Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: Every Lose this way? Soviet Plays "Ask Not Wat..." forces a US Loss.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Anderson
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
Turn 6 AR6...

US Holding a 2ops card, SA Scoring, Adele

I'm holding a 2 ops card (irrlevant to action) and use it to move into Brazil from Colombia. I'm the only one in the region and held SA Scoring to this point because it took some work to get there... I exit the round holding

SA Scoring
Adele

Turn 6, AR 7

Soviet - Plays "Ask Not What,..." His action is irrelevant, other than I'm still the only presence in SA. He triggers the event.

Since there is no reason no reason not to play SA scoring at this point, and no reason to hold Adele, I discard Adele.

I draw SE Asia Scoring...

I go into my phase with no way to play both scoring cards, ergo - I lose the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

That is some dumb luck. I have not heard of a loss coming in this sort of fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost had something similar.

Discarded 3 cards and got 2 Scoring cards. Never done it any more. Now I always keep at least 1 card in my hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zwiers
Netherlands
Overijssel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, thats a risk... At least know you'll never forget this could happen!

Quote:
I'm holding a 2 ops card (irrlevant to action) and use it to move into Brazil from Colombia

As a technical points: this is impossible as Venezuela is in the way going from Colombia to Brazil...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many scoring cards were left in the deck? On turn six you are due for a reshuffle (turn 7) so you may have been tempting fate as it is. Another reason to count the scoring cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Excuse me, but I don't know all of the nicknames, who's Adele?

Never lost this way, but once read a thread about being careful about this, since then never have discarded more cards than round available. still you had 1 round and only discarded 1 card, tough luck there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume Adele = Allende.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Adele is a british singer I think, but I also assume it's allende he's talking about.

And, yes that sort of loss happens, since you also hold SA, it was a mistake to dump him with Ask not..

Well, you had fun and learned a lesson.

New game.

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anderson
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
Haring wrote:

Well, you had fun and learned a lesson.

Not sure about the "fun" part, but definitely learned a lesson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you play SA Scoring, Allende is much less impactful. I'd have kept him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.