Popular Tags: [View All]
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Friday, we were visiting Phoenix and had some family over to our hotel room to play some games. There were five of us and we decided on Escalation because we wanted something light. Three of us (my wife, my mother, and I) had played the game before, but it was new to my brother (Roman) and his wife (Tanya). In the first game, Roman was sitting in what we later called, “the Magical Chair.” He ended up with both Neighborhood Watch cards and won the game. Tanya had some bad luck and ended up taking the stack of cards on multiple occasions. After that we reversed direction to see if that would change her luck. Changing direction had little effect so we changed seats. Once we did that, Tanya not only won, but she also had both Neighborhood Watch cards; she happened to be sitting in the Magical Chair.

We ended up changing directions and seats a few other times with semi-expected results. The game is quite random and it feels like there is little strategy involved. As long as you can accept this, the game can be quite fun. For some reason, my mom kept causing the next player to take a large stack of cards so we had to razz her about that of course. This happened so often that I think she actually started to feel bad about it… even though she really didn’t have a choice. (…which was amusing to the rest of us)

In the final game, I sat in the Magical Chair. It was magic indeed and I had an amazing hand. Throughout the game I ended up with several high cards and had several duplicate cards which allowed me to end the game quickly. I also had one of the Neighborhood Watch cards. We were all fairly amused by the statistics and trends of the game because things seemed so unlikely. Then we counted up the final score and things got weird…

Sitting in the Magical Chair, I won the game with zero points. Lisa, my wife, had two points and Tanya had 13. My mom counted up her points and also had 13. At this point someone commented that it was Friday the 13th – eerie. Roman was sitting to my right and we were playing counter-clockwise so he got dumped on quite a bit that game with me sitting in the Magical Chair. His stack was so large we almost didn’t bother counting, but I joked that it may be a multiple of 13. Given the total number of cards in the game, I then realized that 26 would be the only score that could be a multiple of 13. I counted the stack and about fell out of the Magical Chair when I arrived at 26. It was late at night and I doubted myself so I had Roman count. He announced “27” and I felt a little embarrassed, but then he confirmed that it was indeed 26. Of course, I had to count them again myself to make sure.

The final scores were 0, 13, 13, 2, and 26. We figured the 2 is because 2 X 13 = 26. I can’t remember exactly how many games we played that night; it was either 6 or 7. Wait a minute… 6+7=13!!! Ok, I’ll stop now, but it was indeed a very strange Friday the 13th. True story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. I too am beginning to wonder if there are any decisions in this game. I used to think so, but with repeated plays, I'm not sure there are decisions. Play your lowest card(s) that is still able to beat the top card and pray you stay in the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
Great session report. I too am beginning to wonder if there are any decisions in this game. I used to think so, but with repeated plays, I'm not sure there are decisions. Play your lowest card(s) that is still able to beat the top card and pray you stay in the fight.

Thanks. I agree about the decisions. At first I was thinking that Escalation! is a step up from No Thanks!, but now I'm not so sure. I like how the cards are used to score instead of chips and how there are special cards, but the decisions are pretty straightforward. I still enjoy the game and love the artwork, but the initial thrill has faded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.