Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often like the idea of LCGs, but rarely find them to be as enjoyable when in play. One of the major factors is because of global modifiers. That is, where one card way over on this side of the table is affecting this card way over on that side of the table because it has a certain keyword. One of the reasons I like LotR as much as I do is that there are relatively few of these effects; if something affects a card, it's often only for one turn, or it's attached to the card and hard to miss!

Still, I'm constantly forgetting to do things. I got the Mirkwood cycle recently and have been playing the Hunt for Gollum, and more than a few times I have forgotten to add cards after questing successfully in the first stage, or before committing characters in the second stage. Or, maybe I'll forget about the effect of the active location. Or, maybe I'll forget to shuffle the Eastern Crows back into the deck after I defeat them. Or, sometimes I forget to raise my threat at the end of each round (because I'm so excited to get more resources and a new card!). It all makes the flow of the game a little choppy since sometimes I try to rewind to fix an oversight.

Does anyone else overlook things frequently? I'd ask for tips to help remember things, but I guess the best way is to play all the cards enough that they are all very familiar and the effects become second nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Thomas
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I certainly tended to forget stuff when I started playing (still do sometimes). The more I play the easier it has become to remember all that stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too! I had to replay Hunt for Gollum after winning it the first time, to make sure I applied more of the right rules the second time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a common problem for me, when I play solo games!
The more complicated and the more "little" steps to do, the easier I forget things.

That's the reason I really like Friday and Field Commander: Napoleon: As solo games they still have very, very simple rules (but still allow strategic play!) so that I forget fewer rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Running
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I really go slowly through the whole phase system, near the back of the rule book, step by step. I even voice each sub-phase thingy out loud, look around the table, verify that I've dome it, etc. It takes longer, but I get through it and feel good when I've lost without accidentally cheating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
I'd ask for tips to help remember things, but I guess the best way is to play all the cards enough that they are all very familiar and the effects become second nature.

Write it down! This is the best way to remember and it will also speed up how fast you learn. Have a pad of paper nearby and write down a very short list of global things you need to remember. Keep it short. Keep it simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
bigfomlof wrote:
Well, I really go slowly through the whole phase system, near the back of the rule book, step by step. I even voice each sub-phase thingy out loud, look around the table, verify that I've dome it, etc. It takes longer, but I get through it and feel good when I've lost without accidentally cheating.

This is exactly what I do - I vocalise as it makes me go through each step card and option. as soon as I slip into a internal 'play the game' mode I often forget. sometimes I really annoy myself when I forget really simple thing things - like 'did I raise the threat this turn' - have I drawn a card - etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L H
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get in the habit of reading each card as it comes into play, leaves play or if it is the active location or quest card. I also read each card used in play during each phase. This slows the game down a bit, but it certainly helps me so I don't miss anything. I usually still miss something somwhere at some point during the game anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.