Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
nom nom nom
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the jihadist choose to use less than the card value when carrying out an operation?

For example, I announce a minor jihad in a Fair governance country with two cells and play a 2 OPS card. Can I choose to only use one cell and waste the last point?

I thought I could this, but couldn't find it stated in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can:

Rules Page 16 wrote:
8.1.1 For each card played for operations, select and announce one type of operation and where the operation(s) will occur. (Multiple locales may be involved.) Then roll a number of dice equal to the card’s value to determine how many of the operations succeed.

Bold emphasis is mine, but seems clear. Explain it as the jihadists don't have pinpoint control over all Islamist cells worldwide. Given some general directives, your operatives will act to fullest extent their funding and manpower will allow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

If you have 2 Ops, and if you have 2 cells in the only country that you have selected for Jihad, then, yes, you must roll 2 dice and risk both cells.

Alternatively, you could select just 1 country that has only 1 cell in it (Travel your 2nd cell out first, for example, to save it from the heat that will be coming down!). Then you would be limited to 1 roll by the 2nd sentence of 8.4 Jihad.

Regards! vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
nom nom nom
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! I should have known not to contradict 8.1.1 The rules and tutorial are really excellent. Now back to playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
If you have 2 Ops, and if you have 2 cells in the only country that you have selected for Jihad, then, yes, you must roll 2 dice and risk both cells.

Alternatively, you could select just 1 country that has only 1 cell in it (Travel your 2nd cell out first, for example, to save it from the heat that will be coming down!). Then you would be limited to 1 roll by the 2nd sentence of 8.4 Jihad.

OK, I never noticed that the Jihadist player could not choose to under-utilize a card. So that is clear. But I don't see how the work around in this second paragraph works with the rules. Why wouldn't the Jihadist be forced to use the second roll in another country?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark. 8.1.1 forces you to select and announce where the op will occur, but does not force selection of multiple locales as opposed to a single locale.

I acknowledge that that could have been laid out more explicitly. It is not a case that I have seen much (the desire to use less than available ops value).

vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a follow-up question I'd like to get confirmation that targeting multiple countries works also for plots, correct?
So you can play a 2-ops card and plot with 1 cell in country A and then with another cell in country B?

Edit: answered positively here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played in a while, so my memory of how I played this rule is eluding me, but this thread stuck out to me as if I had been playing incorrectly.

For example, if there were 3 muslim countries with 3 cells each in them, and the jihadist player plays a 3-card and declares a minor jihad, can he:

A. Declare it in 1 of the countries and use all 3 cells?

B. Declare it in 2 of the countries, using 2 OPS in 1 and 1 OPS in the other?

C. Declare it in 3 countries, using 1 OPS in each.

I think I remember playing under the assumption that C was correct, but this thread has me re-evaluating my interpretation of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brotherjo wrote:
I have not played in a while, so my memory of how I played this rule is eluding me, but this thread stuck out to me as if I had been playing incorrectly.

For example, if there were 3 muslim countries with 3 cells each in them, and the jihadist player plays a 3-card and declares a minor jihad, can he:

A. Declare it in 1 of the countries and use all 3 cells?

B. Declare it in 2 of the countries, using 2 OPS in 1 and 1 OPS in the other?

C. Declare it in 3 countries, using 1 OPS in each.

The jihadist can do whichever of these he wants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The jihadist can do whichever of these he wants.

Quote:

I think I was reading Volko's response wrong, and that Volko is only referring to an instance where you choose only 1 country, and have enough cells to use up the OPS. In that case you can't underplay your resources.

I thought he may have been saying that if you select a country, you have to use as many cells as you can for the operation. I think I get it now, and thankfully have been playing correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.