Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny B
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found a copy of this game! I am very excited! I see that it is highly recommended for solo play. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding playing solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't done it since 1981, but I'd say just set it up and play both sides as best you can--and have fun doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are no special considerations for playing this solo. Just set it up and play both sides.
If you're playing the campaign and it goes the distance, expect it to take about 12 hours, playing at a casual rate. Your first game might not take that long, since you may end up restarting after a few turns, after you've learned the ins-n-outs.

If you're at least somewhat familiar with the historical events of this theater of war, I would suggest you first start with the Barbarossa scenario and play it until March/April '42 (as per scenario victory condition 4.1, page 7).
These six turns will quickly teach you all the game's concepts and rules, since there are many battles, Stuka attacks, encirclements and so forth. If your weather is more or less historical and you more or less match the historical events, it will be a good indicator that you're playing the rules correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
I haven't done it since 1981, but I'd say just set it up and play both sides as best you can--and have fun doing it.
That worked for me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
jonnymut wrote:
Just found a copy of this game! I am very excited! I see that it is highly recommended for solo play. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding playing solo?
I'll 'highly suggest' that YOU 'write up' your "Sessions" in 'comics-fashioning' with a 'cover-art' rendering NAUGHT similar to thus:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Karlsen wrote:

That worked for me too!
gulp "I didn't 'exhale'?" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny B
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I started the campaign from the beginning and am in the second impulse of Russia's turn. So far so good. It took me a couple hours trying to figure out the rule book but now I am really enjoying myself. This is also my first wargame but definitely not my last!! Any suggestions about other solo wargames to look for after this one??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnymut wrote:
So I started the campaign from the beginning and am in the second impulse of Russia's turn. So far so good. It took me a couple hours trying to figure out the rule book but now I am really enjoying myself. This is also my first wargame but definitely not my last!! Any suggestions about other solo wargames to look for after this one??
Can you give some pointers: same theatre, or specifically 'something different'? Hex&counter preferred? Russian Campaign is pretty old (and yes, still good) : are you looking for some other vintage classic, or is new good too? How about complexity? Good, or looking for something heavier next? Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny B
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
jonnymut wrote:
Can you give some pointers: same theatre, or specifically 'something different'? Hex&counter preferred? Russian Campaign is pretty old (and yes, still good) : are you looking for some other vintage classic, or is new good too? How about complexity? Good, or looking for something heavier next? Etc.

So I don't know wargames very well at all. Since I have one hex and counter game, I am thinking that I should try out the other type of wargame. Subject is relatively unimportant, although I would rather not have another WW2 game unless it's one of the more obscure battles that I wouldn't necessarily know about already. I'd rather have something new that I could buy at an olgs. Also I would prefer something that plays well primarily solo but could possibly handle more people. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Given these parameters, I would go for A House Divided.
It's as accessible as The Russian Campaign, it's about the American Civil War, it's point-to-point movement and you can solo it just as well, as far as I can see. And still available, I believe.

You could also post this question in the wargamers subdomain: you'll get a lot of wargamers chiming in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny B
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that game out and see if it would work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for solitaire friendly or any wargame with easy rules and takes up small space and plays fast and fun check out the "Victory Point Games" website under publisher's

They have over a 100 titles and are no expensive.The "States of Siege" game series are made to be played solo. Their Battlesoo series are all easy and challanging as is their Napoleonic 20 series.

You can't go wrong with any of their titles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I "grew up" wargaming with TRC in the late 70's, and it remains probably my all-time favorite wargame ever. You made a GREAT choice! Other Avalon Hill games from that era and are also great to play even today are Gettysburg, and D-Day. (That is, if you can find them!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.