Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Commands & Colors: Napoleonics» Forums » General

Subject: What's next for Commands & Colors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Mysterio
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
Since expansions 2 through 3 have "made the cut" I've been wondering what is on the horizon for this quite successful series. I've successfully avoided buying in, but feel me willpower waning; a lighter game that is easy to teach and ensnare potential gaming buddies is proving a compelling allure.

I'd think an American Civil War series would be pretty natural, though many of the battles were pretty fortressy, but many weren't, so it could work. Plus there'd be natural expansions: US-Mexican War, maybe Indian Wars? Or do you think more Napoleonics expansions are more likely? Maybe American Revolution and/or (US) War of 1812?

I also think a Medieval series would be pretty slick. Or Renaissance.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for the American Revolution.meeple
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be out of touch... C&C Samurai is next... Samurai Battles

And the Civil War has already been done too... Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
"Recetivism"
badge
RePEAT O-ffender!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LainfordExpress wrote:
I also think a Medieval series would be pretty slick.

And then here's BattleLore.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medieval has been done too.

Battlelore.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But my favorite so far is:

C&C Ancients
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought that WWII would be a good era to cover.


laugh






8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
I always thought that WWII would be a good era to cover.

laugh



WWII has been over done... besides C&C would never work for that kind of warfare. whistle
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And some agree, although I think days of Wonder and RB have managed to make a few bucks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
this might help you sort the chaffe from the cheese

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/50/commands-and...

my vote..

C&C Zeppelin or C&C Vietnam devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Then there's always what I call Command and Colors Football
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Mysterio
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
I think a C&C for Spanish American Revolutions could be cool too: Mexico, Rio de la Plata, Peru, Chile. I bet experience #1 would be required though. Also, American Revolution could include French & Indian, War of 1812 scenarios.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LainfordExpress wrote:
Since expansions 2 through 3 have "made the cut" I've been wondering what is on the horizon for this quite successful series. I've successfully avoided buying in, but feel me willpower waning; a lighter game that is easy to teach and ensnare potential gaming buddies is proving a compelling allure.

I'd think an American Civil War series would be pretty natural, though many of the battles were pretty fortressy, but many weren't, so it could work. Plus there'd be natural expansions: US-Mexican War, maybe Indian Wars? Or do you think more Napoleonics expansions are more likely? Maybe American Revolution and/or (US) War of 1812?

I also think a Medieval series would be pretty slick. Or Renaissance.


Altough a few versions already have been done (in plastic), I think that a wooden version allow much more diversity withouth the hassle of putting counters to differentiate the units.

While it may never be done, I would like the following (in no particular order):

- Command & Colors: The American Civil War
Kinda like Napoleonics but with subtle difference, mainly how cavalry wasnt the same role as was in the times of Napoleon.
(besides, wouldnt it be nice to play North & South and do the battles in CC: The American Civil War style?... yeah, I know, you can do that already with the plastics :-)

- Command & Colors: The Dark ages
starting with Brittain and the French. This can have so many things. It would be like Total War: Medieval 2...

- Command & Colors: Sengoku Jidai
Altough a plastic version of samurai (with 2 games in 1) is coming out. I really like wood (in case you didnt notice) and you can have a great variation of troops and much to expand.

- Command & Colors: Lord of the Rings
Well, this one would not come but who knows... I would like it.

- Command & Colors: Fantasy
Well, like Lord of the Rings as in Dwarves, Humans, Orcs etc. Except its not Lord of the Rings.

- Command & Colors: the three kingdoms
Well, like samurai only in China :-)

- Command & Colors: Star Wars
Well.. not likely but could be nice. Especially if you also do a space version (and why not, I have creative ideas :-)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see the Battle Cry rules re-tooled to make them closer to CC:N. The current version of BC is too much like Memoir for my taste. I like the reduced firepower for moving units, as well as the reduced effectiveness of units when they take casualties.

Perhaps they could add rules for dismounting cavalry, smoothbore vs rifled muskets and artillery, etc. (hmmm - I think I hear my "inner game designer" calling . . .)


Regards,

Jim
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to add: attentive followers will have read in a few places that Richard Borg has a C&C game he is working on for the English Civil War. I didn't see that era mentioned yet, but I'd love to see that published one day, too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:
I'd love to see the Battle Cry rules re-tooled to make them closer to CC:N. The current version of BC is too much like Memoir for my taste. I like the reduced firepower for moving units, as well as the reduced effectiveness of units when they take casualties.

Perhaps they could add rules for dismounting cavalry, smoothbore vs rifled muskets and artillery, etc. (hmmm - I think I hear my "inner game designer" calling . . .)

Regards,

Jim

I'd love to see it, too. But as long as WotC holds the rights, it isn't happening.

As for other periods, the partnership with Zvezda should be most beneficial to fans of the C&C system.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Arontje wrote:

- Command & Colors: Sengoku Jidai
Altough a plastic version of samurai (with 2 games in 1) is coming out. I really like wood (in case you didnt notice) and you can have a great variation of troops and much to expand.

I haven't heard anything about a samurai version coming out. Who is producing that?

dakkadakka1 wrote:

I'd love to see the Battle Cry rules re-tooled to make them closer to CC:N. The current version of BC is too much like Memoir for my taste. I like the reduced firepower for moving units, as well as the reduced effectiveness of units when they take casualties.

Perhaps they could add rules for dismounting cavalry, smoothbore vs rifled muskets and artillery, etc. (hmmm - I think I hear my "inner game designer" calling . . .)


I am actually working on a set of rules for a more detailed Battle Cry that borrows some rules from Battle Cry itself, uses some rules from CC:N (let's be honest, rifled muskets changed the landscape of warfare greatly in the fifty years between Napoleonics and ACW) and also some rules from, of all places, Battles of Westeros. The game is also a bit more advanced as it will have differences between line formations and column formations...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kixdsky wrote:

I haven't heard anything about a samurai version coming out. Who is producing that?


Zvezda. See:

Richard Borg on Samurai Battles

Samurai Battles: Command and Colors Meets Art of Tactic in Japan

Samurai Battles


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Command & Colors game system BEGS for a "Renaissance" set of games. In fact IMHO it's the ideal period for that rules system.

I would envison a mix of rules from the C&C:Ancients and the C&C:Napoleonics games. With a few extras.

I mean, you have cannon, guns, pikes, artillery, pole arms, swords, light cavalry, armored cavalry etc... And the battle formations and tactics employed fit the C&C system to perfection.

I would be willing to work on THAT project!

Spanish Tercios, anyone?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Dedrick
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
I'd really like to see a C&C Ancient Naval Battles.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 80 Years War and 30 Years War would be awesome. Bring on the Tercios in all their glory!

For something completely different, War of Austrian Succession and Seven Years War would be a lot of fun, too (the Austrians are actually good!). A kinder, gentler era of warfare?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Requete wrote:
I think 80 Years War and 30 Years War would be awesome. Bring on the Tercios in all their glory!

For something completely different, War of Austrian Succession and Seven Years War would be a lot of fun, too (the Austrians are actually good!). A kinder, gentler era of warfare?



I Agree. I see these two periods as working even better than the previous C&C games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.