Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just asking myself... since I played Caylus at a friend's place the other day, I totally fell in love with it. Now this is very odd of me, since I really don't like the look of it at all, and "look" and art style has often driven my interest (coupled with mechanics and gameplay, of course), and so I started to wonder... which games would you pick if you wanted an experience like Caylus without getting Caylus?

I'll probably end up buying Caylus too once the reprint is out, but I'm also interested in a second comparable title to play with the aforementioned friend that introduced me to Caylus (and to worker-placement games in general).

I should warn you that Agricola is momentarily out of question too, because this friend of mine owns it as well.

Some titles I've found recently that could scratch a similar itch are:
- The Manhattan Project
- Vinhos (maybe overcomplicated?)
- Lords of Waterdeep (maybe too light?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a worker placement game with a completely different theme and feel, try Dungeon Lords.

Lords of Waterdeep is very derivative of Caylus, yet is simple to teach and plays fast. It sees considerably more play than Caylus because of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Homesteaders and Belfort both have some of that "Caylus vibe" for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus Magna Carta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carson City has a Caylus action track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
badge
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. - Isaiah 45:7
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinhos is not overly complicated. I actually found it extremely easy to understand and had VERY few rule questions. It's an awesome game, but I don't feel it captures the same feel as Caylus. It's probably the closest though of all the suggestions.

I've heard Le Havre is a mix between Agricola and Caylus. I just ordered a copy so I can't comment on whether or not it is.

I haven't played Lords of Waterdeep, but I've heard it's kind of like Caylus lite if that helps any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

Homesteaders
Carson City
Belfort
Lords of Waterdeep
Caylus Magna Carta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species (3-5p)
Le Havre (2-3p)
Agricola (2-4p)
Luna (if you can find it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
ZephonSoul wrote:
- The Manhattan Project

This feels very Caylus-y, and I mentioned so in my review. There is a dual card draft, which offers some variability, but most of the action is like Caylus and there is essentially very little luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora is an option, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Florenza.

Like Caylus, you produce resources and build buildings which other players can use (but they have to pay you). There are also more major projects to complete for other bonuses (somewhat similar to favors).

And Florenza is beautiful while Caylus is, Caylus.

Other possibilities... Vinhos is really good, but not very similar to Caylus. Ora et Labora might work (or Le Havre).

Cuba? Constantinopolis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little unclear whether you want something very like Caylus or just another solid game with a similar level of complexity. I think Dominant Species is a great choice as far as deep strategic games go, but it has much more direct conflict than Caylus. I like Lords of Waterdeep but strongly recommend against it if you already have a group that plays Caylus (it would feel samey).

If you like the hard choices of Agricola and Caylus then their euro cousin Puerto Rico Deluxe may be good fit. I recommend the Anniversary Edition because it comes with the expansions and some cool bits.

Of course if you could wait for it Ground Floor looks like it will satisfy that itch as well, but it's not out yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't fight it. If you like Caylus then get and play Caylus. Sometimes you'll learn to like the art and style of a game or the game play can make up for the lack of beauty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sicaria wrote:
Don't fight it. If you like Caylus then get and play Caylus. Sometimes you'll learn to like the art and style of a game or the game play can make up for the lack of beauty.

What he said. There is always the limited edition. Nothing is close to Caylus. Nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William F.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ZephonSoul wrote:

- Vinhos (maybe overcomplicated?)

I just want to say that Vinhos is an awesome game and if you are interested at all in the idea of having your own vineyard, definitely look closely at this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions! Seems like I'll have to check a lot of other games!
Will report back once I've gathered information on all of them:
- Dungeon Lords
- Homesteaders
- Caylus Magna Carta
- Carson City
- Belfort
- Dominant Species
- Florenza
- Cuba
- Constantinopolis
- Ground Floor

kaziam wrote:
It's a little unclear whether you want something very like Caylus or just another solid game with a similar level of complexity. I think Dominant Species is a great choice as far as deep strategic games go, but it has much more direct conflict than Caylus. I like Lords of Waterdeep but strongly recommend against it if you already have a group that plays Caylus (it would feel samey).

Well my question was intentionally a little "abstract", because I'm in a situation in which I host a stable group of gamers who wouldn't ever try something like Caylus (not because length or depth, but because they tend to like card game with very in-your-face elements), while with my girlfriend we visit this buddy and his gf every month and we have a couple of games which are usually light filler + medium/heavy euro. Because I wasn't too fond of eurogames I didn't feel the need to make my group try any as I could get my fix with this buddy of mine, who owns a fair share of the top ranked ones... but as I said, Caylus blew up my plans and I didn't really saw that coming!

Dominant Species suffers from the same problem of Caylus before playing it, only by a much much larger magnitude: I can't stand the look of it! I know it sounds shallow, but I have friends that are even worse than me on this point and I wouldn't ever be able to make them try it. I hope the reprint will fix this game for my group as well.

kaziam wrote:
If you like the hard choices of Agricola and Caylus then their euro cousin Puerto Rico Deluxe may be good fit. I recommend the Anniversary Edition because it comes with the expansions and some cool bits.

Of course if you could wait for it Ground Floor looks like it will satisfy that itch as well, but it's not out yet...

Didn't hear about Ground Floor, will surely check that out. PR is already owned by my buddy and my first game with it didn't really thrill me: I felt like I was just trying to maximize my position and minimize opponents' benefits, while in Caylus every move was more focused on what I want to do next and what I want to prevent the others from doing (seems like the same thing, but in once case I felt "played" and in the other I was "playing").

out4blood wrote:
ZephonSoul wrote:
- The Manhattan Project

This feels very Caylus-y, and I mentioned so in my review. There is a dual card draft, which offers some variability, but most of the action is like Caylus and there is essentially very little luck.

Heard that in more than a single review, and by the looks of the rules I agree that luck is low. At first I was a bit skeptical because you have the possibility to build lots of private buildings, but since there are spies and bombardments thrown in to disrupt private strategies that could balance them out. I'd really like to try this one out myself, it seems the most promising among my original findings.

Normandy wrote:
Sicaria wrote:

What he said. There is always the limited edition. Nothing is close to Caylus. Nothing.

Probably very much so. The more I look into other similar games, the more I think "wow! That's cool! But... well in Caylus the turn order mechanism is more solid... in Caylus you have different viable ways of achieving VPs... a bit of randomness is not bad, but how cool is that Caylus manages to be so engaging with zero luck!" and so on...
Yes, as I said I definitely want Caylus and I'll buy it sooner than later, I was just trying to find another game to play with my friend who already owns Caylus and that could possibly have a wider appeal to introduce to my gaming group.

On a side note, I also had the opportunity to try Vasco da Gama, and while it has some nice ideas (and colorful art) it didn't really felt that rewarding and maybe too "polite" (I loved screwing/being screwed in Caylus).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of Caylus too.
There is one worker placement I like better - Dominant Species.

Honestly, if you like some 'screwage' in your worker placement, there's no better game (For me and my group at least).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.