Subject: Playing against a 4 year old - SO v Benders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my son caught me watching a video review of Summoner Wars and insisted on playing. I thought I'd give a quick run down on what happened, and how he got on with the game.

So before starting I'd played a couple of games 'solo' to get a feel for it. I then found a decent idea in the variants section for playing with young kids, so here are the rules we used:

Basically we ignored all text on the cards. All we used was summoning costs, attack value and type, and life points. Walls were used normally, movement and attack was used normally. Event cards basically became used to build magic.

I let him pick the decks - he chose the Swamp Orcs, and gave me the Benders - which was quite good as I was expecting an easy victory for him as without their special abilities Benders are frail.

I wont bore you all with a turn by turn breakdown (not that I remember it even if I wanted to) but I'll give some of my overall thought.

- Firstly, my son quickly grasped the movement idea and surprisingly was quite tactical.
- He quickly understood the concept of attack value and how many dice to roll, and also how many hits he needed to kill something.
- It didn't take him too many turns before he knew exactly how many hits he had just rolled, and whether the defending unit was dead or not.
- He also knew how many cards to pick up each turn.

In terms of tactics he did pretty much what I would have done, only a couple of times did I need to suggest alternatives.

So an easy win for the Swamp Orcs then? Not quite!

It actually became quite close, I managed to box in his summoner and keep chipping away at his life points. Equally he managed to get one of his champions through my lines and go face to face with my summoner. It all looked over for the Benders till a big blunder by the Swamp Orcs (which was actually my fault). Trying to be a bit too aggressive and finish the game, they left a route open for one of my Benders to attack Mugglugg. The Swamp Orcs missed one of their rolls, meaning my Summoner lived to fight one last turn. My Controller (I think it was), went next to Mugglugg and rolled her 2 dice attacks, needing two hits to kill the Orc and end the battle.

The die were rolled.....
a 6 and a 4

Mugglugg was history, Benders somehow pulled off a remarkable victory! My Summoner ended with one life remaining.

My son was disappointed to lose (and I felt guilty as he wasn't going to make the move I told him to make - oops), but enjoyed the game and wants to play again today!

I love this variant - it provides a simple game that really young kids can play, and also allows you to tailor the challenge. With hindsight, if my son had parked Mugglugg in the corner out of harms way, he would have steamrollered me. Also the variant really changes how you feel about commons. It makes the Champions much less valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just fyi, deceivers only get 1 attack die... (you may have meant "controller")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it was probably a Controller - as we weren't playing with the card text (and I'm new to the game) the actual unit 'name' didn't matter that much.

However I'll edit the session report for clarity :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to play with my nephews and my own children soon 2&3 a bit to young. I'm pleased to hear how well it transfers to a simpler variant even if it isn't 100% balanced. I'm sure you and your son really enjoy the quality time together. Keep investing in your kid(s) you seem like a great dad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the fact it's not balanced actually helps - after all the only reason to use the variant is to play against young kids, so it's a nice little handicap :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.