United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sites like TheGameCrafter make it easy for user-created content to be easily shared and sold. But what about user-made expansions? They're definitely makeable, but can they be sold to people legally?

I've made a custom expansion for Travel Blog and someone I know is making one for Dixit. For Travel Blog, the expansion is a map of Africa and cards with names of flags of countries on it - it uses no specific Travel Blog branding. The Dixit cards are just solid art on one side and can have the normal Dixit branding on the back if we want it to, but it's not necessary as it won't be able to mix with the regular Dixit deck anyways.

Can I sell these in TheGameCrafter's store, or no? Does it matter how I market it ("Africa Map and Cards" vs. "Travel Blog - Africa Expansion", e.g.), or whether I make profit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't use any of the official art (i.e. no Dixit back).
You can't use any of the official graphic design art (i.e. you couldn't sell magic cards that you make using the official magic card template art).

If your Travel Blog expansion doesn't use any artwork or trademarked items, yeah, you could. Consult an IP lawyer regarding the ability to put "Compatible with X" on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would bet that TheGameCrafter also has its own policies - i.e., they might be even stricter than copyright/trademark law would technically allow.

In fact see here:

https://community.thegamecrafter.com/terms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The relevant parts I can find from the Terms page:

By uploading, you agree that the content:
"-Is owned by you or, to the extent owned by someone else, that you have permission to provide the Content to The Game Crafter for use as described above and, in either case, that the Content does not contain any Personal Data about any individual other than you.
-Does not violate any copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property right of any third party"

I'm pretty ignorant as far as this stuff goes, so I don't know if the content I described violates copyright/trademark/IP or if it's all "owned by me".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be on the safe side you could contact the original authors and ask. I believe they are active on BGG enough to give an answer to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.