Godzilla: Kaiju World Wars» Forums » General

Subject: My pimped out Godzilla game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: VARIANT [+] [View All]
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm copying and pasting this into a variety of forums, so ignore the stuff you already know.

Godzilla Kaiju World Wars is a board game of the classic Japanese monster movies. It comes with a board that is a grid layout of a city, pre-painted minis of the monsters and plastic stackable building tiles. Cards for events and combat and display cards for monster stats and status tracking. I customized it and expanded it to run at conventions. The test run was a small charity convention this past weekend. The customization took some work and most importantly, help from other people. Thank you's go out to the following in no particular order:
1) Elliot Monroe, for making the Mothra and MechaGodzilla expansion monster ability cards
2) Dan Davies, for the ideas on adding jets to the hapless Japanese armed forces
3) Toy Vault games, for sending me the extra cards needed to expand it from four monsters to six and extra building tiles to do experiments with.
4) Litko game accessories (special thanks to Jim) for custom flight stands and fire/smoke markers
5) Historical Boardgaming for the modern minis used for the hapless Japanese army and air force

If you just want to look at some pictures real quick and not read the voluminous description, here are a few photos of the game components layout at the convention. I shifted a few buildings after I took these photos, but this is basically how the board set-up was before we placed monsters and armed forces. There are actual game photos later in this posting.

Here's what was different from what you actually get with the game:
The game is designed for four monsters (kaiju). The conventions here prefer at least six player games. There are Mothra and MechaGodzilla monster stat cards available online. I got the minis for them off Ebay. I needed extra Combat/Action cards for the extra two monsters. I got them directly from Toy Vault. I re-used Rodan cards for Mothra and Godzilla cards for MechaGodzilla. I also needed extra Power Up cards for the Event deck and got those from the whole pack I was sent. I did some text editing on the added monster stat cards, printed them up and laminated them. I went ahead and laminated the stat cards that came with the game and they look great. MechaGodzilla was unstable and needed a base. Mothra needed a flight base. I got those from Litko in connection with the flight bases for the Japanese air force.
Rodan was unstable and was given one of the extra Litko bases.
I replaced the cardboard counters for the Japanese army with some minis of modern vehicles from an Axis and Allies modern variant. They were dirt cheap. Abrams tanks and M-113 APCs worked out perfectly. They had MLRS launchers which I used for the "bazooka" troops in the event cards. I painted them army green because all the green ones were sold out.
I saw an online idea for aircraft rules and the A&A minis sprues came with F-16 jets, so that worked out well. I got a pack of clear flight bases and pegs from Litko and painted the jets white. Jim at Litko sent me an extra flight peg for Mothra that was taller. Mothra looks great. I assign a jet to every monster as an annoying gnat for which they can expend energy to swat at.
I replaced the cardboard fire markers with Litko fire/smoke markers. I had a chance to get some effectively free GF9 fire markers, so I picked those up just to see what they'd look like. This worked out well because it gives the players a variety of 3-D markers to choose from for fire. Litko makes cool radiation markers that I did not get to replace the cardboard ones, but I may get them later.
The stackable plastic building tiles that come with the game have a self correcting feature on the roof that works great when you're stacking them to make them more stable, but it works badly when you flip them over to the rubble side as they are now very unstable and monsters placed on them fall over easily. I got some extra tiles from Toy Vault to experiment with using a Dremel grinder. I didn't get them looking as smooth as I wanted, but they look OK. I ground down 68 tiles to function as roofs and they are perfectly stable when flipped over to the rubble side. I did a Google image search on Tokyo to get an idea of basic building colors. I painted up most of the building tiles to reflect these generalities. I had intended on painting all the vertical "window" sections on them, but that turned out to be lots of work, so only some 3 and 4 level buildings got that extra treatment. Krylon is the best spray paint, by the way. I painted up the roofs of four tiles light green and put a red border on them to replace the cardboard markers for the special "restaurant" buildings in the game. They stand out nicely and worked very well.
Since the game has extra monsters, I put extra Power-Up cards in the deck. I also removed some cards I didn't like.
The game uses specific monster themed cardboard markers to keep track of stats and scores. Since I added two monsters, I needed a solution. I bought six different colored sets of three matching dice. Now the markers on their stat cards are color coded to the Destruction Point marker on the board. This worked out very well for quick reference.
I got some small plastic slip covers to keep the Combat/Action cards for each monster in storage from getting mixed up.
I had some 1" foam 6 sider dice that are much better to use because they don't rattle the board or knock things around when they get tossed all over the place.
There's a V2 version of the rules floating around online that's a little clearer than the version that comes with the game. I suggest you lay out some of the game components, especially the Combat/Action cards, when reading the rules as this makes understanding things much easier.
The following is a VERY basic AAR of the convention game.
Here are photos of the participants taken early in the game:

I had a jam box with the "Best of Godzilla 1954-1975" and Blue Oyster Cult's song "Godzilla" loaded on it for background music, but the event was in a school cafeteria and...I guess they don't trust kids with wall sockets, so there was no cool background music like I intended.
I gave the players a 5 minute or so primer on the rules. Everyone was handed two tanks and one APC to place on the board. I started three monsters on each of the long sides and it was a free for all of mayhem and destruction. Everybody liked the rules and thought they were easy and fun. We changed up a few things on the fly. Power Ups that are used for fire breath and a few other things are fun and don't come up enough. About turn 2-3 I decided to start rolling twice for end of turn events to clear space quicker for more cards to cycle through the deck. I also discarded artillery cards after use. Everybody thought these were great ideas. When you get a knock-down result on a stunned monster you can throw him into a building for extra damage. One of the players wanted to throw Gigan into Godzilla instead. Not in the rules, but heck yeah! I charged an extra energy and told him to use the Throw Object attack card. I had a similar situation come up in a practice game I ran. A player wanted to throw another into a fire space for extra damage. Not in the rules, but a cool idea we let happen. The rules have monster resistance values for the fire breath style ranged attacks. I tossed those out the window. It's hard enough to do damage to a monster with something that requires an expended Power Up, so I didn't want to discourage the fun use decided to increase opportunities to make cool breath weapon noises. Everyone had fun swatting at the Japanese air force. You can expend an energy point and get an attack with 1-2 on D6 chance to kill your annoying jet...but it gets an extra attack beyond its normal end of turn attack every time you do it too. We got to do lots of growling and swatting motions. The assigned scenario officially says it's over when someone gets 35 destruction points. I stated beforehand we needed to up this, but wasn't sure exactly what value. When we got near 35, it was obvious that happened too fast with the building and army unit density I had. We tentatively upped it to 50, but I think 40 or 45 would have worked. With this game in particular, 45 would have been perfect, but a more generic value of 40 might actually work better. If you look at the last game photo, there's not much left of Tokyo and players had to look to find buildings to crush. Early in the game, the 6 person format made pauses between player participation too long. As they got close and started the WWF action, there was more cross player interaction and it worked better. Gigan got pretty beat up and went running for the Restaurant buildings to try and repair, but the other players kept getting to them first and "Stealing his sushi" as he phrased. He got knocked out and later Ghidorah and Rodan teamed up on Godzilla and took him out right at the end of the game. Everybody thought it was a fun game and asked lots of questions on where I got it. Here are some photos taken during the game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cinotti
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Toy Vault...hire this man right now!

Awesome stuff sir.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Mosher
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Fantastic additions to the game. I just got GKWW in the mail last week and have been looking for some fun additions to it. Looks like I found them. Great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heffernan
Canada
Perth
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fire and smoke is especially awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Sölvefjord
Sweden
Skövde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how do the jets function?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get your APC models from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.