Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got what I think is the original version of this game (from 2000) Found it at local Goodwill Store for just $3.99!!! And it was COMPLETE!!!!!

...feels almost as unlikely as a simple Hobbit stumbling across the great Ring Of Power in some dank cave 1000 miles away from home.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I opened the box and saw Shelob staring at me, it was all over....The artwork is glorious! Hope the game holds up well after numerous plays...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned this for some time, playing it both with friends and solo controlling three hobbits. In fact dug it out to do the latter only last night. Meh, the dark lord won. sauron

Hope you enjoy it, really comes into it's own when played co-op in a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
... If it turns out that you do love it (which I'm sure you will), you might want to look for the "Friends & Foes expansion" (Lord of the Rings: Friends & Foes) as I have a feeling it is only going to prove harder and harder to find.

(FFG's latest version of the game is incompatible with the expansions, so I imagine there's no plan to reprint them)

This first expansion (I feel) really completes the game by adding two more locations, as well as making it much harder!

Have fun!

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually won my 2003 Edition for only $1.56 on eBay (I'm pretty sure the original 2000 Edition is from Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast). It was unplayed and tokens still unpunched.

I love the game and actually got copies of Friends & Foes and Sauron expansions (haven't played with expansions... yet). I like the fact that I can play solo too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
... If it turns out that you do love it (which I'm sure you will), you might want to look for the "Friends & Foes expansion" (Lord of the Rings: Friends & Foes) as I have a feeling it is only going to prove harder and harder to find.

(FFG's latest version of the game is incompatible with the expansions, so I imagine there's no plan to reprint them)

This first expansion (I feel) really completes the game by adding two more locations, as well as making it much harder!

Have fun!

N.

Spot on there about F&F and what it offers. I also have the Sauron expension but have yet to use that one in any form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I hope you enjoy the game, Bob. I've had it for many years, but recently dug it out and started playing it again for the first time in ages. It's still great! I particularly like the way you can adjust the difficulty by changing Sauron's starting position.
cool

In addition to Friends & Foes, I really like the Sauron expansion. It does make the game very different because now one player is Sauron, pitted against the other players, but I enjoy that. It does make the game much harder for the Hobbits. But it includes two optional cards to help with that, and I definitely recommend including them.

On the other hand, Friends & Foes makes the game too easy, because you can now win by defeating all the foes. This can be fixed simply enough by just saying that defeating them doesn't win the game, and you still need to destroy the ring. There are other optional variants on BGG.

I haven't tried using both expansions at once; I suspect it might be a bit much!
sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
On the other hand, Friends & Foes makes the game too easy, because you can now win by defeating all the foes. This can be fixed simply enough by just saying that defeating them doesn't win the game, and you still need to destroy the ring. There are other optional variants on BGG.

There's an official variant, too, that addresses this:

Lord of the Rings: The Black Gate

Hard to find, I suppose, but trivial to PNP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
waddball wrote:
xipuloxx wrote:

There's an official variant, too, that addresses this:

Lord of the Rings: The Black Gate

Hard to find, I suppose, but trivial to PNP.

I know, but that's one of the variants that can be found on BGG that I mentioned! Besides, to my mind it doesn't really help on its own. It's still too easy to win by defeating all the foes, even with some of them recycled in.

However, the idea that you gain the two special cards when you defeat the foes (instead of winning the game) has been proposed by several people and is a good compromise IMO. But I didn't want to overcomplicate things for the newbie!
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had it about 2 weeks and crave the expansion already.... Not cause the game got stale (it sure hasn't) but cause it's more of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
I know, but that's one of the variants that can be found on BGG that I mentioned! Besides, to my mind it doesn't really help on its own. It's still too easy to win by defeating all the foes, even with some of them recycled in.

OK, sorry. I read "optional variant" loosely. I just wanted to differentiate between a fan-made solution for this, and one (presumably) from the game's designer.

FWIW, I agree that it's still too easy, and frankly just weird to have the military victory at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
Got what I think is the original version of this game (from 2000) Found it at local Goodwill Store for just $3.99!!! And it was COMPLETE!!!!!

...feels almost as unlikely as a simple Hobbit stumbling across the great Ring Of Power in some dank cave 1000 miles away from home.....

That is pretty amazing. We got ours at Value Village (an equivalent store to Goodwill in Canada). It was also the original, and it was opened, but unplayed. The box was open, but the chits were unpunched, and the cards still in plastic!

Congrats, fellow bargain-hunter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coulda had FFG's Battlestar Galactica for $25 a couple years ago while the show was still on. But nnooooo, I had to pass it up.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.