Subject: [POLL] What's your favorite 2-color pair to play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
With Return To Ravnica coming up, it brings multi-color Magic into focus again, and since I am a total Ravnica shill/whore and since multi-color is my favorite thing ever (2nd favorite block: Shards) I want to know where YOU stand.

Poll
What is your favorite 2-color pair to build a deck around?
White/Blue
Blue/Black
Black/Red
Red/Green
Green/White
White/Black
Blue/Red
Black/Green
Red/White
Green/Blue
      98 answers
Poll created by fightcitymayor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed the correct answer. The one that wins.

I'm sorry you got it in there...Blue/Black
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[Note: I am a casual player.]

As I've said elsewhere, while White is by far my least favorite 1-color deck to play, my four favorite 2-color pairings are the four that use White (and, while Red is by far my favorite 1-color deck, Red/White is my least favorite of the four).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My clear favorite three color combination is Grixis (Blue-Black-Red), and my favorite one color combination is Blue.

So you think it'd be easy to pick out a favorite color pair, presumably because the color pairs are all so defined by the limited environment. For example, UG has long been my most hated color pair, as it is totally unable to deal with anything. That is until ISD comes along and gives UG excellent removal, and crazy Spider Spawning shenanigans. In my custom cube I really like a GB Reanimator/Ramp style deck. In Scars of Mirrodin block, my favorite archetype was probably UR (it has been too long since I've resolved a Kuldotha Flamefiend).

Screw it, I'll pick UB. Even though I can't remember a format ever where it was my favorite, but I'd at least be happy drafting UB in ISD, Scars, and my cube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I am surprised at the popularity of green/white.

I am completely unsurprised at the popularity of blue/black.

It is interesting that enemy colors are not more popular. Especially Green/Black or Green/Blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:

I bet that is because G/W is the strongest color pair in ISD draft. The problem with enemy color pairs is that they don't have an identity in every block, and even when they do it is often a very different identity. Adjacent color pairs are almost always supported, and at least in broad strokes they tend to be similar from format to format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:

It is interesting that enemy colors are not more popular. Especially Green/Black or Green/Blue.

I'm one of the ones who picked green/white (it is fun for me as it matches my play style (defense and restoration) and includes my two favorite colors in the game). But, now that you mention it, green/black is a great combination (I have a green/black tribal (elf) deck that I really like using). Good call!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfeery wrote:
cosine wrote:

I'm one of the ones who picked green/white (it is fun for me as it matches my play style (defense and restoration) and includes my two favorite colors in the game). But, now that you mention it, green/black is a great combination (I have a green/black tribal (elf) deck that I really like using). Good call!

Green/Black is often tricky because Green and Black cards tend to require more colored mana symbols than the other colors. It is hard to have a deck that runs, say, Grave Pact and Overrun (just to name two very high impact cards at random). In environments where the color fixing is better (like a cube), this can be assuaged, and the two complement each other very nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Dave wrote:
As I've said elsewhere, while White is by far my least favorite 1-color deck to play...
Why no love for White?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Izzet all the way!

Blue Red has everything! Crazy effects, burn, control, card advantage... I could go on but I will let the fact that about 25% of my 40 some decks are blue red speak for itself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
fightcitymayor wrote:
Why no love for White?

In casual play (mostly theme decks), White just has a lot of boring weenies, and it's just a boring rush to overwhelm your opponent before they get to do their interesting things. As a blending color, that white buys you time to let your other color do its thing, and helps protect those interesting things when you do get it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Why no love for White?

In casual play (mostly theme decks), White just has a lot of boring weenies, and it's just a boring rush to overwhelm your opponent before they get to do their interesting things. As a blending color, that white buys you time to let your other color do its thing, and helps protect those interesting things when you do get it out.

Plus, a lot of multi-player games just -crumble- when you start Wrathing the table with anything even remotely -approaching- regularity. I don't like white, but I damn well respect it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Dave wrote:
As I've said elsewhere, while White is by far my least favorite 1-color deck to play...
Why no love for White?

White is boring, it has no restrictions. It can destroy artifacts, creatures and enchantments. It has access to any number of evasive creatures. Historically, they've even let it counter spells and ramp. This makes white feel like it has no personality, as colors are largely defined as much by their strengths as by their weaknesses, and white simply has no weaknesses. (Note: this isn't literally true, white is not good at card manipulation/card drawing, but that is a very subtle thing to be bad at.)

Of course, all the above can just as much be an argument for loving white as hating it, which is the beauty of this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue/Black is my vote, as it tends to cover midrange aggro-disruption decks with a lot of draw-smoothing effects to overcome randomness. It's not only powerful, but a very skill-testing archetype that plays much better in the hands of someone who understands their opponent's deck and makes judicious use of the limited-but-highly-effective resources they have available. Mirror matches between such decks tend to be intensely challenging to play and deeply satisfying to win. Fairies is still my all-time favorite deck, with Blue-Black Poison a close second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Raffuse
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question! I'm with Tommy in that I can easily pick a single color (black) or a trio (Grixis), but the color pairs are much closer. In the end I went with BG, since I love me some graveyard interaction. Close behind are UR and UG.

White sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For competitive decks - Blue Black

For casual play - Blue Green

(BTW Monowhite is awesome)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Blue-Red! (Casual play)

Green. (Competitive play)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with U/G. Because Momir Vig is a sweeeet general.

U/W is pretty close though, especially for competitive decks.

Red's my favorite color, but I'm not sure 'putting lightning bolts and dual lands in the deck' should qualify any color pair as my favorite . . .

Wedges are definitely my favorite though, since I love anything Bug/Rug/LightningHelix+Counterspells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Red-Green is probably the easiest (and fun) to play with in casual play. It's dead simple to understand and toasts people so nicely.

Personally the most crushing decks I've used have been affinity Artifact decks but I don't keep up with all the latest and greatest in Magic so I'm sure the current flavours of the moment decks have some interesting twists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dave wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Why no love for White?
In casual play (mostly theme decks), White just has a lot of boring weenies, and it's just a boring rush to overwhelm your opponent before they get to do their interesting things...
Well, I think Red has a lot of boring burn spells, blue has a lot of boring card draw, green has a lot of boring mana ramp, and black has a lot of boring life-loss, all of which stand in the way of my white creatures getting to do their interesting things.

delirimouse wrote:
Of course, all the above can just as much be an argument for loving white as hating it, which is the beauty of this game!
Precisely! See above!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to hover above the clouds with my 5 special abilities!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Hold on! I stumbled in here by accident. I haven't played magic since Ice Age, but last time I checked you payed 3WW for Serra Angel (4/4 flying, attacking does not cause to tap).

First of all, what the heck is lifelink, and second how can 3WW pay for all of THAT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:

Hold on! I stumbled in here by accident. I haven't played magic since Ice Age, but last time I checked you payed 3WW for Serra Angel (4/4 flying, attacking does not cause to tap).

First of all, what the heck is lifelink, and second how can 3WW pay for all of THAT?

Lifelink is whenever it deals damage you gain that much life. And believe it or not, magic power level has changed over the last 15 years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AtomicReaction wrote:
Deebs wrote:

Lifelink is whenever it deals damage you gain that much life. And believe it or not, magic power level has changed over the last 15 years

I miss my Thallid deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
AtomicReaction wrote:
Deebs wrote:

I miss my Thallid deck...

I still have one, and it works people over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Deebs wrote:
You are about 3 years too late for any Baneslayer outrage.
Although if it makes you feel better, once she was reprinted, and each color got their own Titan, the rage subsided.
At one time she was a $40 card. She is currently a $6 card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.