Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have anything from when you played before?

If not, you pretty much have to start with Beyond Valor and the Rulebook. Then there are lots of options from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think online might be the only way to go if your FLGS is so against antiquity. NWS Gaming Store, Wargame Depot, and Gamer's Armory are all excellent sources. I think I might have an extra copy of a first edition rulebook. But that doesn't have Chapter E and K.

Beyond Valor is a must and I find Yanks fairly essential too but it is getting quite pricey. With the starter kits you can pick up some American and Italian stuff. The Yanks reprint is still a couple years away but Rising Sun will have Marines, Japanese, and Chinese. Add in for King and Country and you will have plenty to keep you busy until Yanks, maybe with the French!, hits the shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone was selling a good collection, here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/788455/asl-collection-for-sa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious and most successful "getting-back-into-ASL" product is ASL Starter Kit #1

It's inexpensive and there must be someone out there who has bought it, didn't like it, and is willing to trade away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
The obvious and most successful "getting-back-into-ASL" product is ASL Starter Kit #1

It's inexpensive and there must be someone out there who has bought it, didn't like it, and is willing to trade away.

Yep, that's true. The SK are a good investment even though if you have already played full. And it's quite more cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW the starter kits are a waste of time!! my two cents worth!! Go all in as they say in Vegas!!

A former ASL player! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackFlash wrote:
FWIW the starter kits are a waste of time!! my two cents worth!! Go all in as they say in Vegas!!

I disagree , 20 bucks for SK1 vs 225 for BV and the rulebook?

PLUS: the Sk counters are usable in full-ASL ( Yanks is out of print , so the SKs are the only way to acquire US gear at the moment)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Jenulis
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rose,

Slightly off topic, but if you are looking to get back into ASL may I suggest attending ASLOK in October. Cleveland is not that far from Grand Rapids and there are usally over 100 players there and venders too. Also, Alex Keys sell ASL goods and is located around the Detroit area. And near the Detroit area is also located the East Side Gamers. They may be able to assist in locating ASL material for a returning player.

Good Luck & welcome back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, I wasn't talking about price, just detail!!

dude163 wrote:
JackFlash wrote:

I disagree , 20 bucks for SK1 vs 225 for BV and the rulebook?

PLUS: the Sk counters are usable in full-ASL ( Yanks is out of print , so the SKs are the only way to acquire US gear at the moment)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting back into ASL is linked to how one left it.

The SK are the solution for a previously very casual player.

But, if he she used to play full ASL before, I would advise buying the RB and BV.

Edited to correct gender error.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it comes down to how strongly you feel about getting back into the game, versus something along the lines of scratching an itch.

If you're not really feeling like you want to dive back into the deep end of the pool, then the Starter Kits are a great way to go. You can go easy with SK1 or take a more committed route with SK3 or the SK Expansion pack. These aren't "everything," but they are definitely ASL and a lot of fun. You can play on VASL and there is at least one SK league here on BGG. The Starter Kits are great way to get reacquainted with ASL when you are not really sure you want to lay out all of the cash for the full set.

But, if you know you really want to get back into ASL, then there is no big reason to get a starter kit game, other than curiosity or perhaps to draw some other curious vict..., er, friend, into the game. Once you head down the full ASL route, you grab the rulebook and Beyond Valor. For King and Country is still around, and maybe Doomed Battalions. Otherwise, the rest of the core stuff is trade, buy from other players, ebay, etc.

I got into ASL through the starter kits and had a lot of fun doing that. My preference now is full ASL. I'm still playing SK games, and will probably keep doing that for a bit more, but I'd like to get more ASL games going. So, for me, I found the starter kits to be an enjoyable appetizer, but I now have a much keener interest for the main meal.

Good luck with your choice. If your interested in ASL, and since you're already familiar with the game, I don't think you can go wrong with either route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
angelwing313 wrote:
She not He
Apologies... and Welcome !
It is a very positive thing to have women join the fun!
I think there already are some rare women playing ASL.

As for me, I never managed to convice, either my wife or my two daughters (nor any female friends) to give it a try.
My 13 y. o. son, however, has been playing boardgames since the age of 5... and, even though he tends to prefer Sci-Fi themed games, I think I will be able to convince him to try the SK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Bogdanovic
Australia
Brisbane
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All in! You only have one life. Why muck around? Get in there!

JackFlash wrote:
FWIW the starter kits are a waste of time!! my two cents wo

rth!! Go all in as they say in Vegas!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rock your socks off!!zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.