Subject: D4 Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Tomassi
United States
Melvindale
Michigan
flag msg tools
I just noticed the D4 Expansion of the Objective Cards. Most all of the values have been changed and additional information has been printed under the pictures. Is this a permanent change to the original cards and base game, or only optional values you can use to play an alternate game? It is a wonderful game.

Best Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo García

Madrid
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My intention when I designed the game was to come up with something like D4 expansion has: each objective having its own activation conditions and prizes for the winner. As well as requiring 36 victory points to win the game. I wasn't able to achieve it while still by the late design phase, when I already had decided to publish it. So I settled for 24 victory points and standarized activation conditions and no prizes just to be on the safe side.

After some years promoting the game, with PnP expansions I'm able to go back to the original idea with low risk: in case of broken design I can always upload a new updated version. But as with any expansion, using it is not mandatory. You can still enjoy the game as it was published. Or you can try to take it to the next level by using upgraded objectives. Please note, however, that I have not tested the expansion, only designed it. Flaws might be possible (so far no one has complained, though). In any case, I encourage you to give it a try and share the experience with other players (posting here, for example).

Thank you for considering it wonderful game, I specially appreciate it coming from a player from abroad.

Kind regards

Arturo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Tomassi
United States
Melvindale
Michigan
flag msg tools
As always Arturo, thank you for your prompt response. I have game copy number 1676. Even though I don't speak Spanish, I have one large binder which holds the English translation for each card. I know a lot of your hard work went into providing that courtesy for us.

Question: Instead of each player building a play deck, could each player shuffle their total deck, and then draw their cards from the top of the deck. They would have trust to luck and be forced to work with whatever was drawn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo García

Madrid
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Joseph. It's nice to know my translation effort is indeed appreciated and worth it (I might have thought you spoke at least some Spanish, had you not commented otherwise). Fortunately I speak English (lived a coupla years in the States when I was a teenager, eons ago) and French (more or less), but I'd be in trouble should I need to translate to other languages.

Answering your question, yes, that would actually be technically possible (playing with a 100+ card deck). But then the outcome of the game would depend much on luck. You would not be able to make decicions based on what cards remain to be drawn. The strategic aspect of the game would get quite weakened. Much of the fun on these games (imho) is deck building and then, during the game, keep making decisions based on the probability of drawing the cards you need (which you can expect as you built the deck yourself!). For example, will you activate a military objective risking your next n cards may not be military? The lower the number of cards you play with, the greater control you have over what's coming (up to a point). There's always a luck factor, but the greater the size of the deck, the more luck you are putting into your chances of winning.

Hope that helps and glad to give support in English!
(Now, if I could just somehow get a few additional hundreds of international players to get acquainted with the game... my problems would be solved! )

Arturo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arturo, have you thought of using a Dominion-like system of building the deck during the game itself? It could be quite creative, trying to hold only to the factions that you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo García

Madrid
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
Arturo, have you thought of using a Dominion-like system of building the deck during the game itself? It could be quite creative, trying to hold only to the factions that you want.

No, I haven't thought about that. It could be interesting, yes. But in Dominion you have many copies of a card, while here many cards are unique. Might be a bit unbalanced. Do you have any particular mechanics in mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arturo_garcia wrote:
marticabre wrote:

No, I haven't thought about that. It could be interesting, yes. But in Dominion you have many copies of a card, while here many cards are unique. Might be a bit unbalanced. Do you have any particular mechanics in mind?

Well, not using exactly the same mechanics. Instead of having several copies of each card, creating decks for factions.

Sort each faction into a separate deck and shuffle it (maybe small factions could be grouped, eg. Basques and Catalans in a single deck).

Each player would start with a fixed set of cards (or random, whatever) and instead of drawing cards from a general deck they could now "buy" the top card of each faction deck and put it into their player deck. Diplomacy and battle cards would cost "1" and be in a face down deck. You would buy battles and diplomacy without knowing exactly what it is, but you would have the choice to activate it or not when you drew it from the player deck. You would shuffle the discarded player cards into the player deck like in Dominion so in each different game you would slowly grow your own "Civil War" from all the potential events present in the game.

This could make for interesting choices on concentrating only on a couple of factions but at the same time getting the worse cards from that faction or trying to get the good cards in sight even if they are from factions that will be harder to activate.

Of course, cards in hand will already have been paid, so you would not pay for them to activate them. Cards destroyed in battle would be lost, like one time events, but victorious troops and generals would remain in your player deck.

These are only some random thoughts, I have not tried it, but I think (in a positive way) that the set of cards that you have created have a great potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.