Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From examining the map, player setup, and considering agendas, this is my advised first few orders for a Stark Player to fortify the North and prepare to march southwards:

Turn 1 Orders
- Consolidate Power (*Muster) 1 Footman and 1 Ship in Winterfell
- March (+0) footman in White Harbor - head east to take Widows Watch (leave behind a power token to secure the White Harbor stronghold)
- March (*+1) your ship in the Shivering Sea to head to the Narrow Sea
- If voting on the influence track, save your tokens for voting on the Crow. You will want to keep at least 1-2 Special orders avaialble minimum. ALSO be sure to have at least 1 power token left after voting.
- March (-1) on Winterfell to move your footmen to Castle Black and Karhold (they will be staying there for the game - guarding the Wall)
NOTE: if events let you muster an extra (3rd) Footman, have him march to the Stony Shore to grab the extra supply
- March (+0) on Widow's Watch. Move your Footman to the Eyrie if you still control the Narrow Sea
- March (*+1) on ship/s in Winterfell Harbor to move them into the Bay of Ice

Summary:

In the first two turns you will have secured:
- 4 Supply (Winterfell, Stony Shore, Widows Watch, The Eyrie)
- 4 Crows (Winterfell, The Eyrie, Castle Black, Karhold)
- 3 Castles (Winterfell, White Harbor, The Eyrie)

You will have gained a presence in the Bay of Ice and The Narrow Sea, which will restrict the actions of the Baratheons and Greyjoys against you. It is advised to build a decent navy in these areas, and have Defense tokens on them to mainatin this tactical defensive advantage.

While you secure the Narrow Sea, the Eyrie will be secure. The Baratheons would need to take 3-turns to get to you from Dragon Stone, giving you time (if needed) to prepare a defensive garrison there.

You should Muster in either Winterfell or White Harbor each round (Winterfell taking the priority of being able to muster 2 instead of 1). If either have too sizable an army (that you are worried about supporting) march south on Moat Cailin.

Castle Black and Karhold should keep their footmen (you can afford to be down -2 infantry) and have them Consolidate power every round. This way you will gain +4 Power Tokens each turn.

With the Eyrie and the North secure, go after Moat Calin, Flint's Finger and Crackclaw Point. With control of the seas you can move to these quickly and take them fast. Crackclaw Point is adjacent two castles. Take either Harrenhal or King's Landing and you will have you 7-castles and your victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Csaba Sugár
Hungary
flag msg tools
Quote:
Move your Footman to the Eyrie if you still control the Narrow Sea

How can you take the Eyrie with a single footman?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Keller
Denmark
flag msg tools
you can't...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eyrie has a garrison and needs an attack power (including supports) of 6 to take.

The rest of the strategy is pretty sound. You can consider taking Mountains of the Moon to later expand into the Eyrie or Crackclaw Point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would play along the same general lines as you, but there are some flaws to your approach.

zfairborn wrote:
Turn 1 Orders
- Consolidate Power (*Muster) 1 Footman and 1 Ship in Winterfell
- March (+0) footman in White Harbor - head east to take Widows Watch (leave behind a power token to secure the White Harbor stronghold)
- March (*+1) your ship in the Shivering Sea to head to the Narrow Sea

First turn I would do the same opening moves, except put the ship in the Shivering Sea. After two turns you still haven't got a ship in the Shivering Sea, greatly restricting the mobility of your troops mustered in the North. Plus it would support your navy in the Narrow Sea.

zfairborn wrote:
Turn 2 Events
- If you can muster, get a Ship in each of your ports (Winterfell and White Harbor) and a Footman in Winterfell.

If you can muster second turn, then there has not been any Supply card played yet. That means you are still sitting at 1 supply (3,2). You can't muster any Footman in Winterfell, since you already have a 3 army there (2x Footman, 1x Knight).

