Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played this for the first time tonight and enjoyed it. This was our first 18xx game. Are there other 18xx games out there that are equally good for 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
The standard advice is 1825 Unit 2, but that is hard to find.

1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight is also good with two, but it is a much more challenging and quirky game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other 18xx are better.

That being said, not really for 2. There are a handful of pretty obscure 18xx out there that claim to play well with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Other 18xx are better.

That being said, not really for 2. There are a handful of pretty obscure 18xx out there that claim to play well with 2.

Pretty obscure 18xx games by some guy called Francis?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Railroad Barons as well. It's an abstraction of an 18xx. There's no track building, but it does have stock manipulation and train rusting if you guys enjoy that aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
The standard advice is 1825 Unit 2, but that is hard to find.

1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight is also good with two, but it is a much more challenging and quirky game.

1860 is a phenomenal 2-player game. Every game I have ever played of 1860, despite the player count, experts, new players, etc., has consistently taken about 6 hours to play, so keep that in mind. It is simply my favorite of the series.

Most 18xx is considerably "deeper" and "complicated" than Poseidon. 1860 is particularly deep and complex, rules-wise. I would not advise beginning with it if you have no prior real 18xx experience. I would advise it as a first proper 18xx game, provided you can find an experienced partner to teach you, and you are well aware of what you are walking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Smith
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Steam over Holland would be a good bet, both in terms of plays well with smaller player numbers, and relative simplicity of the system.
I for one thoroughly enjoy it, and for 18xx it has a low playing time, around 2 to 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.