (Blitzkrieg 1940) expansions.

Anyway, in this global '39 I expect to see heavy tanks indeed (take two hits to destroy), the new 1942 unit of "anti-air artillery", a fortification unit (matching defending infantry defend at a 4 for the first round of combat), possibly a light carrier (can carry one aircraft) and a medium strategic bomber-heavy strategic bomber difference, a generic neutral army, perhaps a card deck to add some variety and randomness to the game (commanders, surprise attack, defender retreat etc), hopefully and possibly weather and terrain rules (impassable works in most cases, but I'd also like to see rivers and weather effects).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
hopefully and possibly weather and terrain rules (impassable works in most cases, but I'd also like to see rivers and weather effects).

Given the size of territories in A&A it doensn't make any sense to represent terrain features like rivers. Maybe distinguishing between "normal" and "rough" areas would make sense, but I wouldn't take it further than that.

Actually rough would be interesting for the areas where operating heavy equipments was difficult.
- Defense bonus for infantry
- No extra move for tanks & mechs
- No IC's can be made

This could help solve some issues like Japanese tank domination in the Asian mainland(Cina&Sovjet Far East should be rough). Maybe Sub-Saharran Africa should also be rough to some extend to prevent silly 1-tank blitz frenzies from taking the entire continent too quickly. Some areas in Russia as well. Perhaps only during each other turn or so depending on how much time a turn represents (if you really wanted to add weather).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
boersma8 wrote:
hopefully and possibly weather and terrain rules (impassable works in most cases, but I'd also like to see rivers and weather effects).

Given the size of territories in A&A it doensn't make any sense to represent terrain features like rivers. Maybe distinguishing between "normal" and "rough" areas would make sense, but I wouldn't take it further than that.

Actually rough would be interesting for the areas where operating heavy equipments was difficult.
- Defense bonus for infantry
- No extra move for tanks & mechs
- No IC's can be made

This could help solve some issues like Japanese tank domination in the Asian mainland(Cina&Sovjet Far East should be rough). Maybe Sub-Saharran Africa should also be rough to some extend to prevent silly 1-tank blitz frenzies from taking the entire continent too quickly. Some areas in Russia as well. Perhaps only during each other turn or so depending on how much time a turn represents (if you really wanted to add weather).

As for the size of territories in A&A 41, for example, I agree with your assessment. However, should such a future '39 game be more like "global", then I'd say territories are sufficiently small to warrant the depiction of MAJOR rivers (rhine, Dniepr, Danube, Oder, Elbe etc. Obviously not regional or local rivers...

I'm thinking along the lines of a map such as Europe engulfed or Struggle for Europe and Asia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
crsluggo wrote:

Personally I think the main reason for the new sculpts is to entice existing A&A owners to buy the '41 edition. The lower price point just adds to the convenient "upgrade".

If you're a A&A newb, the pre-existing sculpts were more than adequate...heck, even the 1980's sculpts would suffice.

Just my 2 cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.