Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I acquired the game on January 2012 but it was still virgin in my shelf , too many new games arrived home this Christmas, and the rulebook of this new LOTR Silverline Edition was a bit confusing (when just reading it) so it took a while to hit the table.

But this Saturday my wife and I decided to give it a try. And the experience was so good that we will play again! However, the last scenario (Mordor) made us bite the dust instantly... well, here I go with a brief session.

Starting from zero (none of us had played nor viewed anyone playing), we started reading the rulebook and playing at the same time. And we got it pretty quick (despite the not_very_clear_rulebook an some doubts that saw the light later in the game and surfing BGG )

Me managed to successfully work out all the scenarios before Mordor. Well, I'm sure successfully is not the appropriate word, because Sauron started on 15, and we reached Mordor being both Frodo and Sam at 5 and Sauron at 9, and not many cards in our hands. But with successfully I meant that we understood what to do, we coordinated well each-other and we managed to overcome some difficulties. At least in this first game.

But that last scenario, Mordor, started with the first 4 History Tokens being Events... and we didn't have neither suns, nor hearts to 'discard' so all four events were applied (the last one killed Frodo (me), which was not the Ring Bearer at that time)... and little had Sam left to do afterwards. She (my wife) / He (Sam) was at the beginning of the main adventure path, at only one step to sauron. Using some Gandalf Cards she managed to postpone another event, but then it came the inevitable and the adventure arrived to its end via Event.

We really enjoyed it, the tension, the adventure, the pressure and the story (playing it with the soundtrack of the movie on the background ). We believe we had a little of bad luck in the last scenario (being the first 4 History tokens Events), but being positive, on the next game we will try to save more cards (good ones) for the late game... specially for Mordor.

A weird thing was that along the play, she always drew Shield/Battle/Travel/Pipe, while I drew all the Events and Evil stuff zombiedevil

PD: English is not my mother tongue, so forgive me if the writing is clumsy whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Sansom
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to a great (albeit old) game!

I can definitely relate to your feelings about Mordor and getting smashed upon my arrival there, however I did want to point out one rule item that I think you missed:
The game will instantly end in a Loss if ever the ringbearer is corrupted (dead). Once you, as Frodo, died with the ring, Sam wouldn't continue on (without the ring).

Definitely give it some more tries; and for your sake, I hope that they come out with the expansions for the Silver Line edition, because I absolutely love the Friends & Foes expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajax013 wrote:

however I did want to point out one rule item that I think you missed:
The game will instantly end in a Loss if ever the ringbearer is corrupted (dead). Once you, as Frodo, died with the ring, Sam wouldn't continue on (without the ring).

Nope, either I expressed myself wrong or you misunderstood it . Look at the paragraph just above the Sauron 'emoticon'.
At the time Frodo (me) was killed, Sam was the Ringbearer so he could keep on playing.

ajax013 wrote:
Definitely give it some more tries; and for your sake, I hope that they come out with the expansions for the Silver Line edition, because I absolutely love the Friends & Foes expansion!

Are the old expansions not compatible with the Silver Line edition?
Hmmm, I've heard many people talking good things about them, so I hope sooner or later they will come out for this new edition.

Thanks for your comments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Universal Head LORD OF THE RINGS Rules Summary & Reference

Here is Universal Head's quick reference rules. IMO much easier to understand than the original rules from 2001 {EDIT: or the updated rules}.

Also, I prefer to place all the event tiles in a small felt bag and draw them out one at a time. A personal taste of mine to draw blind instead of drawing from a deck of tiles.

Also, don't forget that you draw until you reveal a hiding, traveling, fighting, etc. I remember my first read of the original rules I made the mistake of drawing tiles until I revealed an event tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Sansom
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:
ajax013 wrote:

however I did want to point out one rule item that I think you missed:

Nope, either I expressed myself wrong or you misunderstood it . Look at the paragraph just above the Sauron 'emoticon'.
At the time Frodo (me) was killed, Sam was the Ringbearer so he could keep on playing.

ajax013 wrote:

Hmmm, I've heard many people talking good things about them, so I hope sooner or later they will come out for this new edition.

Thanks for your comments

Oops! You got it all good then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:

Unfortunately, Friend & Foes and Sauron are not compatible with the latest Silver Line Edition. Not sure if Battlefields is compatible with Silver Line though.

EDIT: Found on FFG's homepage, "Because many of the components have changed in size and design (making the game much more compact) this new edition will be incompatible with previously released expansions."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:

Here is Universal Head's quick reference rules. IMO much easier to understand than the original rules from 2001 {EDIT: or the updated rules}.

Ok, thanks a lot, I'll have a look!

Robman wrote:
Also, don't forget that you draw until you reveal a hiding, traveling, fighting, etc. I remember my first read of the original rules I made the mistake of drawing tiles until I revealed an event tile.

Yes, we did it in the right way!
That's why I said about the 'bad luck' of having 4 events in a row at the start of Mordor scenario zombie sauron

By the way, what a pity regarding the expansions... let's see if in a close future they re-edit the expansions as well (if they did it with the base game... there's some hope )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
Dharzen wrote:

Unfortunately, Friend & Foes and Sauron are not compatible with the latest Silver Line Edition. Not sure if Battlefields is compatible with Silver Line though.

EDIT: Found on FFG's homepage, "Because many of the components have changed in size and design (making the game much more compact) this new edition will be incompatible with previously released expansions."

I would change this statement to "slightly incompatible" rather than the implied "completely incompatabile".

Friends and Foes works very well with the Silver Line edition.

The only thing in Sauron that doesn't work is the the size the tiles. You don't have to play with the dark tiles but there are still a few tiles you are supposed to add (four I think). If you can't get an original copy cheap, you could probably figure something out to make it compatible.

Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel your pain with Mordor.
In my group we had a legendary Friends and Foes game, which ended with a score of 2.
The first 7 tiles drawn, on the first turn, were events. And on the Bree expansion board, that was game over. At least it was a quick setup for the next game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lerris wrote:
I feel your pain with Mordor.
In my group we had a legendary Friends and Foes game, which ended with a score of 2.
The first 7 tiles drawn, on the first turn, were events. And on the Bree expansion board, that was game over. At least it was a quick setup for the next game

woohoooo, that really beats my play
It is at least curious how sometimes Luck gangs up against a player/team. I can tell about that in many games. That should never happen in the first game, to prevent never ever playing it again.
I have some friends that after a game like that (if it was his first game) would never play again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.