If you are going to muster ships, put them into the seas immediately (at least for the Narrow Sea), otherwise you have to waste an order later to get them where you need them. You don't need to consolidate power in the harbours since you're gonna do that along the Wall. With 2 ships in the Narrow Sea and support from the Shivering Sea, you should be able to hold off Baratheon advances this early on, since you are higher on the Fiefdoms track.

zfairborn wrote:
Turn 2 Orders
- Defense (+1/*+2) on ship in The Narrow Sea
- March (-1) on Winterfell to move your footmen to Castle Black and Karhold (they will be staying there for the game - guarding the Wall)
NOTE: if events let you muster an extra (3rd) Footman, have him march to the Stony Shore to grab the extra supply
- March (+0) on Widow's Watch. Move your Footman to the Eyrie if you still control the Narrow Sea
- March (*+1) on ship/s in Winterfell Harbor to move them into the Bay of Ice

From turn 2 onwards there are already a number of different scenarios one might need to react to, so I don't think there would be one set that is always better than another. If a Supply card was drawn, I would consider mustering a second time in Winterfell through the consolidate power *token (with a defence order on the ships in the Narrow Sea). Otherwise I would probably march to Moat Cailin with the knight (with support order in Narrow Sea), and one footman to Castle Black. The Footman at Widow's Watch I would then move to Karhold.

As already noted by others, you can't take the Eyrie with a single Footman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider the alternative of march from White Harbor to Karhold instead, with continual CP orders thereafter. Getting power early to maintain your position on the tracks is important, whereas you can usually get by with 3,2 armies initially.
Mountains of the Moon is great location if not at war.
I would suggest muster of 1 ship into Bay of Ice (instead of extra FM - do not forgo ship into Shivering Sea unless you are definitely fighting Greyjoy) might be needed in some scenarios - make sure you discuss this with Greyjoy, so they don't see it as aggressive against them - fighting Greyjoy is a recipe for disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galbi Galbi
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi Zen,

I would like to suggest a little change on your approach:

I would leave the footman in white arbour in order to let him muster until 3 ships can hold the narrow sea, but I would take the barrel in the greywaters tower, where it will be possibile to support also the moat cailin, so I would proceed in this way:

Turn1:
Move the ship to narrow sea
muster in winterfell (1 ship in bay of ice and 1 footman)
take 1 power from white arbour

Turn2:
Move the knight to moat cailin, 1 footman to black castle, 1 footman (via ship on the bay of ice) to greywaters
muster another ship in the narrow sea by white arbour.

At the end of the second turn you'll have the north.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł
Poland
flag msg tools
1) Don't muster footman, upgrade footman to siege engine instead.
2) Instead of Widows Watch take Mountains of the Moon. Also 1 barrel but you'll have a non-raidable support to take the Eyrie in turn 2.

In turn 2 you use the siege engine and support from the footman to take The Eyrie (1 crown, 1 barrel, level 1 castle) - best deal. It's isolated and most likely will not be threatened by anyone until mid or even late game, so you capitalize on all resources immediately!

The siege tower in Eyrie can consolidate power, or if you're afraid you can withdraw it somewhere else where it can consolidate power. If Greyjoys have a treaty with Lannisters and attempt an early rush on Winterfell (they can arrive in your capital in turn 3!) then the tower threatens them with an immediatel counter-attack in case they capture Winterfell.

I play with experienced players and this is by far the most popular Stark opening, we've analyzed a lot of variants but this one seems the most balanced and effective. It relies heavily on keeping the Narrow Sea. You must not lose it, but in general every Stark strategy relies on keeping the Narrow Sea at all cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Xorile
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pawel

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was wondering on your turn 2 march, what you do with the Knight in Winterfell? The seige engine to the Eyrie is a brilliant idea. But where does the Knight go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dr Xorile wrote:
Hi Pawel

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was wondering on your turn 2 march, what you do with the Knight in Winterfell? The seige engine to the Eyrie is a brilliant idea. But where does the Knight go?

I would keep it on Winterfell. If a muster does not come you will want it there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.