Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vali Lean
United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently discovered RISK 2210 and thought it had a lot of really fun variations to the original – perhaps chief among them… Moon Base! After reading the rules, I was surprised to find out that after taking control of a moon landing site that you had to draw an Invade Earth Space Command card in order to attack an Earth territory. And then I was completely baffled that the Space Command card lets you attack a random Earth territory! And THEN I was double baffled to discover there are only 3 Invade Earth Command Cards!!

I find this so bizarre thematically. I think in 2010 we’ve got a pretty decent shot at bringing something from space back to Earth in a non-random location… it seems like by 2210 the space army should be able to aim for a specific country.

I assume that allowing a player with a moon site to attack indiscriminately (ie, anywhere) must be way too powerful. But still… it just feels so lame to me that you attack somewhere randomly. I guess it was my own misconception – that controlling a moon landing site would be a tactical advantage (setting aside the huge flexibility you get during “fortify position” if you bothered to build a second space station).

Maybe this question belongs more in the Variants forum, but...

Has anyone tried allowed armies to attack from the moon with more freedom than allowed for in the rules?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
That sort of thing is a core component of the interplanetary/interstellar Risk variants that several people(myself included) have come up with. those variants NEED a revamp to that part of the rules due to having more than just the Earth and moon to work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DHMWanken wrote:
I was surprised to find out that after taking control of a moon landing site that you had to draw an Invade Earth Space Command card in order to attack an Earth territory.

I guess that's why they call it a 'landing site', and not a 'launching site'.

Personally, I like that the ability to invade Earth is card driven, and not automatically a player choice. As for the random location, I would suggest that a person could simply increase the # of territory cards drawn, then give the invader the choice of 2 or 3 locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Baumbach
United States
LaPorte
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game, there are 5 Invade Earth cards. Each one allows you to choose the territory you're invading to, but you must commit your troops at the start of the invasion and you can't back out.

For a while we experimented with being able to build a space station on the moon, and being able to launch (to any territory) from it. That made the moon too good to have, so we switched to the above idea. Works for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Too good? How so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.