Subject: Gambler question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ce noob
Singapore
flag msg tools
"Afterwards, conclude the
encounter normally using the revealed cards."

Does this sentence apply to Gambler or just his opponent? It kind of weakens him if the power affected himself as that'll cost him twice the ships if he lost. Then again he isn't called a Gambler for nothing.

I've also read a thread discussing whether the ships lost from bluffing can come from the hyperspace gate or not. To me, it doesn't make sense to allow ships to be lost from the gate because afterwards during the encounter, you simply lose the fight with 0 ships. Allowing this nerfs Gambler's power to make people potentially lose double.

Your clarifications are appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
cenoob wrote:
"Afterwards, conclude the
encounter normally using the revealed cards."

I don't understand the question. How could the rules of encounter resolution apply to only one player and not the other?

However, I can confirm that the Gambler can indeed increase its own ship loss, and that those lost ships cannot already be involved in the encounter (otherwise, the Gambler is a borderline non-power).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ce noob
Singapore
flag msg tools
Sorry, I misunderstood some of the text and I realize what a mess my first question is now.

So assuming both main players use 4 ships, if I get caught lying about my card, I lose 4 ships. Then the encounter begins and if my attack is lower, I lose another 4.

If he calls even when I'm not lying, he loses 4 ships. Then the encounter begins and if he loses, another 4 go to the warp. If he wins, 4 of mine are taken away instead.

Is that it?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
cenoob wrote:
Sorry, I misunderstood some of the text and I realize what a mess my first question is now.

So assuming both main players use 4 ships, if I get caught lying about my card, I lose 4 ships. Then the encounter begins and if my attack is lower, I lose another 4.

If he calls even when I'm not lying, he loses 4 ships. Then the encounter begins and if he loses, another 4 go to the warp. If he wins, 4 of mine are taken away instead.

Is that it?

Thanks.

That is correct.

There are two instances of ship loss: the usual one for losing an encounter, and an extra one if the bluff is called, applied to either the Gambler or the opponent depending on whether the Gambler spoke the truth. These two instances are independent, can be applied to different sides, and stack with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Gambler were not affected by his own ante, he would say 20 every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.