4 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fleet logistics and tactical actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Magiris
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi folks, wanted to get clarification on what constitutes a tactical action in regards to fleet logistics tech.

From what I understand there are three types of actions in the action phase of the game round:

strategy
Tactical
Transfer

While I understand what each these are, I'm not sure how you classify some of the other options you have during your turn. Eg playing action card or racial abilities. Are these classified as tactical actions? Ie Can these be executed as part of the two tactical action you can perform?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
TheoM wrote:
Hi folks, wanted to get clarification on what constitutes a tactical action in regards to fleet logistics tech.

From what I understand there are three types of actions in the action phase of the game round:

strategy
Tactical
Transfer

While I understand what each these are, I'm not sure how you classify some of the other options you have during your turn. Eg playing action card or racial abilities. Are these classified as tactical actions? Ie Can these be executed as part of the two tactical action you can perform?

Playing an action card or using an "as an action" racial ability are kind of their own classification - they are just actions, but not really any type of action.

A tactical action is ONLY the act of activating a single system, moving ships into that system, etc. ACs and Racial Abilities are not tactical actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Magiris
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification, the rule book only describes four options available to the player during the action phase and I wasn't sure if there was any intent to include these special actions specifically in any of these categories, or it being just an oversight/summary.

I'll assume then it's just an oversight..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
TheoM wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, the rule book only describes four options available to the player during the action phase and I wasn't sure if there was any intent to include these special actions specifically in any of these categories, or it being just an oversight/summary.

I'll assume then it's just an oversight..

It's not an oversight.

There are four "basic" actions:
- Tactical
- Transfer
- Strategy
- Pass

Then there are special abilities from racial powers and action cards, which supersede the "normal" rulings.
Thus you get the Yssaril "skip" action and some action cards which are played "as an action".

Those are not part of the standard rules... it's the standard rules being modified by another element of the game.

It's the same kind of ruling made in almost any game where cards or powers can affect the normal ruleset.
See: Magic: The Gathering (and just about any other CCG/LCG out there), Arkham Horror, Runebound, Descent, Argicola, etc.

Even Puerto Rico has "buildings" which affect the normal gameplay and supersede the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.