Subject: (Burning) Tigers in the Snow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Feeling Lucky!Microbadge: Order of the TowerMicrobadge: I think we should call it 'your grave'Microbadge: Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds
Introduction
I have to say that Memoir ’44 just keeps getting better and better. The latest and greatest scenario we’ve played is Overlord: Tigers in the Snow. What a fantastic challenge as both sides are poised to attack on their respective left flanks while the prized village of Prekuln sits in the center. The battle lines are indeed drawn as you’re immediately thrown into the fire with a dizzying array of tough choices to make. I think this may be one of the hardest scenarios to play commander and chief as both sides are attacking well fortified positions.

So it was a 4-player overlord with me playing the allied right and center while my teammate was commander and chief and played the right. We (my allied partner and I) were a little concerned as the winning percentages for the allies are quite low with winning only 25% of the time according to the 114 logged plays on the daysofwonder web site. Our pre-game discussion include focusing on capturing the town along with the intriguing possibility of building a pontoon bridge to flood the allied left with tanks across the river. In addition, we knew the Tigers were going to be a problem on the relatively weak allied right. The hope was to put enough pressure on the center to stave off a collapse on our right.

From gallery of dave65tdh

1st Assault
The turn opens with a couple of tanks rolling over the bridge taking a shot at the town while the center Digs In (actually a very useful card for a change). The 2 tanks then move toward the exposed German infantry and fire from the ridgeline. Then in a daring assault, one tank moves to the back of the map for a close assault on the infantry while the other positions itself on the hill. A lucky shot from the hill destroys the infantry (IIR) so the other tanks wheels and fires on the German artillery! Meanwhile 2 more tanks cross the river and take another potshot on the town. The German counterattack cannot stop the assault and the artillery is also destroyed dealing the Germans a serious set back. The killing of an elite Russian tank is not much of a consolation prize for the Axis.

From gallery of dave65tdh

2nd Assault
The Germans attempt to put down this incursion and bring their 2 tanks forward but the newly placed sandbags prove useful for the Russian exposed infantry. I was expecting this and had my 2 tanks just out of range for a counterattack. The Commander in Chief also was expecting this and was saving an all-assault card! Needless to say the Russians got the jump on the Germans as all guns were firing. In addition, the Russian infantry begin their advance toward the city for the 3rd assault.

3rd Assault
The 3 Russian infantry now advance on Prekuln and take the leftmost town after a couple rounds of fierce fighting. They are promptly driven out, but then a second, full strength infantry takes its place. Now the city becomes increasingly vulnerable as the Russians close in threatening capturing a second spot.

(Burning)Tigers in the Snow
Meanwhile, the Germans were not sitting idly by as the Russians struck at the center. First it was a single tiger that came forward to strafe the exposed infantry. After exchanging fire, and some dozen shots at the Tiger, the Russians managed to destroy it. Next, the remaining Tigers came forward in preparation of an Armor Assault. However they were met with a Firefight which managed to kill one more and drive another back. The Armor Assault still came, but only inflicted minor damage and the infantry in the forest. After some more skirmishes, the Tigers lay in ruins, the German sword lay broken.

Finale
With the Tigers destroyed, and the town essentially surrounded, the Russians pepper the town to kill their 13th German while losing only 7 or 8. I have to say that it was a tough fight the whole way until the tigers were dead. I think this is one of the best Overlords as both sides are attacking on their respective lefts while defending on their right. The game really shines and is a tremendous amount of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Hellstrand
Sweden
Molnlycke
Harryda
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Poker playerMicrobadge: Reason user - Synth Workstation SoftwareMicrobadge: Commodore 64 fanMicrobadge: Gamer DadMicrobadge: Mutant: Year Zero fan
Too bad this is the only scenario I don't own. cry
Anybody that have one for sale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
Microbadge: I give board games as presentsMicrobadge: Plays Games with Neighbor(s)Microbadge: I carry my games with me EVERYWHEREMicrobadge: Raising GamersMicrobadge: Gamer Family
A very good Overlord scenario indeed. I manged to win playing the Germans several times, but it's a tough task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Microbadge: Angola fanMicrobadge: Europe Divided fanMicrobadge: Hellenica: Story of Greece Sparta fanMicrobadge: Parent of Three GirlsMicrobadge: First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society member
This is a great BattleMap scenerio, one of the best I think. The Tiger tanks really can make or break it for the Germans. I have rushed them up to attack the Russians and the other player got luck and killed them right away or they got unlucky and my Tigers ran amock in their backfield.

They need to come out with more of the BattleMaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Feeling Lucky!Microbadge: Order of the TowerMicrobadge: I think we should call it 'your grave'Microbadge: Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds
Rolandor wrote:
Yes, I wish I owned it as well and the flip side of the map is Overlord: Market Garden which is awesome too. It is published and it's easy to create the map using east+pacific tiles and troops which is what we did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Epic Translator! 25+ translations: Terraforming Mars/Le Havre/Endeavor:AoS/On Mars/Brass Lancashire&Birmingham/Teotihuacan+Expansion/Gentes DLX/London 2Ed/Cuzco/Forum-Trajanum/D-Day Dice/Yellow&Yangtze/Western Legends/Pret-a-Porter/AquaSphere
Microbadge: Maldito GamesMicrobadge: On Mars fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Men! We have to break through!Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fan
Rolandor wrote:

Same here! I wish I had one copy of this OL BM. I joined the party very late and now ppl want indecent prices for it. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
Microbadge: I give board games as presentsMicrobadge: Plays Games with Neighbor(s)Microbadge: I carry my games with me EVERYWHEREMicrobadge: Raising GamersMicrobadge: Gamer Family
I have searched Polish online stores for you, but no copy show up.
You can easily obtain tigers miniatures form World of tanks or similar production line, but map may be the problem. However - buy two snow/desert expansion maps (which are very useful for different scenarios), make an overlord map and place necessary terrain hexes. May cost a bit more, but you can solve the problem this way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls