Matt Newland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
So I ordered the game Giants on Amazon the other day and it's arriving in the mail today. I'm having people over tonight so that we can play it. Of course, I'm going to read the rules and whatnot, but I was wondering if there are any strategy tips to keep in mind.

Or are there rules flubs that you made when you first played that I should watch out for? It looks like a great game and I'm excited, I just want tonight to flow as smoothly as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: Thanks for all the help and info guys! Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend picking up the FAQ and corrections file. We didn't find the rules particularly difficult, but there's no harm in playing a couple practice rounds yourself in case you come up with any questions of your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure people understand that the way to do well at the game is by helping other people set up their Moai, but hopefully in such a way that they help you more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a rule, but depending on what kind of gamers you have coming over, it's worth stressing that you HAVE to cooperate to make the game work. If everyone just refuses to use others' workers to move their moais then the game stagnates and is no fun.

Otherwise, the game is fairly simple, although perhaps doing a test round will help people with understanding what the different actions are.

There is a reference on the back of the player shields, but like most of the language independent iconography, it makes no sense until you understand how the game plays.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how other's feel about this, but for my group the game is a bit too long. I love it, but it overstays it's welcome a tad. The rule book has a quick-play variant where each player starts with 2 workers instead of just one. We've found that this isn't quick enough and we usually start with 3 workers.

Especially as an intro game it might be a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one rule people tend to forget:

In order to raise a moai, or a hat, you need to have one of your own guy in front of the ahu (i.e. the hex adjacent to the locate where your will raise your moai/hat)

The other key point you need to understand on the very first turn, is why you shouldn't bet all your markers and workers. I mean explain that everything you bet will not be available to place on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that, the rondos don't worth points at the end. (new rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Newland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

Things actually went really well last night. We all made our separate rookie mistakes but slipped into the flow of the game about 2-3 turns in. Turns out we loved it. It's a pretty heavily strategic game that nearly perfectly marries mechanics with narrative. I also like how cooperative/competitive it is. I've never played a game like this that needs as much cooperation with other players but is still competitive. Very fun game and highly recommended.
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
FabienC wrote:
There is one rule people tend to forget:

In order to raise a moai, or a hat, you need to have one of your own guy in front of the ahu (i.e. the hex adjacent to the locate where your will raise your moai/hat)

The other key point you need to understand on the very first turn, is why you shouldn't bet all your markers and workers. I mean explain that everything you bet will not be available to place on the board.

Not JUST the hex adjacent, BUT the spot that the location points to...(i.e. right in front of it)

People don't get to CHOOSE to help...If their people are on the board, you can use them, they just get points for doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.