Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven Wagner
Germany
St.Leon-Rot
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about an all time math trade in BGG?

My idea is something like that:

The "For trade" list is seperated by users into trade values like 0-5$ 5-10$ etc. and desired countries.
The "Want in trade" list is also seperated into trade values.

So if you have a game for trade like Agricola (25-30$) and you search Le Havre (25-30$) and there will be a match with another user who has Le Havre (25-30$) and search Agricola (25-30$), you will get a generated GeekMail with the trade offer.
This also can work with a/or more "men in the middle" as in math trades.

I think BGG is the world greatest trade platform but has no automatism like that. But there are all data available to realize such a great trading platform. The user must only add trade values for their games.
(Some professional trader has already trade values in their comments.)

This "BGG math trade" could run every day every month and help many players to get faster the games they are searching without time and effort. Could be optimized on costs.

The problem I see is to trade over different countries, because shipping costs are really a problem for trades.
Shipping a game from Germany to Japan is about 20$-50$. So it makes no sense to send Agricola to Japan and get Le Havre.

Sven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused by your wording, are you suggesting a continuous math trade? Merely sending out geekmails/email on a potential trade match? Spamming every user every day with all their matches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody already implemented something like this a few years ago, but so few people participate that usually no matches are found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu78 wrote:

So if you have a game for trade like Agricola (25-30$) and you search Le Havre (25-30$) and there will be a match with another user who has Le Havre (25-30$) and search Agricola (25-30$), you will get a generated GeekMail with the trade offer.

It kind of already works this way if you do Bazaar -> Trades -> Custom Trades and select your wants + country. It would find that user who is trading Le Havre and wants Agricola.

Adding middle men to improve trade results is intriguing. I know that many users I contact about trades either aren't interested, or aren't active BGG users, or simply never reply. So trying to get the 'middle men' to reply might be tricky. That's one nice thing about discrete math trades, they are voluntary participation by dedicated active users, so chances are high of it working out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wagner
Germany
St.Leon-Rot
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
I'm confused by your wording, are you suggesting a continuous math trade? Merely sending out geekmails/email on a potential trade match? Spamming every user every day with all their matches?

Ok, every day is not possible. But once a month is doable.

I think it's necessary that bgg user can activate/deactivate an option to join the math trade with their games. If you are on holiday or have no time to ship games just deactivate this option.
This option must be activated by the user after every math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wagner
Germany
St.Leon-Rot
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Tichu78 wrote:

It kind of already works this way if you do Bazaar -> Trades -> Custom Trades and select your wants + country. It would find that user who is trading Le Havre and wants Agricola.

Sure, but I have to ask manually if the trader thinks this is a good trade for him. And this doesn't have the advantages of a math trade.

JohnnyDollar wrote:

Adding middle men to improve trade results is intriguing. I know that many users I contact about trades either aren't interested, or aren't active BGG users, or simply never reply. So trying to get the 'middle men' to reply might be tricky. That's one nice thing about discrete math trades, they are voluntary participation by dedicated active users, so chances are high of it working out.

I think this could work if many people know that there is a regularly math trade and this will grow. You don't have to fill out a geek list or something else. Activate the "BGG math trade" option for the next math trade next month and wait for the final trade list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Heinersreuth
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext is really cool. The best 100 GG I've ever spent.
badge
Well. I'm actually bored with overtext. Why did I give all that GG away?
mbmbmbmbmb
Then, there is another problem:

My copy of UNO is certainly worth $50, but I will be gracious and trade it for your $30 Le Havre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the problem of market value vs. personal value vs. community value. A game that still sells for, say, 30 Euros, could be worth less than a third of that, because it is either bad, or plainly not interesting enough...

Additionally, you mention different value groups, PLUS different countries, and a continuous trade every month. Is this worth the effort? All this going through the motions for the few people who join this time, and the three more next month, and the one after that, and so on...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
Motorkopf wrote:
Then, there is another problem:

My copy of UNO is certainly worth $50, but I will be gracious and trade it for your $30 Le Havre.

Dumon wrote:
There is also the problem of market value vs. personal value vs. community value. A game that still sells for, say, 30 Euros, could be worth less than a third of that, because it is either bad, or plainly not interesting enough...

Additionally, you mention different value groups, PLUS different countries, and a continuous trade every month. Is this worth the effort? All this going through the motions for the few people who join this time, and the three more next month, and the one after that, and so on...?

Math Trades take all of this into consideration. Math Trades usually work out to be 3-way trades. Person A gives a game to Person B, Person B give a game to Person C, and Person C gives a game to Person A.

You put items up for trade and say what you are willing to trade for. So, I may want to trade UNO for Le Havre, but for that trade to work, someone has to want UNO enough to put up another game that the person with Le Havre wants.

You will not get a lessor game in exchange for a more valuable one unless that is what you want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.